The Modern Seven Pillars of Iraq

Nehustan

On ROPS
On ROPs
Hmm just a thought but wasn't Lawrence run out of the Cairo Arab Bureau (FO), while the Gulf States including Mesopotamia by the India Office?? There's a whole debate right there about varying interests. Did Cox write a book or do we just have his letters??? Maybe Lawrence's article in the Times of 1920 might be more fitting than the Seven Pillars...

[align=center]A Report on Mesopotamia[/align]

From Nehustan's link :A Report on Mesopotamia

The people of England have been led in Mesopotamia into a trap from which it will be hard to escape with dignity and honour. They have been tricked into it by a steady withholding of information. The Baghdad communiques are belated, insincere, incomplete. Things have been far worse than we have been told, our administration more bloody and inefficient than the public knows. It is a disgrace to our imperial record, and may soon be too inflamed for any ordinary cure. We are to-day not far from a disaster.
What more need to be said?

Nehustan

On ROPS
On ROPs
Devil_Dog said:
From Nehustan's link :A Report on Mesopotamia

The people of England have been led in Mesopotamia into a trap from which it will be hard to escape with dignity and honour. They have been tricked into it by a steady withholding of information. The Baghdad communiques are belated, insincere, incomplete. Things have been far worse than we have been told, our administration more bloody and inefficient than the public knows. It is a disgrace to our imperial record, and may soon be too inflamed for any ordinary cure. We are to-day not far from a disaster.
What more need to be said?
The irony is TW's signature...but then I guess that somebody who is fast asleep would like it....

Nehustan:

I still like the statement and respect the man who wrote it! I also like this one too.:

"To make war upon rebellion is messy and slow, like eating soup with a knife" -TE Lawrence.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Mr Happy The Book Club 21
gallowglass Infantry 63
C The NAAFI Bar 7