The media and Covid-19: making a bad situation worse

And quite possibly so. Censorship is unpleasant but it has benefits at certain times.
Well the Chinese Communist Government used and continues to use it as a Benefit in the speedy rewriting of history regarding this pandemic, still while they seem to have control of the WHO, why would we be surprised at this.

Funny that most of the western media seems to be deaf to such censorship in the past and currently though.

I would not be at all surprised to find the likes of Leigh Day or similarly "enlightened" law firms to be bringing class actions on "avoidable deaths" due to "underfunding" at some stage in the near future, based on current meedja reporting. Major-General Hindsight will be in full effect.

Hands up who thinks the judiciary will be sympathetic to the argument "unprecedented global pandemic" as mitigation.......

In a perverse way, it's going to be amusing watching the controlled media clamour to highlight the cliff edge businesses are going to drop off in the next few weeks. As soon as they realise all their click bait "with no underlying conditions" articles are getting less traction compared to ones calling for soup distribution.

Last edited:
Then you’ve got the appalling Jeremy Vine calling the ‘lockdown’ “ridiculous” while speaking to his mother on the phone.
Ridiculous?
Hardly.

Dear God. They really need to keep Yvonne Doyle off the screen. Utter waffle - it's just like poking the journos with a stick.

Laura K needed to be shut down with a firm "too slow is only your opinion Laura. You can only do what the logistics allow".

The journos have sussed Yvonne as well as are going for her.

ETA : If we're not careful, the mission "limit deaths to only those unavoidable" is going to be replaced by "protect the NHS". One is a goal, one is a means to that end.

Couldn't help noticing that Peston needed to remind us what his name is with it mentioned at least three times on banners behind him.

Is he forgetful or just some 2@t with a vastly over-inflated self-opinionated ego?

Truxx

LE
How the media works (part 97):

Others have previously singled out Beth Rigby's particularly crass contributions.

Yesterday, I watched the No10 presser live.

During it, Ms Rigby, to promote her "lock up everyone who is not an essential worker like me" argument, asked if the death rate was accelerating.

Sir Patrick Vallance gave her a very good reply at some length, but, very politely, said it was wrong to use the term "accelerating".

Later in the evening, I happened to see Sky's highlight version of the presser. Needles to say, that consisted of only the questions that Beth had asked, regardless of the pertinence of questions from other hacks,

Sir Patrick's reply to her was given in full. Except one little bit got edited out. The bit where he said she was wrong to say "accelerating".

So, just to make her look infallible, any viewer would be left with the impression, given that her allegation of acceleration now appeared to be unchallenged by the CSA, that death rates are indeed accelerating.

A tiny little example, but they have the gall constantly to accuse The Donald of twisting facts and fake news...
We have moved on here from Mrs Truxx giving me black looks every time I shout something along the lines of "that's not what he said" and "if you had actually listened to what was said you would know the answer to that"

We have moved through her telling me to shut up and have moved instead to black looks II, which is much like black looks 1 only much much more dangerous.

As you know I have an exceptionally low reptile tolerance, but the media determination to have a (daily it seems) "cause" is getting on my wick.

Feel free to pass my compliments to the folks over the road, but tell them to get a bloody grip.

Truxx

LE
"The UK media has lost the plot. You stand for nothing, you support nothing, you criticise, you drip. It's a spectator sport to criticise anybody or anything, and what the media says fuels public expectation,"

AM Brian Burridge, 2003

Beth ‘the voice of doom’ Rigby seems particularly doom laden today.

Beth ‘the voice of doom’ Rigby seems particularly doom laden today.
I’ve given up watching the News channels - the last straw was Victoria Derbyshire this morning, suggesting that when an anti-virus is eventually found, the rich Western countries will buy it all up, at the expense of the poor Africans.
I’ve had it with so-called journalists and their doom mongering, negative reporting. A pox on them all (pun intended).

Seadog

ADC
"The UK media has lost the plot. You stand for nothing, you support nothing, you criticise, you drip. It's a spectator sport to criticise anybody or anything, and what the media says fuels public expectation,"

AM Brian Burridge, 2003
I seem to recall General Mike Jackson or some other General Officer in the early stages of TELIC 1 getting the third degree from a journalist. The advance has ground to a halt/bogged down/yesterday's ball of fire/out of puff etc etc.

His answer was something like: FFS, we've gone so fast and gone so far we've left the supply train behind and we're waiting for it to catch up.

Peston to be fair is the only journo who hasn't let himself go working from home. Though only because he looked and dressed like bugsys deadbeat twin before this all kicked off.

The first question from Laura Kaunstomethingorother was, "is the Govt doing enough, what about yaddi yadda ya"
The woman is rubbish, did she expect the govt to say, Yeh we have cocked it up ?
A wasted question from a Tory hater.

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer
I’ve given up watching the News channels - the last straw was Victoria Derbyshire this morning, suggesting that when an anti-virus is eventually found, the rich Western countries will buy it all up, at the expense of the poor Africans.
TBH, they've had years of aid to get their ducks in a row, but no, it's all new Mercdes limos, Lear Jets, palatial mansions and healthy Swiss bank accounts, ****'em!

Truxx

LE
I seem to recall General Mike Jackson or some other General Officer in the early stages of TELIC 1 getting the third degree from a journalist. The advance has ground to a halt/bogged down/yesterday's ball of fire/out of puff etc etc.

His answer was something like: FFS, we've gone so fast and gone so far we've left the supply train behind and we're waiting for it to catch up.
Jacko would never have let them ask 3 questions at once either.

The woman is rubbish, did she expect the govt to say, Yeh we have cocked it up ?
A wasted question from a Tory hater.
Post Panda Pop, expect the utter holocaust of the BBC, I somehow suspect they have not made a great many friends..

And in ITV news, here's Laura's country notes for the Sheppy Observer this week.

Latest Threads