The media and Covid-19: making a bad situation worse

Yokel

LE
What straight line?
Straight ish. But my point was it does not show the exponential nature of the disease spreading. Mind you I am not sure an exponential curve would get the message across. Perhaps a graph of different percentages of people keeping to the rules (and how that effects infection numbers) might help?

Gentlemen...I do believe I have found a cure:

It's a bit of a nuclear option but...I think it will work.

We need to start some sort of campaign...a you.gov poll...to get Meercat to wheel Nena out of retirement!

Truxx

LE
Is it about time the Q&A was binned as the journos don't seem to be adding anything of value to the session? As has been commented on before, they don't seem to be listening to the latest bulletin and are asking questions that have already been asked on previous occasions. It might also save them embarrassing themselves.

Noticed the BBC didn't get first dibs at today's questions. Govt just being fair to other channels or has Laura K pissed them off?
See a previous post of mine...….

Is it about time the Q&A was binned as the journos don't seem to be adding anything of value to the session? As has been commented on before, they don't seem to be listening to the latest bulletin and are asking questions that have already been asked on previous occasions. It might also save them embarrassing themselves.

Noticed the BBC didn't get first dibs at today's questions. Govt just being fair to other channels or has Laura K pissed them off?
I'd like to see tomorrow's press briefing.

BoJo on a live link from home looking like shite.

"People of the UK. In a further attempt to halt the spread of this deadly virus, I am now declaring journalists as a non essential workforce. As of 08:00 hrs tomorrow journos must not leave home. In order to further halt the spread of BS and fake news, they should also refrain from using social media. I know that the people of the UK are behind me on this and with your help we can rid the country of this scourge of our times.........and help get rid of the virus aswell.
Ok questions......er can someone help Laura to her feet."

Endoscope

War Hero
I hate the media with a passion at the moment. I'd love it when one of the politicians is
being "grilled " by one of the shrieking haridans with totally bone questions like "whens it all going to end" - he replied "havent got a ******* clue love, how longs a piece of string and what the **** dont you understand about it's an unfuckinprecidented situation!!!!!"

Niamac

GCM
Watched the Scottish equivalent with Sturgeon and Calderwood. They came across as clear, concise and free from silly sloganising. They did there best to answer the press questions which were, to be fair, much better than the London press who seem determined to catch the politicians out or show how clever they are and how much better things would be if they were running it.

Stopped watching Johnson's "Five o'clock Follies"

We need to start some sort of campaign...a you.gov poll...to get Meercat to wheel Nena out of retirement!
A lovely little mover.

Raab bored for Britain, in a surprisingly halting delivery

Keunsberg - If measures last six months do you expect people to ... FFS woman !

RIgby - Numbers, when is the NHS going to explode ... FFS woman !

Raab should simply quote Rene Artois. It's not just the women, but they are given undue profile and seem to believe they have to be OTT on the nation's behalf

Beeb taking the lead from the Gruniaid has now moved onto the Cops as rather rudely admissions haven't accelerated.

The quotes from the former Justice of the Supreme Court are pretty much straight from the Gurniads cobbled together piece of trash.

Yesterday I was expecting a doubling of deaths so when it was on a par with the previous day, I though that's good, in a weird way that you'd expect under the circs.

BBC lacking the no doubt hoped for headline, just gave the total and buried the actual number deep in the article, nowt like creating a panic is there.

4th para down on the we're all doomed BBC news headline story today.

'The number of people who have died with the virus in the UK rose by 181 to 759 on Friday, with 14,543 confirmed cases'

Yet don't feel the need to compare with:

With its annoying facts about winter deaths being greater due to respiratory illness, nope not stoking the fear there are we.
Whilst not minimising the death of anyone, it also needs to be remembered that, (as far as I can make out), on average over a year, 48,000 people die in the UK each month. Or put another way, around 1,600 deaths per day.

As is usual with the author, he makes some excellent points, mixed in with some moon howling, tin foil hat theories. However, I would rather read Hitchens take on this situation than have to listen to the screeching journos at the 5 o’clock update, which long ago lost its relevance. As he states, at some stage there will be a Public Enquiry over this and no doubt it will be squeaky bum time for many. PETER HITCHENS: This Great Panic is foolish, yet our freedom is broken

Whining Civvy

War Hero
As is usual with the author, he makes some excellent points, mixed in with some moon howling, tin foil hat theories. However, I would rather read Hitchens take on this situation than have to listen to the screeching journos at the 5 o’clock update, which long ago lost its relevance. As he states, at some stage there will be a Public Enquiry over this and no doubt it will be squeaky bum time for many. PETER HITCHENS: This Great Panic is foolish, yet our freedom is broken
I agree. I do question the inference that because 2/3 of the current dead would have died anyway then we should have ignored the virus and done nothing - what about the other 1/3? - but it's good to read a principled opposition to policies which pretty much every other journalist and person around me has utterly failed to question. I do think, given the deaths in Italy, that radical action should be taken to safeguard the wider population, and given the symptoms and sufferings reported by members of this site I am a-ok with social distancing and quarantines being implemented to minimise the chances of me and mine having to go through it. That does not mean that I am comfortable with the laws being implemented or, far more worrying in my mind, the unquestioning obedience of a free democratic people to this sudden and dramatic curtailing of their freedom. I'm not suggesting that we should not do this, but I would prefer obedience followed by a request to the powers that be to explaining their reasoning, in detail, and careful scrutiny by all involved. This is not occurring at the moment.

Peter Hitchens is doing us all and the journalistic profession a service by doing his job properly and questioning what's happening. Rightly or wrongly.

Finest ever use of that classic track is as the soundtrack to the bit in Grosse Point Blank when two hitmen have a fight to the death at a school reunion. Loser is dispatched with a biro to the throat.

This is how I always think of him

How the media works (part 97):

Others have previously singled out Beth Rigby's particularly crass contributions.

Yesterday, I watched the No10 presser live.

During it, Ms Rigby, to promote her "lock up everyone who is not an essential worker like me" argument, asked if the death rate was accelerating.

Sir Patrick Vallance gave her a very good reply at some length, but, very politely, said it was wrong to use the term "accelerating".

Later in the evening, I happened to see Sky's highlight version of the presser. Needles to say, that consisted of only the questions that Beth had asked, regardless of the pertinence of questions from other hacks,

Sir Patrick's reply to her was given in full. Except one little bit got edited out. The bit where he said she was wrong to say "accelerating".

So, just to make her look infallible, any viewer would be left with the impression, given that her allegation of acceleration now appeared to be unchallenged by the CSA, that death rates are indeed accelerating.

A tiny little example, but they have the gall constantly to accuse The Donald of twisting facts and fake news...

The media have been shoving the devastating economic effects of the global lockdowns into the background. They aren’t leading their daily coverage with people’s lives being destroyed. They’re pushing case numbers and new COVID horror stories.

After a hurricane or an earthquake, the news shows you the rubble and the families with their belongings in sacks wandering through torn roads. Reporters interview mothers who are sitting on curbs in a daze…
But this time, not so. They don’t want people to grasp viscerally what loss of jobs and businesses and money actually means. They want passive acceptance.

Seadog

ADC
Burley on Sky was interviewing a clever woman from the University of Edinburgh earlier today. I can't remember the questions but Burley went away disappointed after the expert's answers failed to criticise HMG’s course of action. I paraphrase and dramatize:

Burley: Do you think the government blah blah bad?

Brainy person: No

Burley: The Secretary of State has said blahdeblah...……....is he correct?

Brainy person: Yes

Burley: Now the weather

Burley on Sky was interviewing a clever woman from the University of Edinburgh earlier today. I can't remember the questions but Burley went away disappointed after the expert's answers failed to criticise HMG’s course of action. I paraphrase and dramatize:

Burley: Do you think the government blah blah bad?

Brainy person: No

Burley: The Secretary of State has said blahdeblah...……....is he correct?

Brainy person: Yes

Burley: Now the weather
Have you noticed that the f**king thing Burley is a little more restrained in her behaviour at the moment?

It won't last of course...

Now Alan Titchmarsh is getting all teary on the BBC News to tell folks to think of all the plants in the garden centres. Who next?? Packham?

Latest Threads