The #MeToo movement - a warning from history?

A witness to the execution of Robespierre noted in 1794 that revolutions have a tendency to eat their own children - a statement that has proved remarkably insightful throughout history.

The most shrill and radical of revolutionaries are ultimately found unable to maintain the standards they have set for others. The accuser becomes the accused and faces swift judgement followed by a final journey in the tumbril cart. Of course then it was a kiss from Madame Guillotine or perhaps more recently a firing squad consisting of former comrades in arms. But now we are civilised and don’t kill people. We don’t have to - we have social media.

And if any further proof were needed that history repeats itself, first as tragedy then as farce you only need to look at the #MeToo movement, the campaign that started in Hollywood encouraging women to speak out against sexual harassment, and which is spreading its ideas throughout the workplaces of the world.

#MeToo bears all the attitudes of the regimes that Robespierre would recognise; anyone can be accused - in fact the higher up in society they are the better. Evidence is unnecessary and guilt can be implied by the accuser's own words. The more they deny their crimes the guiltier they are. Public ridicule and loss of status quickly follows, then the involvement of the authorities.

All this is of course is fanned by social media which seems often beyond the reach of reason and the law when it comes to questions of misbehaviour.

But the #MeToo revolutionaries seem to have failed to learn the lessons of their forebears by neglecting to bury any witnesses to their hypocrisy.

Last week it was revealed that Asia Argento, the first women to accuse Harvey Weinstein of rape and a key figure in the #MeToo movement paid $380,000 to a boy she is accused of sexually assaulting when he was under the age to consent. To be fair to her she has denied the offence and said the payment was to help the boy out. But despite her protestations she has been purged by the movement and has effectively become a non person as far as they and the other celebrity ’survivors’ (as they like to call themselves) are concerned.

Where this leaves the #MeToo movement nobody knows, but in a final nod to the past Argento (via social media), like Robespierre before her has appealed for due process to occur before she is condemned, something neither extended to the people they accused.

Who was it that said 'Those who do not learn history are doomed to repeat it.’?

Some interesting reading here -

What happens when a #MeToo victim like Asia Argento is the accused? | Laura Kipnis

Asia Argento and the hypocrisy of #MeToo

Last edited:
Edit.
Don't post after drinking a shitload of Warsteiner.

It's not as funny when sober.

(Now trawling Arrse to see if I've posted anything else that's a load of shoite)
:)

Last edited:
Yes, but Argento’s actions will be explained as being due to her re-enacting the abuse that she suffered. It is just the repeating pattern of abuse. Since she is a strident woman she will, ultimately, always be right.

Be prepared for her rehabilitation after ‘treatment’ when the above explanation is seized upon by the lefty misandrist collective to continue the motion.

Last edited:
Yes, but Argento’s actions will be explained as being due to her re-enacting the abuse that she suffered. It is just the repeating pattern of abuse. Since she is a strident woman she will, ultimately, always be right.
It's CSE, surely?

I'm not quite sure how it is possible for a relatively attractive woman, well 99% of womanhood really, to sexually assault a 17 year old lad.

(Unless he is a bit of a poof I suppose.)

I'm not quite sure how it is possible for a relatively attractive woman, well 99% of womanhood really, to sexually assault a 17 year old lad.
As with, 'if you don't do this you don't get the job', it's a power thing.

Happened to me. There I was, an innocent young lad of 16, when for months I was selfishly forced, forced I tell you, into repeatedly engaging in sexual acts with a particularly voracious female who was in her early 20's.

Even bundled me onto a train and made me sit still for hours. I had no chance to escape the dreadful things that awaited in her parents holiday home in Devon, which were so atrocious it involved me being plied with alcohol and herbal products.

Those terrible events will haunt me for ever.

Now, where do I sign?

It has nothing to do with looks.

Happened to me. There I was, an innocent young lad of 16, when for months I was selfishly forced, forced I tell you, into repeatedly engaging in sexual acts with a particularly voracious female who was in her early 20's.

Even bundled me onto a train and made me sit still for hours. I had no chance to escape the dreadful things that awaited in her parents holiday home in Devon, which were so atrocious it involved me being plied with alcohol and herbal products.

Now, where do I sign?

You fibbing swine. Compo face is Not, I say again NOT a big shit eating cheesy grin.

You're going to need to work on that if you want to be convincing.

You fibbing swine. Compo face is Not, I say again NOT a big shit eating cheesy grin.

You're going to need to work on that if you want to be convincing.
Is this better

"Where this leaves the #MeToo movement nobody knows, but in a final nod to the past Argento (via social media), like Robespierre before her has appealed for due process to occur before she is condemned, something neither extended to the people they accused. "

that wraps it up neatly for me. You don't have to like sexual predators and rapey cnuts to argue that some form of due process is required other than the inter-web-lynch-mob

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer

Now, where do I sign?
I recently attended the funeral of a lovely woman who lived a few doors up from where I grew up. I will never forget the leaving present she gave me when I left to start at apprentice college. My wife was surprised that I seemed so affected.;)

As with, 'if you don't do this you don't get the job', it's a power thing.
Indeed. But of course there's always the option of saying, OK I don't want the job. Which is what themajority of the #MeToo harridans should have done.

Unless you're having sex with someone under the age of consent in your jurisdiction in which case it's simply rape.

Indeed. But of course there's always the option of saying, OK I don't want the job. Which is what themajority of the #MeToo harridans should have done.

Unless you're having sex with someone under the age of consent in your jurisdiction in which case it's simply rape.
She's trying the age of consent where she was from (Italy) was 14, so it's in her culture defence.

At 17 years old I would have welcomed some "education" from an older woman... :)