The media and Covid-19: making a bad situation worse

BuggerAll

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Um...... is it too inappropriate to ask

-how many of the fruit pickers in Herefordshire , currently locked down after 70+ tested +VE for COVID-19, started their journey in Bulgaria/Romania/Moldova ?

I expect BBC Local Radio are all over it....

'' It employs about 200 seasonal pickers and packers from Eastern Europe to help with the crop.

A few workers could be seen in the distance wearing face coverings and walking to the entrance of the farm to collect shopping delivered by the local authority.

I understand although a few of the workers had symptoms, most were asymptomatic and the positive results of 73 people came as a surprise to them. "

Just askin' like, for a friend see?

Oh is that my coat ? how ver' kind....
I visited my local Scotsmid yesterday. Several fruitpickers were in the shop not observing social distancing, one way systems, compulsory wearing of masks etc.

When challenged by the staff they just shrugged it off as not something they need to do.

Generally relationships with the locals and the seasonal workers are good but behaviour like that will antagonise the natives and lead to tension.

If these farms are bubbles its fine if no one is infected but if one goes down they all will and act as spreaders on their way.

Listening to BBC News this morning. Apparently the anticipated second wave of Covid “may” kill “up to” 150,000 UK residents between October 2020 and March 2021. Although this wonderfully informative report has the caveat “or it may be a lot less”.
Talk about scare mongering! No wonder a significant % of the population is petrified to come out of their front door if they are listening to this shit. Just what are they trying to achieve with this negative reporting?*
*Apart from bringing down the nasty, pro Brexit Tories, obviously.

crow_bag

Old-Salt
Listening to BBC News this morning. Apparently the anticipated second wave of Covid “may” kill “up to” 150,000 UK residents between October 2020 and March 2021. Although this wonderfully informative report has the caveat “or it may be a lot less”.
Talk about scare mongering! No wonder a significant % of the population is petrified to come out of their front door if they are listening to this shit. Just what are they trying to achieve with this negative reporting?*
It sells papers/generates clicks.

My wife was reading an article (maybe from the Mirror) that popped up on Faceache with the headline THESE ARE THE MASKS YOU MUST NOT WEAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It was actually just an article on how certain things are more effective than others, i.e a loosely knitted scarf would offer less protection than a mask mask, or other face covering, made from tightly woven cotton etc.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Also quite interesting on R4, a report that in England PHE may have over-counted deaths, I.e if you have ever had a Covid test, your later death will be so listed, even if unrelated.
Scotland and Wales apparently have a 28 day cut off.

Interesting in that there was a good open goal not taken of "have we over counted deaths and not examined them properly" with the organisation producing the report wanting to address sensationalist news headlines.
However it was progress on the standard "government/england bad" line

And they are now saying Herd immunity is good, and will probably prevent a second phase of Covid this winter

four months ago , they were climbing over the government at the slightest mention of herd immunity (HIT)

and it's the Indy, you can guess who were one of the most vocal rags about herd immunity when it was first spoken about

And they are now saying Herd immunity is good, and will probably prevent a second phase of Covid this winter

four months ago , they were climbing over the government at the slightest mention of herd immunity (HIT)

and it's the Indy, you can guess who were one of the most vocal rags about herd immunity when it was first spoken about
The Indy referring to the population as a "herd".

I just seems so right.

BuggerAll

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
The Indy referring to the population as a "herd".

I just seems so right.
Arn’t their readers a flock rather than a herd?

The problem with scaremongering is that, as you say, many will be too petrified to get their lives back on track, but many more will be bored of the media crying Wolf, and thus will ignore any official advice.

Last edited:
covid became a stringly political stuff, I'd say, it became even a tool for controling people...

BuggerAll

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
[/QUOTE]
covid became a stringly political stuff, I'd say, it became even a tool for controling people...
In general I agree with you about scaremongering and the use if ‘could’ around dodgy projections.

In the case of COVID19 its very difficult to say how many people it ‘could’ kill if appropriate measures are not taken. It is clear that it ‘would’ kill a significant number of people and 150,000 may not be an unreasonable estimate.

Risk assessment and reacting appropriately to a threat are difficult to balance. Some people either couldn’t or wouldn’t take appropriate measures and in some cases their communities appear to have been affected more. Other people who have decided not to follow the rules may have been lucky - or they may have harmed people they will never know about.

As for ‘controlling people’ in the sense that you mean its total twaddle. All societies expect their members to control their activities So that we don’t harm each other. When we drive we have to follow the rules of the road. We are expected to respect each other’s welfare and property.

The measures that have been put in place are there to direct us respect each other’s welfare. There is legal compulsion and enforcement because some people or stupid and selfish.

Yesterday there were complaints that some sections of society appear to have been targeted for enforcement more than others. Unfortunately those who claim to have been targeted are from communities who have been most affected. Coincidence or correlation? I don’t know.

I visited my local Scotsmid yesterday. Several fruitpickers were in the shop not observing social distancing, one way systems, compulsory wearing of masks etc.

When challenged by the staff they just shrugged it off as not something they need to do.

Generally relationships with the locals and the seasonal workers are good but behaviour like that will antagonise the natives and lead to tension.

If these farms are bubbles its fine if no one is infected but if one goes down they all will and act as spreaders on their way.
Fruit pickers live in shared accommodation and each unit of shared accommodation is their 'family unit'.

They may have all been from the same unit.

BuggerAll

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Fruit pickers live in shared accommodation and each unit of shared accommodation is their 'family unit'.

They may have all been from the same unit.
Absolutely. The problem is that when they go out into the wider community they are not following the rules and risk catching and spreading.

Absolutely. The problem is that when they go out into the wider community they are not following the rules and risk catching and spreading.
I reckon we'll be fine, till winter at least.

VE Day celebrations "There'll be a 2nd wave".

Packed beaches "There'll be a 2nd wave"

BLM protests "There'll be a 2nd wave"

I know some areas have been locked down but none of the above (as far as I know) has contributed to this.

One section of the media is saying 150k deaths, another is saying herd immunity will save us all.
Quite frankly the media need locking up until we get a vaccine........and then kept locked up until everyone has been vaccinated. I stopped listening to the news about COVID about 2 months ago as it was innacurate, confusing and mostly completely ignoring the experts.
We have learnt an awful lot about the virus in the last 3 months and we are still learning, but you have to dig very deep to find anything even remotely sensible and informative in the British media. This is compounded by the individual nations governments and assemblys playing politics with the facts as we know them.

Latest Threads