Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. 'When I were a lad' HM Forces were called the armed forces or the armed services when being spoke about in general conversation or correspondence. I have, however, noticed a trend and it is also prevalent in ARRSE, to the Americanism of 'the military'. People even talk of their time in the military.

Is it me just getting grey and fuzzy in all areas, physical and mental and/or settling into the stereotypical grump trying to hold on to a past traditions that are slipping away because it doesn't really matter in this shrinking world?

2. RP578

RP578 LE Book Reviewer

I always quite liked the way Americans referred to the military in general as 'the Service' i.e. "I learned that when I was in the Service" etc. I think people here still use 'the Forces' in the same way.

Traditionally though, 'being in service' in Britain referred work as a maid in the big house!

3. Just checked in the dictionary... Unfortunately "military" can also be a noun, so "the military" must be legitimate.

(It does grate, though, doesn't it?)

4. I remember my Grandmother (a good Cork lass), when told I'd joined the army, saying, "So, he's gone for a soldier."

None of these new-fangled "armed forces" or "the military" expressions for her.

5. So the Royal Navy, Army and Royal Air Force* are not Military then? Funny, I thought they were. I would use 'The Military' and 'The Armed Forces' as a collective noun when not talking about a specific part of the Forces.

*I know, before you start with the "RAF isn't military they're a bunch of civvies in uniform blah blah blah..."

6. If you know (my bold) why did you include them in this debate??

Personally I always say "the Services" or "the Army"...though the expression the Services became more confusing with the introduction of the motorway network...

7. Yeah, but although we may be "One Army", we haven't yet stooped to "One Military". There's only the Marines and RAF Regt who are confused over which branch of the Armed Forces that they serve in.

edit:

Oh, and the RNAS, or whatever they call themselves these days.

8. The 'Forces' always works for me. Nice and generic, and if I am feeling a little informal, 'the mob'.
    :soldier:

9. HM Forces

10. Used to hear that quite a bit, I usually replied 'The Sopranos'.

11. 'Squaddy' - a venomous, perjorative and loathesome term .

'The Mob' - a semi--perjorative term and common currency among ex-National Servicemen.

'Army Man' - used rarely but teeth-grindingly irritating.

'Service People' - politically correct and wholly alien.

'Soldiers' - gender- neutral, functionally accurate and of respectable antiquity.

12. [quote="Legs"]So the Royal Navy, Army and Royal Air Force* are not Military then?

*I know, before you start with the "RAF isn't military they're a bunch of civvies in uniform blah blah blah..."[/quote]

Well, loosely speaking, lets not be uncharitable towards the precious darlings :lol:

13. In Australia; AJ's-Army Jerks (especially in Townsvile, no typo, it's vile)