The Metal Thread

Folks, I have noticed that there are a lot of the green machines best
into some serious music on these here boards. So I thought it would be pertinent to set up the Metallers thread.

Gigs up and coming (Download for instance £180 a ticket! But a fookin good line up! Not to mention the free RATM gig @ Finsbury Park)

Experiences? - Covered in piss, eardrums destroyed etc

Best Gigs? - Name the band, place and why?

Best bands? - Apart from the usual, Metallica, Machine Head etc

Old against new? - Maiden to B4MV

This is the thread to turn fellow Metallers onto new experiences.

Share the love folks.

And.......Bang the head that does not bang!

Cheers N_W

maguire

LE
Book Reviewer
best gigs? either Helmet or the Rollins Band back in the day. proper hardcore. \m/ \m/

L

Lechies

Loving Devin Townsends solo stuff at the moment, nice to see Evile finally headlining a tour this year, glad multi purpose chemical have wrapped it up after telling me I was to old to be their guitarist the cnuts. Hoping for some decent album releases this year. Favourite gig so far this year? Evile at Manchester, great gig. RIP Mike, sad to see you gone mate.

Arthur Brown, still touring, catch him at El Canuelo in Andalucia if you ever get the chance El Canuelo linky

Download is only £145 for a weekend festival ticket and the line up is already worth every penny of that for me.

I am currently being blown away by Tool. I have started developing a liking for heavier and heavier stuff as I get older and searching out unsigned bands is a bit of a hobby of mine.

Just for the record though, I will state that Motorhead are the best rock and roll band in the world - I have seen them 35 times live but I am not obsessed with them....:)

gasmark9 said:
Download is only £145 for a weekend festival ticket and the line up is already worth every penny of that for me.

I am currently being blown away by Tool. I have started developing a liking for heavier and heavier stuff as I get older and searching out unsigned bands is a bit of a hobby of mine.

Just for the record though, I will state that Motorhead are the best rock and roll band in the world - I have seen them 35 times live but I am not obsessed with them....:)
Any unsigned bands you can recommend? My son is a bit of a metal head (has seen Motorhead last year,going to see Machine Head this Tuesday and has just bought tickets for Sonisphere) He's been into Tool for quite a while now and altho I'm not that keen on the music I love their videos.

AC/DC still a great live band, Megadeth played Folkestone Leas cliff hall a few years ago; funny to hear Mustaine laughing at playing a bingo hall.

Download for me at £180 a ticket plus travel, food, etc is a massive rip-off. The original Donington's were much better and more fun, not so commercial.

Currently listening to Within Temptation, Sisters of Mercy, The Wildhearts and The Almighty! ;)

gasmark9 said:
Sorry, I should have specified.

£180 - For 5 nights camping + 3 days gigs

£170 - For 3 nights + gigs

£145 - For just the 3 days gigs

Glastonbury is similar prices if my addled memory serves me.

Very good line up for your money either way.

Cheers N_W

Aerosmith and Steven Tyler, what's that all about? Is he or isn't he still the vocalist? Would be interesting to see how many established bands have replaced lead singers and still stayed popular/credible!

Actually, regarding gigs. I've not been to too many metal gigs, but I'd say Ramstein who I saw at Wembley Arena last week were pretty good, with a shite load of pyrotechnics for good measure. Also saw Marylin Manson at a Reading Festival one year, the year he did the duet with Eminem, and that was good, too - but not as good as Ramstein. Although my girlfriend saw him last year at Download, and he cr@p apparently.

gasmark9 said:
Sid_Ruff said:
Download for me at £180 a ticket plus travel, food, etc is a massive rip-off.
Each to their own mate. It is what I choose to spend my money on and I love it :D
Don't get me wrong, if you're happy to spend that amount fair enough, just not my choice. Seen most of the bands at this year's line up back when we were all young in the 80's so I am not missing out on much apart from the newer bands, and I'll get round to them sooner or later! :)

Best Gigs:

Faith No More, Folkestone Leas Cliff Hall in 1989 in front of 50 people. they were amazing.

Pantera at Cambridge Corn Exchange supporting Megadeth in 1993. Made Mustaine's lot look decidedly average.

Black Sabbath and Diamond Head, Phillips Halle Dussuldorf 1983. I was only 12 and was completely blown away.

SF

Best Gigs:

Faith No More, Folkestone Leas Cliff Hall in 1989 in front of 50 people. they were amazing.

Pantera at Cambridge Corn Exchange supporting Megadeth in 1993. Made Mustaine's lot look decidedly average.

Black Sabbath and Diamond Head, Phillips Halle Dussuldorf 1983. I was only 12 and was completely blown away.

SF

Best gigs?

On an arena scale it has to be Metallica at the 'big day out'.Im not a fan of any venue that houses more than a few thousand people but seeing 60000-odd nut jobs chanting 'die,die,die' and giving it the devilhorns while creeping death was raging was pretty cool.

On the smaller scale I saw Down about a year ago at Brixton and they were awesome.If any of you are into your Sabbath and Zepplin you need to check them out.

Best band?Pantera (rip dime) but as the idea of this is to get names out there of bands that people may not of heard of then I will go for Tomahawk.They are a bit of a super group that included members of Helmet,Faith No More,The Melvins and Jesus Lizard.Not exactly your average metal band (in fact not really a metal band at all),but their first two albums should be required listening for anyone thinking of starting a rock band.

Oh and im off to the hammerfest in some godforsaken part of Wales in a couple of weeks.Suicidal Tendencies are playing the sunday,fecking mint!

awsome thread

maguire said:
best gigs? either Helmet or the Rollins Band back in the day. proper hardcore. \m/ \m/
I second your choices, Helmet, Reading Fest' 98

i'm a massive Rollins Band fan but went of Henry a bit, have you seen his anti-british comments all over youtube

He's a big supporter of his troops, he goes out and about quite a bit doing his stand up stuff

DOWNLOAD FOREVER

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
bluecoveralls REME 4
kayak8889 Classified Ads 2
quiller Weapons, Equipment & Rations 5