Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

The media and Covid-19: making a bad situation worse

I read most of that twitter column and reaffirmed my intention to never subscribe to a medium in which 95% of the content consists of the ravings of deluded, deranged, drunk and probably dangerous cretins.

Seriously. Why would anyone at the top of the bell-curve or beyond have anything to do with it? The only answer I can find is that they wish to influence those on the left of the curve, and probably in a dangerous direction.

I was introduced to Twitter not long after it had started, by my (much younger) girlfriend. I think I managed about a week of trying to fit-in by posting random events in my life as they happened. Even back then it was far too vacuous to seem like a valid use of one’s time. About the only thing I can agree about with David “doo doo doo” Cameron, is that (and I paraphrase, slightly) ‘Too many Twitters make you a Twat.’

a consequence of the infection of 'political correctness' into every aspects of society together with a media that, embraces and encourages discussion and discourse being dumbed down, as much as possible. Of course this is a broad simplification, but no less valid for that.
And the response has been the realisation among our political and other 'leaders' - from every state-sponsored organisation there is - is that any response to a question from the press will be manipulated to show an 'uncaring' heart. The public, conditioned from many years of Facebook, twitter and every left-leaning commercial outlet, seem to follow the lead. Any statement which tells the 'Apologise And Resign' reporter to do one is uncaring and therefor a vote-loser.

I say 'seem', but of course the actual response may vary from that shown in those media; the result of the last General Election was a vast surprise to the Press. Whenever I see a headline which claims to reflect The Public's Opinion, I read further down to discover that it probably doesn't at all.

In this case, that 'Momentum' poll (however it may have been conducted) has probably been a knife in the guts to many. It hasn't been reported on in the main outlets, though.

I was introduced to Twitter not long after it had started, by my (much younger) girlfriend. I think I managed about a week of trying to fit-in by posting random events in my life as they happened. Even back then it was far too vacuous to seem like a valid use of one’s time. About the only thing I can agree about with David “doo doo doo” Cameron, is that (and I paraphrase, slightly) ‘Too many Twitters make you a Twat.’
I investigated it during my time working as a 'first response' risk consultant on the end of a line in London, when called upon to advise clients when horrible things happened to them in foreign parts, and thought it might be useful to hear what locals were saying about those things in real time (cases were more usually people who'd lost their passport/money/virginity in Caracas or wherever, or people in hotel rooms in Mumbai wanting to know what to do as there was a bad chap with a gun in the corridor).

It was so unreliable, and frequently entirely misleading or plain wrong, that I ditched it. I've never seen any reason to go back, other than for a belly laugh.

Twatter isn't so bad. Where else can you get reported by Gary Lineker, Laura K and Beth Rigby in 2 hours and have your ban overturned in less than 3 minutes?

Intellectual? No. Fun? Yes.

And the response has been the realisation among our political and other 'leaders' - from every state-sponsored organisation there is - is that any response to a question from the press will be manipulated to show an 'uncaring' heart. The public, conditioned from many years of Facebook, twitter and every left-leaning commercial outlet, seem to follow the lead. Any statement which tells the 'Apologise And Resign' reporter to do one is uncaring and therefor a vote-loser.

I say 'seem', but of course the actual response may vary from that shown in those media; the result of the last General Election was a vast surprise to the Press. Whenever I see a headline which claims to reflect The Public's Opinion, I read further down to discover that it probably doesn't at all.

In this case, that 'Momentum' poll (however it may have been conducted) has probably been a knife in the guts to many. It hasn't been reported on in the main outlets, though.

The in your face social media bubble seems to be a self feeding organism that whips itself into a froth in its self righteousness, forgetting that is indeed a bubble and not reality.

I have no doubt there's a silent majority who won't touch it for those reasons. They watch and take note and can hopefully be counted on to do the right thing as they see it.

So far, that seems to have been the case.

The in your face social media bubble seems to be a self feeding organism that whips itself into a froth in its self righteousness, forgetting that is indeed a bubble and not reality.

I have no doubt there's a silent majority who won't touch it for those reasons. They watch and take note and can hopefully be counted on to do the right thing as they see it.

So far, that seems to have been the case.
Absolutely this.