The media and Covid-19: making a bad situation worse

The woman is rubbish, did she expect the govt to say, Yeh we have cocked it up ?
A wasted question from a Tory hater.
If it was a war time thing, I’d probably have the key figures (and the entire board) of the BBC sentenced to death by firing squad for treason.

I think that the incessant all bad/negative news, no good/positive stuff is actually working against the government‘s efforts. They seem to have elevated the imbecile, Jonathon Ashworth to the position of ‘The Saviour God, Possessor of All Covid 19 solutions.

Every bad thing is variously Johnson’s, Hancock’s Raab's or Gove’s fault. The lack of ventilators, testing kits, PPE is a policy decision by the government and if it really isn’t the government’s fault, it is that bastard, Trump’s.

BBC to medical professor on the subject of brief clinical trials of test kit or vaccine or some such...

BBC: “Professor Plum, how hopeful are you that your trials will show your test kit to work?

Did the halfwit really expect Prof Plum to come out with something like,
  • “oh, not at all hopeful. In fact we know it is a crock of shit but we have nothing better to do that to waste time and money on silly ideas
or
  • “very hopeful because to date, the trials are proving succesful in 97.8 cases“
Bunch of cnuts. Where's the chief cnut Huw Edwards lately. Is a pandemic not worthy of his time?

Peston just got shot down on his own program,by Prof Than.

He was spouting about duel testing kits ( have you got it or have you had it. and why the NHS were not using them. He got told that the kits were incapable of testing for 2 things at once.

scare everyone and they are easily led, I said earlier in this thread the same thing and was poo pooed, all our civil liberties are rapidly disappearing, there is far more to this than we are being told. nwo anyone? Boris is not to be trusted.
ETA this is developing quite scarily now
people are ringing in to the police in Northamptonshire reporting on their neighbours going out more than twice,
laws are being made overnight and the police with their no1 haircuts are having a field day, Beria would be delighted.

And yet another example of bad media reporting.

Just heard a report, (from Sky I think), on the missus's Kindle as she watched it. There's a consortium of firms producing ventilators. By the weekend they will have delivered their first batch of new ones, 30 in number.

The reporter went on to say that medics are asking for 30,000. The inference being that 30 is totally inadequate and thus a failure.

But the critical point of the report, as the astute amongst you will have spotted, are the words "first batch", yet the report did not make any further mention of this nor anything about production being ramped up nor of the other firms who are looking to produce ventilators.

Or, to simplify it into Media-speak for the hard of thinking and the easily influenced, "We're all gonna die, everyone PANIC!"

Ex_crab

Old-Salt
I may be being a bit thick here but I can't see why any government can tie up millions in holding enough kit to deal with a major virus outbreak that may not happen. To me it's the same as expecting millions to be tied up in snow clearing equipment when we only have the occasional bad winter.

I may be being a bit thick here but I can't see why any government can tie up millions in holding enough kit to deal with a major virus outbreak that may not happen. To me it's the same as expecting millions to be tied up in snow clearing equipment when we only have the occasional bad winter.
Which is why every time we have a bad winter, journalists ask questions about why we have so few snow ploughs, why every side street and pavement aren't cleared immediately, and why there isn't a constant layer of grit on all surfaces. You can absolutely guarantee that, if the pop-up hospitals we are now getting had been put in place, fully stocked and fully staffed, years ago, there would be a Panorama programme focussing on waste in the NHS, asking why we had facilities going unused when people were still dying of cancer.

the argument is that Organization like the NHS should not be reliant on offshored supplies.
the costs of all this make requiring all vendors to be UK based with UK manufacturing capacity is now a no brainer.

And yet another example of bad media reporting.

Just heard a report, (from Sky I think), on the missus's Kindle as she watched it. There's a consortium of firms producing ventilators. By the weekend they will have delivered their first batch of new ones, 30 in number.

The reporter went on to say that medics are asking for 30,000. The inference being that 30 is totally inadequate and thus a failure.

But the critical point of the report, as the astute amongst you will have spotted, are the words "first batch", yet the report did not make any further mention of this nor anything about production being ramped up nor of the other firms who are looking to produce ventilators.

Or, to simplify it into Media-speak for the hard of thinking and the easily influenced, "We're all gonna die, everyone PANIC!"
30 items, from a production line that hasn't made those items before... That's what I call a win.

They've proved the line and can now go into production. Hopefully more than 30 per day. Win.

And you know what? Even if it only 30 a day, it's 30 more than we had yesterday. Win.

What's little miss news reader doing that is useful?

No idea who she is, but this lifted from a tweet of hers yesterday evening, is clearly a lie.
There’s the problem, right there. Most of the masses genuinely believe the Twittersphere is where you go to get the News, when in reality it is crammed with idiots thinking their opinions are valid and desperately trying to up their ‘share’ or ‘like’ count.

Not media. But notice our woman in Portugal isn't coping with isolation.

I keep meaning to join tw*tter just to tell her to pipe down.

FFoM the Tiigosphere... classic example of everyone panic Media bullmerde

Beth Rigby

@BethRigby
· 19h
NEW: PM spokesperson on NHS staff testing - Over 2,000 NHS England staff have now been tested (that includes the 900 tested at weekend) - To put that into context NHS England has 1.3 million (full-time equivalent) staff 5/

to put that into perspective Beth Voice of Doom Rigby, most of those 1.3 million are admin staff with no clinical contact or input.

We have moved on here from Mrs Truxx giving me black looks every time I shout something along the lines of "that's not what he said" and "if you had actually listened to what was said you would know the answer to that"

We have moved through her telling me to shut up and have moved instead to black looks II, which is much like black looks 1 only much much more dangerous.

As you know I have an exceptionally low reptile tolerance, but the media determination to have a (daily it seems) "cause" is getting on my wick.

Feel free to pass my compliments to the folks over the road, but tell them to get a bloody grip.
I am similarly in the domestic dog house for my explosions at reptilian unprofessionalism (can reptiles actually be professional...? Discuss....). The problem is that Numero Dix is understandably trying to go for an air of unity and consensualism, even with reptiles and lefties, but that means that stupidity is no longer being called out or stamped upon with sufficient combativeness.

30 items, from a production line that hasn't made those items before... That's what I call a win.

They've proved the line and can now go into production. Hopefully more than 30 per day. Win.

And you know what? Even if it only 30 a day, it's 30 more than we had yesterday. Win.

What's little miss news reader doing that is useful?
Even more to the point, I suspect that the thirty people who find themselves plugged in to one next week will be pretty bloody grateful.

I am similarly in the domestic dog house for my explosions at reptilian unprofessionalism (can reptiles actually be professional...? Discuss....). The problem is that Numero Dix is understandably trying to go for an air of unity and consensualism, even with reptiles and lefties, but that means that stupidity is no longer being called out or stamped upon with sufficient combativeness.
Jim Hacker Walt! :)

Sky made me laugh this morning - apparently chemists are now bearing the brunt of the epidemic. Given there is no inoculation or drug to address it, I'm not sure how, but there you go.... I assume thousands of people are descending on pharmacies buying things like elastic bandages, paracetamol, ir heaven forbid getting a repeat presciption for blood pressure. Sky were calling for a medal for pharmacists the other day.

This really is a joke

Yokel

LE
Even more to the point, I suspect that the thirty people who find themselves plugged in to one next week will be pretty bloody grateful.
The point is that a lot of journalists do not understand that production will ramp up, now that the design has been finalised. Assembly and testing will speed up as processes are learnt and possibly more component suppliers brought in.

There is a good reason for the initial batch being small. It would be the same if they were making cakes.

Perhaps it is a reflection of changing times that the media have less understanding of technological and practical things.

Last edited:

Latest Threads