• This is a stand-to for an incoming competition, one of our most expensive yet.
    Later this week we're going to be offering the opportunity to Win £270 Rab Neutrino Pro military down jacket
    Visit the thread at that link above and Watch it to be notified as soon as the competition goes live

The MMA Thread

So how many of you have dabbled in this? I've been doing it 4-5 times a week for a fair while now and my fitness has sky rocketed.

We had Ian Free-man ( British Light Heavyweight champion, 6 times UFC veteran,pancrase champion etc) come down the gym the other night for a few hours taught us bloody loads was a cracking night.

So can use this thread for anything MMA/martial arts related advice, problems, training tips etc :?
:twisted:
Cal

Ian is a friend of mine and the man who got me into MMA but he aint the cage rage champion

So this thread isn't about car travel allowances then?

Aye my bad just noted and edited. I seem to remember you saying in a thread you was fighting for the para reg in something, is boxing the only combat sport the forces does?

Yeah i was headlining a show in Catterick at the weekend against an opponent from the Warsaw MMA Club which i won by GnP in Rd 2.

Boxing and Judo are the 2 biggest combat sports the Army does.

It does have a very small kendo club as it was mentioned in Soldier a while ago, but I can't seem to find anything about it though.

I saw Ian Free-man in 2006 against Melvin Manhoef, whilst cheering on an old friend. Pleased to say that the guy I was there to support lasted longer than Free-man!

its F R E E M A N not Free-man

my apologies

Ian F is fighting at CageRage in Birmingham in May. Chuck Liddell fighting in London on June 7th so its a good time to be a MMA fan in the UK.

Question - Who would win between Fedor and Couture?

I reckon Fedor would win. Absolutely awesome fighter

I practise BJJ, Kickboxing and Kali. I don't compete in MMA, because I can't get enough training sessions in to prepare for competition. but I respect those who do step into the Cage. A very tough sport.

If and when I re-enlist I would like to start boxing. Completely new to it all. Would I be thrown in at the deep end?

Sandy_The_Guvnor said:
Yeah i was headlining a show in Catterick at the weekend against an opponent from the Warsaw MMA Club which i won by GnP in Rd 2.

Talking of Judo. I need to work on my grappling/groundwork. Is there a particular school of Judo that stands out above the rest?

hong_kong_fuey said:
Sandy_The_Guvnor said:

Talking of Judo. I need to work on my grappling/groundwork. Is there a particular school of Judo that stands out above the rest?
If you want to train GROUNDWORK, as opposed to stand-up grappling/throwing, then Brazilian JuJutsu, Combat Submission Wrestling and Mixed Martial Arts are the best.

Judo groundwork is limited by the rules of competiton: Judoka only have a limited amount of time on the ground before the ref. stands them up again. Judoka tend to concentrate on throwing, since most Ippons(full points)are awarded for throws.

I practice Ju Jitsu and Muay Thai, the natural progression will be MMA, hopefully if I get into the Regs then I'll be able to pursue it.

How are the Krav Maga lessons going up at Catterick Sandy?

Sandy - do you think MMA is the toughest sport? Or are Boxing, Muay Thai etc just as hard?

Werewolf said:
hong_kong_fuey said:
Sandy_The_Guvnor said:

If you want to train GROUNDWORK, as opposed to stand-up grappling/throwing, then Brazilian JuJutsu, Combat Submission Wrestling and Mixed Martial Arts are the best.

Judo groundwork is limited by the rules of competiton: Judoka only have a limited amount of time on the ground before the ref. stands them up again. Judoka tend to concentrate on throwing, since most Ippons(full points)are awarded for throws.
That's certainly true of judo competition, but most clubs I've trained at spend 40-50% of the time on the ground.

The limited time for groundfighting in competition is intended to reward fast, decisive work. BJJ permits a longer, more strategic groundgame. Personally I reckon it's 2 sides of the same coin ...

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
thegimp ARRSE: Site Issues 108
meridian Royal Air Force 888
Tibbins Sports, Adventure Training and Events 38