The media and Covid-19: making a bad situation worse

Helm

MIA
Book Reviewer
Peston doing his best to make it sound like the end of days while bewailing the measures in place, the prick.
Edit good to see him being put firmly back in his box by all 3 speakers.

None of them have noticed the non-linear nature of the deaths …. look at the vertical scale and how it suppresses the climb.

Grownup_Rafbrat

LE
Book Reviewer
Peston doing his best to make it sound like the end of days while bewailing the measures in place, the prick.
Edit good to see him being put firmly back in his box by all 3 speakers.
Loves the sound of his own voice, doesn't he?

Loves the sound of his own voice, doesn't he?
Well, somebody has to.

I've had a downer on the guy since he stood in the street asking people why they weren't rushing to get their money out of Northern Rock.

No run on any bank before that, and may have been inevitable, but he is very non-people when it comes to forcing a headline. Wouldn't surprise me if he had been tipped off by Gordon Brown's advisers, with whom he was quite tight at the time.

Cnut

I like the way all are thanking the media for their questions;).
Yesterday the man from the Mirror wanted the government to endorse the papers campaign to give a medal to all health workers. Wonder why this came to mind?
mutley medals.jpg

Bloody Victoria Derbyshire!! Interviewing a Medical Director from Africa - "Do you have any concerns that wealthier countries will be first in line to get a vaccine once it's developed"? :?
FFS! Talk about pushing an agenda.

TamH70

MIA
Bloody Victoria Derbyshire!! Interviewing a Medical Director from Africa - "Do you have any concerns that wealthier countries will be first in line to get a vaccine once it's developed"? :?
I wondered why I spent the morning playing Grand Theft Auto V - so thanks for reminding me.

The media are skating on very thin ice as it throws its support by ever increasing authoritarian behaviour(tracking apps).. My view of the government is evolving, but I see very worrisome signs its losing control to the saccherine voices of control and 'if you have nothing to fear' merchants peddling chinese style fascism, in the name of monied interests.

The media rather than stand up for some basic civil liberties is acting as the pack acted when clamouring for action against iraq and libya (it forgets its part in both those conflicts). I hope the media understand that pandoras box is very difficult to close, once you've opened it.

I would imagine if the vaccine was rolled out in Africa first, she would be the first to claim they were being used as guinea pigs!

Dredd

LE
With all the FB and Twitter experts, this virus will soon be beat. They are bright people there who couldn't spell coronavirus a week ago, theyve zoomed mate, that's how clever they are. Theres only one party that can unlock their talent however ....
Any chance they could learn the difference between your and you're though? Or even their and they're?

Or the importance of apostrophe?

Not that the virus would care one way or the other really . . .

PS - I know you may have been using sarcasm, so not directed at you.

Dredd

LE
That was Saturday. Today is ...er, ....Wednesday. Do keep up.
With the plethora of threads it has to be one at a time - and I am still working as well, plus evening activities - just like normal really.

;)

The media are now turning the testing issue into a stick with which to play politics during a national crisis.

Admittedly HMG isn't helping itself by being less than clear about the distinction between capacity and actual testing and the bottlenecks involved.

However, it doesn't really matter what HMG says, MSM roll out yet another random talking head or "anonymous source" to say "Germany" "Korea" or "I think this", irrespective of context or practicality.

Someone needs to get a grip of this sharpish, before "testing" becomes the objective, rather than dealing with the outbreak. They are of course related, but if there are limits on ability to test, shouting louder ain't going to change that.

Someone needs to get a grip of this sharpish, before "testing" becomes the objective, rather than dealing with the outbreak. They are of course related, but if there are limits on ability to test, shouting louder ain't going to change that.
Especially as, for the majority of the population, testing is irrelevant. It's only of value for people actually admitted to hospital to work out which ward they go on and for the medical staff treating them.

For the rest of the population, there's an alternative self-administered test:
Are you turning blue and unable to breathe normally? If no, stay at home. If yes, go to hospital.

Grownup_Rafbrat

LE
Book Reviewer
The media are now turning the testing issue into a stick with which to play politics during a national crisis.

Admittedly HMG isn't helping itself by being less than clear about the distinction between capacity and actual testing and the bottlenecks involved.

However, it doesn't really matter what HMG says, MSM roll out yet another random talking head or "anonymous source" to say "Germany" "Korea" or "I think this", irrespective of context or practicality.

You listened to the first five minutes of the world at one, as well?

I had to turn it off.

Mr. GRB has a blood pressure issue already without that!

Offa

War Hero
Has ITV morphed into the BBC? No longer any pretence at balanced reporting, now verging on anti-government rants and highlighting negativity in reports and interviews. If broadcasters had reported like this in WW2 the nation would have given up. Their thrust seems to be knock morale where poss.

Has ITV morphed into the BBC? No longer any pretence at balanced reporting, now verging on anti-government rants and highlighting negativity in reports and interviews. If broadcasters had reported like this in WW2 the nation would have given up. Their thrust seems to be knock morale where poss.
They would have been closed down and possibly charged with sedition.

I would hope that there will be an enquiry inquiry (Royal Commission?) when this is all over and further hope that the conduct of the UK media will be examined closely.

ETA ; 'Inquiry' not 'Enquiry'.

Last edited:
If broadcasters hadn’t been censored like this in WW2 the nation would have given up.
And quite possibly so. Censorship is unpleasant but it has benefits at certain times.

Latest Threads