The media and Covid-19: making a bad situation worse

Nice one @labrat.

Dear Peston, oh armchair pundit on all matters past present and future,

THIS IS THE GUY YOU WERE LECTURING ABOUT TESTING PROCESSES:

Jonathan Van-Tam MBE, BMedSci, BM BS, DM, FFPH, FRCPath, Hon FFPM, CBiol, CSci, FRSPH, FSB graduated in Medicine from the University of Nottingham in 1987, trained in Public Health Medicine from 1991, and became a Senior Lecturer at the University of Nottingham in 1997, before serving with the pharmaceutical and vaccines industries from 2000. He moved to the UK Health Protection Agency in 2004, where he was Head of the Pandemic Influenza Office, before returning to Nottingham in late 2007 as Professor of Health Protection.

His special interest in influenza and other respiratory viruses spans 25 years and focuses on: epidemiology; transmission; vaccinology; public health policy; and pandemic preparedness and response.

He is co-Editor and chapter author of the textbook: Pandemic Influenza, which is now in its second edition. He has been a consultant to the World Health Organization on influenza since 2004, and was Editor-In-Chief of Influenza and Other Respiratory Viruses from 2013-2017.

He sat on the UK Scientific Advisory Group for Emergencies (SAGE) during the 2009-10 pandemic.

His unit has been an official WHO Collaborating Centre for pandemic influenza and research since 2010; and a UK Faculty of Public Health 'national treasure' training location for influenza research since 2011.

He was Chair of UK NERVTAG (the UK Government's New and Emerging Respiratory Virus Threat Advisory Group) from 2014-2017. In October 2017 he moved to the Department of Health, England, on secondment as Deputy Chief Medical Officer.
Not got a :) clue then

Grownup_Rafbrat

LE
Book Reviewer
Amusing watching the Sky interview of outgoing Labour 'leader' Corbyn as to how he would have dealt with the pandemic differently. I suppose it's easy to 'armchair quarterback' and criticise when you've no skin in the game and have the benefit of foresight :smile:
He's built an entire career on it.

Grownup_Rafbrat

LE
Book Reviewer
lots of manufacturing is done in China.

Not sure if will be brought home due to Brexit.
When they closed down the medicine production factory in Wrexham, manufacturing moved to India. A tiny staff was retained for a year or so to close down the building, dispose of poisons, etc. And then they were redundant too.

Apparently the Indian factory could produce 100 tablets for the cost of 1 in Wrexham.

When they closed down the medicine production factory in Wrexham, manufacturing moved to India. A tiny staff was retained for a year or so to close down the building, dispose of poisons, etc. And then they were redundant too.

Apparently the Indian factory could produce 100 tablets for the cost of 1 in Wrexham.
Then you understand why leaving the EU has no relevance.

Niamac

GCM
Just watched the 5 o'clock (CET) news on the Zweiter Deutsche Fernsehen (boxhead TV). Top story was the situation in the UK. Whilst they did not say it was a shambles you would not require a PhD to realise that was the message. It made me a bit irritable (schadenfreude is a German word) but they did not exaggerate and fairly described the mess that Johnson and his terracotta cabinet have got us into.

It's better sometimes to see ourselves as others see us than to live in the past.

But he can't shout as loud as Peston, therefore his knowledge is null and void :rolleyes:
Same as "Nodding" Norman Lamb. Reporting from a room as though he is being brave (While still collecting his salary). Do they all go to a special school. They nod, look left and right while nodding head, beating air with hands and trying to depress us more. Shower of fuckwits, like BBC , ITV, Sky, CNN. Doc on TV today telling us lots of blurb was just that. He was cut short and subject closed rapidly. :cool:

Do they all go to a special school. They nod, look left and right while nodding head, beating air with hands and trying to depress us more.
Believe it or not, they actually do learn that as a technique and have done for years. All to do with editing and cutting while doing an interview, so they can switch between interviewer and interviewee to somehow make it appear they're paying attention.

I have a suggestion box winner... it will save broadcast news organisations £millions during the crisis.

”Good evening and welcome to the news at plonketty oh plonk*.​
pause
”We are all going to die, the world will end and Boris /Trump is to blame”​
pause
“That was the news at plonketty oh plonk”​
No need for huge news teams, production teams, up there own arse presenters etc... it has to be a winner, especially as it is exactly the news we are getting now but in a massively cost effective format.

Grownup_Rafbrat

LE
Book Reviewer
Then you understand why leaving the EU has no relevance.
In this small case possibly but in many many others, especially dealing with the outbreak and rebuilding after the outbreak, it is vital not to be ruled by bureaucrats who see their role as protecting their role.

FORMER_FYRDMAN

LE
Book Reviewer
I seem to recall General Mike Jackson or some other General Officer in the early stages of TELIC 1 getting the third degree from a journalist. The advance has ground to a halt/bogged down/yesterday's ball of fire/out of puff etc etc.

His answer was something like: FFS, we've gone so fast and gone so far we've left the supply train behind and we're waiting for it to catch up.
Except that Safwan to Basra was only about 30 miles.

Laura's question demanding an actual date deserved a response along the lines of "Well before you do anything to help the situation".

no f in beer

Old-Salt
On these daily press conferences, i think there must be a competition for the most stupid question. Kunesburg(sp), just asked, with a straight face, " can you give me a DATE when all NHS staff will have been tested", A chuffing 'date', why not ask for the hour or minute. The MSM is starting to make me more poorly than Covid

And the bbc dips out of the press conference for the weather and trailers about what a superb organisation they are.

The other day they cut off a weather forecast to trail what a good source they are for weather info.

Fcuking shambles

Oops

War Hero
Stupidest of the stupid questions up to now, during this whole palaver...

Gormless Bint fromCh4 news

" Mr Hancock, under which protocol did you think you deserved your Covid test?"...

HE'S HER MAJESTY'S FECKIN SECRETARY OF STATE FOR HEALTH......

I thought I was the thick one, sitting on this side of the pixels!

Stumpy4154

LE
Book Reviewer
We have been issued key worker statements linked to our ID s to show if we are stopped. They have contact details on them for the police to check if required.
Just had mine.

Brotherton Lad

LE
Kit Reviewer
And the bbc dips out of the press conference for the weather and trailers about what a superb organisation they are.

The other day they cut off a weather forecast to trail what a good source they are for weather info.

Fcuking shambles
It's still live on the website.

Banner across the bottom of the screen this morning on GMB stated that "Germany is testing 500,000 per day at the same time as a German scientific journalist was saying germany is testing 500,000 a week.

Latest Threads