The media and Covid-19: making a bad situation worse

Truxx

LE
You liar!!!
You said you were too shy to ask earlier!!! :)

Could you expand on what Truxx has said though - in your experience-has the story already been decided at press conferences?
I think that this phenomena is particularly prevelant at daily press briefings, where even in a fast moving situation relatively little new is happening - except the media propensity to generalise from the specific.

You liar!!!

Could you expand on what Truxx has said though - in your experience-has the story already been decided at press conferences?
If I may interject, having been on the print side: the answer is ‘Yes’.
Certainly in my time, the press conference was the formality gone through to ‘confirm’ the press release issued some time earlier.
The releases used always to be headed ‘Check against Delivery’: an instruction generally disregarded by the ‘generalists’, who thus had their stories already written.
I would imagine that since the advent of on-line and rolling news the situation has become exacerbated.

It would be nice if the various spokespeople (such as Hancock) could tone down the superlatives a bit; usually unnecessary, and occasionally greasy. Just the facts, please.

When he commanded his padre got a bit crinkly lipped when the T shirt "I Only work for the Prince of Darkness" became the must-have.

There are only really a very small handful of folks to whom you would be genuinely able to extend the epiphet "legend"

General Sir Michael David Jackson, GCB, CBE, DSO, DL is one of that very small handful.
Completely off-thread, but who remembers this?
1.jpg

Courtesy of @Good CO , I think.

Shame Hancock didn't slap down the bint trying to link death s to test rates.

An answer along the lines of "which part of yesterday brief that the Boxheads have a diagnostic test industry and we're having to build one from scratch, didn't you understand?" would have been perfect.

When he commanded his padre got a bit crinkly lipped when the T shirt "I Only work for the Prince of Darkness" became the must-have.

There are only really a very small handful of folks to whom you would be genuinely able to extend the epiphet "legend"

General Sir Michael David Jackson, GCB, CBE, DSO, DL is one of that very small handful.
2.5 years ago at my Father in Law's funeral, I was chatting to the son of a famous Para about my fruitless experience of Browning Barracks when the aforementioned son called over his father and another to hear my woeful tale. Before I knew it I was describing my attempts at the PO course to General Sir Huw Pike and General Sir Michael Jackson..

You liar!!!

What did he say?

What did he say?
he presser is just a chance to get a word or quotable quote. The idea that, somehow, the press briefing will add to the knowledge of the attendees is frankly pie in the sky. Sometimes it happens, mostly when someone puts their foot in it and becomes the story.

Think about the current news cycle. The presser is just after 5, yet by 6 the news is good to go. There is a little bit of padding, what I would call "some bloke said some stuff - look" followed by the thing they have been working on all afternoon which, as I say, was already four parts done. Even more so for the print lot - by 6 they want to be firing up the presses, having writted, subbed, edited and laid out.

Truxx etc etc
Sometimes information is gleaned from pressers: that's the point of them.

As far as his comments on the news cycle are concerned: that may have been occasionally been the case a few years ago but with rolling 'Never wrong for long' news, Twitter and online new sites has waters are muddied.

With regards the 'news package' I've completely re-edited stories not long before air due to a change in direction.

I've no idea about the scribblers .

Do some of these journos at the press conference have to have a degree in Stupidity before they are let loose? Some female asking how much PPE is going to be required during the course of this crisis. Matt Hancock was far too diplomatic in his reply but he should have just said "Lots" and moved on to the next question.

Do some of these journos at the press conference have to have a degree in Stupidity before they are let loose? Some female asking how much PPE is going to be required during the course of this crisis. Matt Hancock was far too diplomatic in his reply but he should have just said "Lots" and moved on to the next question.
I normally hold politicians in open contempt, but I have to commend most politicos for their remarkable restraint when they get asked some of the most staggeringly stupid question by their nations' press corps. Most normal human beings would be telling them off after the first stupid question, then would start screaming and breaking the podium after the fifth stupid question.

I'd be very close to this if I were in their shoes.

Oyibo

LE
Good to see Peston get a royal kick in the plums for his daft questions. I liked the way Hancock came back at him and asked whether 'that answered his questions'. To which Peston dug his hole deeper.

Good performance by Hancock and Van-Tam IMO.

Truxx

LE
2.5 years ago at my Father in Law's funeral, I was chatting to the son of a famous Para about my fruitless experience of Browning Barracks when the aforementioned son called over his father and another to hear my woeful tale. Before I knew it I was describing my attempts at the PO course to General Sir Huw Pike and General Sir Michael Jackson..
Once upon a time Huw Pike and I were looking down from some bitof an american LSV while a brit mexeflote coxed by a lowly full screw battled the considerable swell to try and hook up to the ramp. Time after time he tried eventually cracking it by the skin of his teeth.

Just look at that, said Pike. Two of us up here, looking down filled with rank and importance and yet the success or failure of this venture is in the hands of a corporal and there is not a single thing you or I can do about it.

A little later I congratulated the mexe cox on his tenacity.

Yea he said. I saw you two up there. Under normal circumstances I would have sacked it but I was fcucked if I was going to give up with you two watching.....

Good to see Peston get a royal kick in the plums for his daft questions. I liked the way Hancock came back at him and asked whether 'that answered his questions'. To which Peston dug his hole deeper.

Who was the nurse lady? Please don’t tell me she’s what passes for a Matron these days?
(Shivers at memories of the QA Matron at Rinteln in 1979 shortly after herself had pupped with our first: “Capt Trackpen. Your beret. My office. Now!” - literally!)

rr
Purely for the daily vision, at +/- 1700, of the great and good of Her Majasty's Press being shown how very ordinary and untalented they are I'm cynically hoping that this event could run and run.

Because of the distancing, they have lost the protection and support of the pack: there's no Pulitzer for 3/4 of a head on a monitor, trying to be grave and erudite over a dodgy Skype connection.

Long may it last.*

*and keep strangling that WiFi :cool:

It's about time HMG starts canning the persistent fecking stupid question askers. Let their organisation send someone else who asks something pertinent or lose their slot. Peston first in line for being given the news he is not a keyworker.

A prime example... all in the interests of freedom of information, of course.
Despicable people like this remind me of the British reporters during the Falklands conflict who revealed that the Argentinian bombs were being dropped too low to arm properly and explode when they struck our ships. The Argentinians promptly adjusted their fuze settings.

Latest Threads