The media and Covid-19: making a bad situation worse

The good Dr Horton, fresh and lively from his outing on Question Time, was quickly snapped up by the Guardian to provide an Alternative Voice:

The Graun is drowning in a puddle of negativity today; every story is about Victims of Everything and why the evil Tories are to blame. They even brought in an ex-Para Regt bloke who'd been imprisoned by the Indians and blamed Johnson for it (the timing of this story is particularly obnoxious. I would love to have been listening to the Editorial conference when it was discussed).

I haven't watched any news on any channel in the last 10 years. I am far better informed for it and my blood pressure lower too.

If it had been up to me I'd have severely restricted the domestic channels including 24/7 news channels. There's no need to have the likes of Piers Morgan front and centre whipping up hysteria or any of the other media hacks who only broadcast for their own self-importance.

4th para down on the we're all doomed BBC news headline story today.

'The number of people who have died with the virus in the UK rose by 181 to 759 on Friday, with 14,543 confirmed cases'

Yet don't feel the need to compare with:

With its annoying facts about winter deaths being greater due to respiratory illness, nope not stoking the fear there are we.

The good Dr Horton, fresh and lively from his outing on Question Time, was quickly snapped up by the Guardian to provide an Alternative Voice:

The Graun is drowning in a puddle of negativity today; every story is about Victims of Everything and why the evil Tories are to blame. They even brought in an ex-Para Regt bloke who'd been imprisoned by the Indians and blamed Johnson for it (the timing of this story is particularly obnoxious. I would love to have been listening to the Editorial conference when it was discussed).
Yes I too read that rag .... old mantra " Always appreciate the situation from the " enemy's " point of view .... I also read this ....

" Government ‘too slow to act’ and ministers have failed to lead by example, health experts say "

... of course failing to mention Corbyn has blatantly ignored Government / NHS warning for over 70's to self isolate .

Does anyone have a link for 'confirmed cases recovered' anywhere? It's not something I've yet seen.

I've kept Sky on in the background purely in the hope that one of their vacuous 'reporters' will get tazered for breaching the rules during one of their pointless hourly wander about streets pointing out they are normally bustling but are now quiet except for cnuting reporters and cameramen.

How does it go " The only good news is bad news " ..... could do with a bit more of this positive type of news reporting on TV and National Press .... open the linky below

Coronavirus Update (Live): 617,683 Cases and 28,381 Deaths from COVID-19 Virus Outbreak - Worldometer seems pretty reliable - they show the news sources they're collating stats from.

Given they are taken from different countries with different testing regimes you'll need a large pinch of salt.
A google reveals lots of info, not really sure how accurate or helpful though.
Coronavirus Update (Live): 621,103 Cases and 28,663 Deaths from COVID-19 Virus Outbreak - Worldometer seems to be well put-together and statistically useful; some of the national figures are very odd, but doubtless there'll be PhDs aplenty to explain it all in coming years. In the meantime, the screechier news outlets (and Piers) will howl about how their unschooled opinions are Right and the Governments of all the nations should have listened to them.

*in a small voice*

for the love of god, noooo
Yes, it was a silly remark. They'll all be doing their doctorates on 'LBGTQ+++ in an age of masculine disease.' Unless all that stupidity has been knocked out of them by a dose of reality, of course.

Yes, it was a silly remark. They'll all be doing their doctorates on 'LBGTQ+++ in an age of masculine disease.' Unless all that stupidity has been knocked out of them by a dose of reality, of course.
I was thinking of someone closer to the boards here, and looking to supplement his salary from UberEats . . .

Italy have just recorded over 10,000 total deaths. The Financial Times are going to have to adjust the scale on their graphs.

Grownup_Rafbrat

LE
Book Reviewer
Italy have just recorded over 10,000 total deaths. The Financial Times are going to have to adjust the scale on their graphs.
How many are domiciled Italian living in houses, how many living in 'camps'?

Latest Threads