The media and Covid-19: making a bad situation worse

Just out of interest (!) I’ve had an occasional look at Express On-line.
Each time Laura K has featured pontificating about what the Government has/should have done or not done, and interpreting things her way as if they are facts.
It’s nauseating! She must be getting a decent wedge from the Express for these ‘columns’.

Another reason why I’m minimising my News intake. Some American ‘expert’ apparently. I thought Coronavirus was an equal opportunities pandemic?
42019A12-2916-4BCF-9AE1-3E03AFDB2332.jpeg

Another reason why I’m minimising my News intake. Some American ‘expert’ apparently. I thought Coronavirus was an equal opportunities pandemic?
View attachment 463985
It’s not, there are high risk groups (like the elderly) those with diabetes (blacks more likely to get type 2), those living with less opportunity for social distancing (multiple generations in one house, those living in flats etc.) and those in low-skilled, low-paid jobs are likely to be more affected than your professional class who are working from home on laptops.

That some of those groups are disproportionately BAME makes her statement true. However, the virus isn’t racist, we just live in an unequal society where the poor of all backgrounds tend to be quite vulnerable to turbulence. I suspect many Eastern European immigrants are equally as vulnerable.

Liked your post, Whiffler, and especially correct use of 's in Thomas's.
It is the name of the hospital, so difficult to go wrong. I inhrited a dislike of silly errors from pere whiffler, who would go ballistic if he heard anyone say St. John's Ambulance.

I still find myself asking at the end of the daily briefing why one of the medical types asks the media to stop asking inane questions about testing as all it does is confirm if you have it, have had it or haven't had it yet - there is no antidote, so testing is a pointless exercise as we can't treat it.

The media won't let this one go as they think they have the government on the back foot but testing is irrelevant with no cure. Government should tell them to fcuk off and stop being stupid cnuts.

I still find myself asking at the end of the daily briefing why one of the medical types asks the media to stop asking inane questions about testing as all it does is confirm if you have it, have had it or haven't had it yet - there is no antidote, so testing is a pointless exercise as we can't treat it.

The media won't let this one go as they think they have the government on the back foot but testing is irrelevant with no cure. Government should tell them to fcuk off and stop being stupid cnuts.
Hey why arent you working on that bloody Wocka?!?!

It’s not, there are high risk groups (like the elderly) those with diabetes (blacks more likely to get type 2), those living with less opportunity for social distancing (multiple generations in one house, those living in flats etc.) and those in low-skilled, low-paid jobs are likely to be more affected than your professional class who are working from home on laptops.

That some of those groups are disproportionately BAME makes her statement true. However, the virus isn’t racist, we just live in an unequal society where the poor of all backgrounds tend to be quite vulnerable to turbulence. I suspect many Eastern European immigrants are equally as vulnerable.
For balance, you might wish to qualify that with the addition of ' . . . and those who insist on following a sub-effort lifestyle which is led by a need for instant gratification and an over-inflated sense of worth . . .'

For balance, you might wish to qualify that with the addition of ' . . . and those who insist on following a sub-effort lifestyle which is led by a need for instant gratification and an over-inflated sense of worth . . .'
I hadn’t heard it was killing off influencers and YouTube stars?

Offa

War Hero
There appears to be a growing dissatisfaction among the general public with the negativity from all media, both broadcast and printed, regarding the handling of Corvid19. Not just from my colleagues and acquaintances, but also being reported on other social platforms. This disdain and contempt for the media and loss of its integrity perceived by the public will be the great unreported aspect of the current situation. Journalists are the new bankers.

There appears to be a growing dissatisfaction among the general public with the negativity from all media, both broadcast and printed, regarding the handling of Corvid19. Not just from my colleagues and acquaintances, but also being reported on other social platforms. This disdain and contempt for the media and loss of its integrity perceived by the public will be the great unreported aspect of the current situation. Journalists are the new bankers.
I watch the Govt briefings via Twitch live stream - just for the live comments.

"Rishi - worst streamer ever - never even looks at chat"

Mind you, a tag like Rishi is pretty Pog.

Let's hope so. It's about time some of the more prominent journos got a good flaming. Much like some of the more outspoken celebrities.The general public are not interested in your personal views, just report the news and let the experts do their jobs. By all means take them to task where necessary,but do it because the public need to be informed, not because you want to be the headline.

Theres a food fruit and veg market in Croydon that is excellent quality and value.
What always makes me chuckle is that at one end is an Iceland...the utterly incomprehensible looks from the fat feckers exiting there with their waddle bags of lardy crap on seeing the stalls is priceless!
Surrey Street?

Hey why arent you working on that bloody Wocka?!?!
because I'm on the Spad. Minor disaster with it which has set me back a week. I was supposed to go back on the Wokka after the Avenger but the mrs destroyed the Avenger - hence the Spad. Its to get my mojo back. Wokka next.

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer

Oh c'mon, you know that Covid 19 is racist, it was set up by the Chinese to attack those of a BAME backgound, the fact that a few white people died just shows that they had BAME genes in their bloodline somewhere, innit?

There will most definitely be a Public Inquiry into the present emergency when it is all over, a Royal Commission even.
I would hope that some of the inquiry will focus upon the conduct of the UK Media.
I don't think they will come out of this too well.

Latest Threads