The media and Covid-19: making a bad situation worse

Truxx

LE

Truxx

LE
World at One today. Full of 'self employed' whingers. All trying to influence this evening's announcement. As If it can be changed four hours before it's made!

Then some bloke saying that older folk need to make sacrifices for the younger generation. What, like pay taxes all our lives instead of pretending to be self employed to reduce our liability? Saving instead of spending? Buying only what we can afford?

All that could have been avoided by announcing that the Chancellor will make a statement this evening, it won't be a perfect solution straight away and will be tweaked, and by the way, the nation will be paying for this for years and years and years, so all you people who pay yourselves so little that you qualify for free dentistry and don't pay NI, yet own houses abroad (yes you, pub landlord I know) but want to be bailed out now, just think about your social responsibilities.

I need a cup of tea!!!
The policy was decided on a day or two ago. It will not be influenced by today.

As I said in a previous post the pack were expecting this ladt night and did not get it.

By timing anything for layer the hand wringing will be dissipated, lwaving the government in the driving seat narrative wise.

Even now there have only been hints that an announcement will be made, so even now tonights theme may be dyson ventilators not self employed.

The self employed bit may be we have a plan and will tell all you registered business peeps what it is via your local authority.

Enjoy you tea. Be reassured that the big cheeses have this under control and be thankful that lots of effort is being put into informing the public rather than responding to media whim.

Predictably, Liberty is banging on about ‘Civil rights’ and expressing concern about the Government’s ‘draconian’ new powers to the Police - according to their Policy and Campaign Manager, Gracie Mae Bradley (nope, me neither). Knock me over with a feather!
39E60D46-A6FF-4594-B0BC-135CA3FA27E2.jpeg

Last edited:
Chalk this one up to "social media" instead of traditional media, but I finally saw the first post that hung some of the blame for this crisis on Thatcher.
Untitled.jpg

Chalk this one up to "social media" instead of traditional media, but I finally saw the first post that hung some of the blame for this crisis on Thatcher.
View attachment 460001
[/QUOTE
The other part of the interview.

"They are casting their problems at society. And, you know, there's no such thing as society. There are individual men and women and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look after themselves first. It is our duty to look after ourselves and then, also, to look after our neighbours." – in an interview in Women's Own in 1987

Not one of them reiterated CMO point that tests for C19 didn't exist only three months or so ago, because funny old thing, neither did the disease.

The thrust of their questioning appears as ever to be "we don't have stockpiles of this stuff because evil Tories", as opposed to reality. Which is a real pandemic for the first time in a truly globalised society.
Goes some way to explaining why there aren’t yet sufficient test kits for a virus that didn’t even exist a few weeks ago and aren’t foolproof anyway despite the inordinate time involved in obtaining a result.

Last edited:
Thankfully the BBC can inform us all of the truth behind the Government cover-up:

:rolleyes:
And the last time you heard the BBC's News Dept apologising for (or even admitting to) an error in its aspersions against this Government was...?

Grownup_Rafbrat

LE
Book Reviewer
Predictably, Liberty is banging on about ‘Civil rights’ and expressing concern about the Government’s ‘draconian’ new powers to the Police - according to their Policy and Campaign Manager, Gracie Mae Bradley (nope, me neither). Knock me over with a feather!
View attachment 459993
Never believe words spoken by folk with pierced noses.

Actually, from what I saw last night in the key mid-evening slots (One Show and Coronavirus special) the BBC is at one level doing an excellent job of getting out the Government's key messages to the audience that matters most, whilst doing it in an upbeat, involving and and engaging manner.

But, at the other extreme, I fully agree that they need to stamp down (as do the other stations) on the mischievous egos of some of their leading reporters - this ain't BREXIT. Time to show a bit of humility and let the Government and the scientists deal in the sombre news. On the evidence so far, not something Boris and his team are shirking....
I just wonder if the remoaners see this crisis as a very, very last chance to extend the exit process with the hope to derail Brexit? We don't know what the effect on the world economy will be at the end of this will be, but pretty sure the EU priority will be the German economy.

BBC and usual suspects?

So many Virus threads, this seems best as it is related to interpretation and so just posting this not for comments but for information:

Wiltshire Police and Gwent Police are having little road check points questioning motorists.

Melksham today, two women in one car. One going to get a prescription, one going to get shopping for elderly mother.
Two in a car?
Police - Two in a car? Go home and only come out with one in the car!
....prescription, shopping....
Police - Go home and only come out with one in the car or I'll book you.

One in a car?
Police - Where you going
...Going to work?
Police - Are you a "key worker" ?
...well, I have a job to go to.
Police - but you're not medical. Go home
...but I am going to an isolated site, no people.
Police - Go home.
...But the government said you can go to work if you can't do it at home.
Police - That only applies to "key " workers. Go home or I'll book you.

One in a car?
Police - Where you going
...Going to work?
...but I am going to GKN, we've just started making ventilators....
Police - I'll check, if it''s not right, and you come past again I'll book you.

It seems the Government advice that you can travel to work or to get essentials is open to interpretation by the police as well as the media who seem to be all over the place doing very very essential reporting like wanna be war zone reporters

I just wonder if the remoaners see this crisis as a very, very last chance to extend the exit process with the hope to derail Brexit? We don't know what the effect on the world economy will be at the end of this will be, but pretty sure the EU priority will be the German economy.
Of course they do:

The fragrant Layla is of the opinion that Brexit is, literally!, killing people.

So many Virus threads, this seems best as it is related to interpretation and so just posting this not for comments but for information:

Wiltshire Police and Gwent Police are having little road check points questioning motorists.

Melksham today, two women in one car. One going to get a prescription, one going to get shopping for elderly mother.
Two in a car?
Police - Two in a car? Go home and only come out with one in the car!
....prescription, shopping....
Police - Go home and only come out with one in the car or I'll book you.

One in a car?
Police - Where you going
...Going to work?
...but I am going to an isolated site, no people.
Police - Go home.
...But the government said you can go to work if you can't do it at home.
Police - That only applies to "key " workers. Go home or I'll book you.

One in a car?
Police - Where you going
...Going to work?
...but I am going to GKN, we've just started making ventilators....
Police - I'll check, if it''s not right, and you come past again I'll book you.

It seems the Government advice that you can travel to work or to get essentials is open to interpretation by the police as well as the media who seem to be all over the place doing very very essential reporting like wanna be war zone reporters
Teddy bears in the rubble next, you mark my words . . .

View attachment 459993
What about the ‘civil rights’ of older people, or people with underlying conditions, or kids being treated for leukaemia etc? Do they they not have a right to remain breathing?
Throbbers.

Latest Threads