The Mobile you need a TV License for...

Daily Mail

The spokesman added: "TV Licensing regulations apply to all those watching live TV programmes in the UK. It is not a defence to be a visitor.
8O

Planning On watching the World Cup on your PC or catching the latest episodes of 24 on your mobile? Then be warned - you'll need a TV licence.

The men with the detector vans are warning that anyone caught watching streamed programmes over the internet or on their phone without a licence will face the same £1,000 fine as if they were watching it on TV at home.
:evil: Tv Licensing REALLY hacks me off!!Blimey your not even safe if your here on Holiday FFS!!

Well, that'll just about write off 3G in the UK.

Wonder what the mobile companies think.

I suspect with the money already invested in 3G and the financial clout these companies wield the BBC might be in for a rude awakening if they try and push this. Big business is not going to sit back and let some been counting pencil pusher screw up their profits.

If the TV Licence were actually a licence for a certain kind of equipment, I'd agree.

It is actually a Government imposed tax and therefor is unlikely to bend to commercial pressure.

Edit:- Mind you, unlike the situation with a TV set or a video recorder, it would be up to the taxing authority to prove that you had been in reciept of "television broadcasts"....

Manchester_Rogue said:
Also, if you're watching TV through, say, your PC, how can they "know" about it?
When you buy a device that can pick up TV transmissions in the UK the retailer must by law take you home details for inclusion onto the TV licencing database although I've never been asked to prove my address when asked so I suppose you could just use anything.

In the old days TV detector vans could pick up the radiated energy produced by CRT tellies, which varies dependant on the channel being watched. Obviously with the increase in sales of LCD/plasma/PC based TV systems a change in law was required and hence the use of the point of sale address request.

Funny enough I bought a TV card for the PC as a christmas pressie this year and wasn't asked... A fact that I remarked on to the person I gave it to. Mind you I always give a bum address at point of sale for any purchace, TV related or otherwise. Secret is to ensure that you get the right postcode :wink:

If you want all the in's and out's about the TV nazis and what they can and can't do go to

http://www.tvlicensing.biz/

You have a bit of reading to do, and the Good King Nige in the letters page is worth a read (PMSL).

J

mereminx said:
Daily Mail
The spokesman added: "TV Licensing regulations apply to all those watching live TV programmes in the UK. It is not a defence to be a visitor.
8O
Planning On watching the World Cup on your PC or catching the latest episodes of 24 on your mobile? Then be warned - you'll need a TV licence.The men with the detector vans are warning that anyone caught watching streamed programmes over the internet or on their phone without a licence will face the same £1,000 fine as if they were watching it on TV at home.
:evil: Tv Licensing REALLY hacks me off!!Blimey your not even safe if your here on Holiday FFS!!
Might even be forced to watch Brit troops going about their arresting tasks in Iarq eh?

There is a fare amount of, 'FUD', here. If you have a licence for your TV at home you will not be expected to have another licence for your mobile device.