The Millies- For and against views?

Discussion in 'The NAAFI Bar' started by rogue_trader, Dec 18, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I read an article about the millies recently but all it had was pictures upon pictures of celebrities and what they would be wearing/who they are screwing and then, as an after note, a picture of Ricky Fergusson at the end as almost an afternote. It made me wonder who the millies are actually staged for, celebrities to get photographed or the service people to be awarded. The celebrities & the sun will all make some dosh/pr connections out of this but where will the soldiers be in 30,40 years time when all the war is forgotten?

Do they add value to, or overshadow presentation of medals by the Queen?

I don’t know enough about the awards back workings and the morale they create in receiving units, to personally draw a conclusion but it seems to me that the SUN is milking this today and tomorrow would be the first to print pictures of 'soldiers pissing on an iraqi' if it sold papers. But I am inherently distrusting of the SUN having worked freelance for them when I was studying to be journo so would like to hear opinions from both sides of the fence.

What are peoples views on the 'millies' awards by the sun. Do they do more for the soldiers who the praise or just put money in the pockets of the sun newspaper and help them to fill pages?
  2. Did they have service personnel there ??
  3. um... is this a wah?
  4. What's a Wah??
    • Like Like x 1
  5. thats a nice try.
  6. Henno was there. ;-)
  7. I thought I recognised him

:excited: :judge:
  8. When Gen Fry talks about the mawkishness of some public attitudes to the military - this sort of thing is bang on the money. It flies in the face of the culture of selfless service that was ingrained from day one. Serious concerns about the longevity of this bauble - once Afghan starts to draw down and public interest wanders, where does it go? Presumably tries to slip quietly out of the back door. As for the currant bun, I wouldn't wrap my chips in it.

PS I'm aware that you are also probably a stinking journo looking for a quote like this, but actually I don't care - fill your boots.
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Dry your eyes sweetheart, you might get an award next year.
    • Like Like x 2
  10. Ord_Sgt

Ord_Sgt RIP

It may originate from the sun, with a bunch of celebs getting off on it but if it directs attention to those that deserve it, as I believe it does, then who cares?

It was Churchill who said “If Hitler invaded hell I would make at least a favorable reference to the devil in the House of Commons.”
  11. Load of bollox, do you really need Phil Schoffield to tell you you've done a good (PR worthy) job?
  12. Perhaps for many this is the only information they get and this may be the only type of media the majority understand.
  13. And this circus fixes that how? Can't help but think the Sun 'n the celebs have more to gain - they can stick their hands in their overly deep pockets, without the cameras, if they want to do something really significant.
  14. I don't know mate but it seems more people talk about prime time TV than what happens in real life.
  15. Its sponsored by the Sun. What else do you need to know?