The media and Covid-19: making a bad situation worse

Not certain on this one but most of the UK pharmaceutical plants used to be R&D - they might be able to turn out a couple of kilos of active ingredient over a week long batch run. All quite small scale and focussed on providing novel compounds for clinical trials. That's what GSK's operations in Tonbridge and similar sites were doing when I was looking at a job there.

Most of the patented drugs were then manufactured elsewhere in much larger quantities in plants custom designed to produce a couple of specific drug molecules.

For a food analogy the UK research plants were Michelin starred kitchens turning out new and interesting things each week while the overseas manufacturing was a canned soup factory, making the same recipes over and over and over again for years at a time.
this is what Corbyn was claiming was the NHS being sold off to The Americans.
the NHS volumes are so huge, US pharma firms were offering to build bespoke plants to service NHS contracts if they got acess to NHS contract bids.

I am taking prescribed steroids for Polymyalga Rheumatica. These are immunosuppressive and it is dangerous to stop them. I also have medication managed Arterial Fibrilation and had a cardiac stent placement for Arterial Sclerosis. I am coming up for 72 and am a carer for a severly disabled spouse. Last year I spent 43 days as an in patient after undergoing a difficult abdominal surgery that included three further invasive procedures after the initial 6 hour op. I am extremly grateful to the NHS, but to date, in the current crisis, I have had.........just counting.......fcuk all contact from the health service.

ETA I have been self isolating with Mrs Kinch for four weeks. We are fine, though I am getting prolonged minor headache (fixed with paracetamol) on a daily basis. BP dyastolic is up at around 126 but is probably sitting at around 100-110 because of the effect of AF on an electronic BP machine. Hence, safer to stay where am. In all other respects things are grand.
Stay safe, both of you.

Nice one @labrat.

Dear Peston, oh armchair pundit on all matters past present and future,

THIS IS THE GUY YOU WERE LECTURING ABOUT TESTING PROCESSES:

Jonathan Van-Tam MBE, BMedSci, BM BS, DM, FFPH, FRCPath, Hon FFPM, CBiol, CSci, FRSPH, FSB graduated in Medicine from the University of Nottingham in 1987, trained in Public Health Medicine from 1991, and became a Senior Lecturer at the University of Nottingham in 1997, before serving with the pharmaceutical and vaccines industries from 2000. He moved to the UK Health Protection Agency in 2004, where he was Head of the Pandemic Influenza Office, before returning to Nottingham in late 2007 as Professor of Health Protection.

His special interest in influenza and other respiratory viruses spans 25 years and focuses on: epidemiology; transmission; vaccinology; public health policy; and pandemic preparedness and response.

He is co-Editor and chapter author of the textbook: Pandemic Influenza, which is now in its second edition. He has been a consultant to the World Health Organization on influenza since 2004, and was Editor-In-Chief of Influenza and Other Respiratory Viruses from 2013-2017.

He sat on the UK Scientific Advisory Group for Emergencies (SAGE) during the 2009-10 pandemic.

His unit has been an official WHO Collaborating Centre for pandemic influenza and research since 2010; and a UK Faculty of Public Health 'national treasure' training location for influenza research since 2011.

He was Chair of UK NERVTAG (the UK Government's New and Emerging Respiratory Virus Threat Advisory Group) from 2014-2017. In October 2017 he moved to the Department of Health, England, on secondment as Deputy Chief Medical Officer.
But he can't shout as loud as Peston, therefore his knowledge is null and void :rolleyes:

this is what Corbyn was claiming was the NHS being sold off to The Americans.
the NHS volumes are so huge, US pharma firms were offering to build bespoke plants to service NHS contracts if they got acess to NHS contract bids.
Unless they were planning on building those plants in the UK it would have no impact on what you were asking which was why don't UK pharma companies supply the NHS rather than securing drug supplies from overseas.

Niamac

GCM
I am taking prescribed steroids for Polymyalga Rheumatica. These are immunosuppressive and it is dangerous to stop them. I also have medication managed Arterial Fibrilation and had a cardiac stent placement for Arterial Sclerosis. I am coming up for 72 and am a carer for a severly disabled spouse. Last year I spent 43 days as an in patient after undergoing a difficult abdominal surgery that included three further invasive procedures after the initial 6 hour op. I am extremly grateful to the NHS, but to date, in the current crisis, I have had.........just counting.......fcuk all contact from the health service.

ETA I have been self isolating with Mrs Kinch for four weeks. We are fine, though I am getting prolonged minor headache (fixed with paracetamol) on a daily basis. BP dyastolic is up at around 126 but is probably sitting at around 100-110 because of the effect of AF on an electronic BP machine. Hence, safer to stay where am. In all other respects things are grand.
We are still hearing you even if the NHS is a bit busy right now. Stay safe and look after Mrs K.

Brotherton Lad

LE
Kit Reviewer

My wife's letter only arrived yesterday. From another thread here's a useful link:

My wife's letter only arrived yesterday. From another thread here's a useful link:

Thank you very much. Also thanks to my mother for not marrying a guy called Zorro. Still, the free masks might have helped..........Alphabetically I am probably about two thirds from the top of the list so I shall keep a lookout for postman pat. Thanks again, sincerely

Last edited:

Brotherton Lad

LE
Kit Reviewer
Thank you very much. Also thanks to my mother for not marrying a guy called Zorro. Still, the free masks might have helped..........Alphabetically I am probably about two thirds from the top of the list so I shall keep a lookout for postman pat. Thanks again, sincerely
The link was courtesy of @CptDanjou . Best wishes to you both.

You can register without having the letter. I assume your situation can be readily checked if you have your wife's NHS number.

My wife's letter came down the military chain of command as she's still serving.

Unless they were planning on building those plants in the UK it would have no impact on what you were asking which was why don't UK pharma companies supply the NHS rather than securing drug supplies from overseas.
well, we used to have US players in the UK market, but as they say, every cut price EU vendor and his dog got first shout.....

The link was courtesy of @CptDanjou . Best wishes to you both.

You can register without having the letter. I assume your situation can be readily checked if you have your wife's NHS number.
Yes, we have those. We are trying to lay off and give them a tiny bit of breathing space - we are ok for meds for another three weeks and have agreat support team in the village for just about anything else. But you know how it is, we don't like to ask anyway. But, we are not daft. If needs be we will take action, but we have already decided that we are both staying at home together come what may. Although we both feel pretty much ok, we are realists about our likely priority in the grand scheme of things. Younger people will triage with a higher score and are more salvagable - quite rightly. But we are fine - its just an attitude thing that lets us feel we are pulling our weight. Mrs Kinch doesn't know any other way.

Brotherton Lad

LE
Kit Reviewer
Yes, we have those. We are trying to lay off and give them a tiny bit of breathing space - we are ok for meds for another three weeks and have agreat support team in the village for just about anything else. But you know how it is, we don't like to ask anyway. But, we are not daft. If needs be we will take action, but we have already decided that we are both staying at home together come what may. Although we both feel pretty much ok, we are realists about our likely priority in the grand scheme of things. Younger people will triage with a higher score and are more salvagable - quite rightly. But we are fine - its just an attitude thing that lets us feel we are pulling our weight. Mrs Kinch doesn't know any other way.
Registration takes about 2 mins and is very easy. We don't need any help (5 adults in the household) but I thought there was no reason not to be on 'ze list'.

I wonder if it ever occurred to the family that one of them might have infected him?
Dianne/ Dawn / Shami will be along shortly to tell you that's impossible because evil Tories and that you're also raaaaacist, obvs.

Amusing watching the Sky interview of outgoing Labour 'leader' Corbyn as to how he would have dealt with the pandemic differently. I suppose it's easy to 'armchair quarterback' and criticise when you've no skin in the game and have the benefit of foresight :smile:

Registration takes about 2 mins and is very easy. We don't need any help (5 adults in the household) but I thought there was no reason not to be on 'ze list'.
As long as we dont haveto wear a yellow patch, we're in! I shall get on with it forthwith - you arequite correct, it would be a mistake not to do so. Thanks again.