The media and Covid-19: making a bad situation worse

Sky's Sam Coates really twisting everything, and trying to throw back Celtic fringe's going solo as Boris is wrong, the data not being published meaning Boris is wrong, and experts on hand being worried meaning Boris is wrong.

Boris says that's bollocks.

Expert says the data is there, the mitigation is there, and Coates is talking bollocks.

Other expert says if public gets a distorted view of advice on mitigation (hint, such as from Coates and his ilk), then things could go wrong. Not risk free but balance of risks on scientific judgement. Clear implication he thinks Coates is a wrong 'un and talking bollocks.

Next questioner asks whether expert accepts announcement Boris has made. They've both said that they do, and have pushed back at those silly questions in a most polite way.

.........Expert says the data is there, the mitigation is there, and Coates is talking bollocks.

Other expert says if public gets a distorted view of advice on mitigation (hint, such as from Coates and his ilk), then things could go wrong. Not risk free but balance of risks on scientific judgement. Clear implication he thinks Coates is a wrong 'un and talking bollocks...........
I was hoping either the CSA or the CMO would tell Coates to get his shit in a row and report facts rather than their distortions as evidenced from previous briefings.....but they were far too diplomatic to do that. They do have a lovely way with words though; showing what intellectual pygmies the journos really are.

Lurid headline, or only Stoke?

'Hyper-aggressive cannibal rats are swimming up drains and into toilets to invade homes in the hunt for food during lockdown.

'Residents in Stoke-on-Trent claim the hungry and highly-fertile rodents are becoming more brazen with a huge rise of indoor sightings over the last few months. Pest controllers have seen a surge in domestic call outs to deter and kill the rats as they swim up drains and into toilets to get inside houses. Hotspot areas have included Fenton, Burslem, and Smallthorne but they are thriving across this city.'

Last edited:
A German woman I used to work with who I have on Facebook has been ranting on about the governments handling of it for the last few months and how much better Germanys response has been, she's suddenly gone quiet on that front the last few days. She's lived here for around 20 years now but despises this country since we voted for Brexit and everything she posts is about how crap and racist we are and that she's trying to move back to Germany as soon as she can.
Four years later she's still here, proving the boxheads are not as efficient as we think.

Mrs b mentioned a special press briefing on the BBC so she switched over from the programme on underwater basket weaving or whatever she was watching only to be met by Reeta feckn Chakrabatti cackling on and filling time until the press briefing. Even she is pissed off with the constant repetition in these bulletins which are then further repeated in the main news programme. The BBC is getting a bit lot of a slating on its own 'Have your say' comments over the proposed cuts to save money. Some of the comments seem to be direct quotes from Arrse.

Yes, the trailing of 'news' and re-hashing of 'breaking' news is quite tiresome.

Another example of them losing the plot as far as viewers are concerned was when some chap had done a sky-dive from space. We watched him leave the basket, come all the way down, and eagerly anticipated a safe landing, and they kept the chap and his huuuuuge chute in view.

At the moment when the key moment arrived, the chute was in view, but our hero was totally obscured with a Breaking News banner saying that BBC had shown the landing live. They hadn't - they had obscured the actual moment with their own self-aggrandising propaganda.

Cnuts !

Last edited:

BuggerAll

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Did anyone else watch yesterday’s (Thursday’s) press conference with Williamson?

It was painful. Quite how W and his flanking experts remained calm and polite is beyond me.

The window lickers from the press asked the same moronic questions and repeated them when they didn’t like the sensible answers they got.

“Minister, you’re opening pubs this weekend but schools aren’t opening until September; isn’t this proof that you’ve got your priorities wrong?”

“Minister, can you give a guarantee to parents that it’s completely safe for their children to return to school”.

“Minister, how can you threaten to fine parents for not sending their children to school if you can’t guarantee that its 100% safe?”

“Minister, why didn’t you close schools in Leicester immediately?”

“Minister, why didn’t you give schools and parents in Leicester more notice that they were going to close?”

Ad nauseum.

Williamson shut off one reporter for asking a bone question - was that Fatima from Channel 4? ..And in her usual very, very tactful and devastating way, Dr Jennie put down the suggestion that the Leicester spike was all down to the kids going back to school and was in fact due to cultural behaviour. I don't think the journo had ducked before the impact of that reply hit home. I do hope Dr Jennie gets some serious bling after this is all over - she's a superb weapon in the government's armoury.

Williamson shut off one reporter for asking a bone question - was that Fatima from Channel 4? ..And in her usual very, very tactful and devastating way, Dr Jennie put down the suggestion that the Leicester spike was all down to the kids going back to school and was in fact due to cultural behaviour. I don't think the journo had ducked before the impact of that reply hit home. I do hope Dr Jennie gets some serious bling after this is all over - she's a superb weapon in the government's armoury.
Not keen that scientific johnnies are viewed in that way. Honest brokers, with no axe to grind and no fear of political wastrels and their fellow travellers in the meejah - we need more of such people, but tainting them in the way highlighted is not a good thing.

BAME susceptibility and spike in places like Leicester down to cultural behaviour?

Surely not!

It's not as though the media are encouraging them, is it?

Not keen that scientific johnnies are viewed in that way. Honest brokers, with no axe to grind and no fear of political wastrels and their fellow travellers in the meejah - we need more of such people, but tainting them in the way highlighted is not a good thing.
"The Government's armoury" is not the same as "The Conservatives' armoury".

BuggerAll

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
I’ve just heard the presenter on Classic FM news say that ‘Boris Johnson, the Prime Minister, admits that we’re still learning about COVID19...’.

Admit? Was he previously trying to hide it or deny it? What planet are these people on? FFS.

In other news the Pope admits he’s a catholic and bears admit they poo in the woods.

Dredd

LE
In my experience, the Germans seem to have taken the Brexit vote particularly badly; perhaps they thought that the Anglo-German hostility of the first half of the twentieth century was rearing its head again?
Nope - they suddenly realised who was going to have to foot the new bill and hate being in the position of having to explain what the word "no" means at the next budget round.

Reality bites.

Don't forget the sweat shop issue that flagged up earlier this year apparently

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer
Um...... is it too inappropriate to ask

-how many of the fruit pickers in Herefordshire , currently locked down after 70+ tested +VE for COVID-19, started their journey in Bulgaria/Romania/Moldova ?

I expect BBC Local Radio are all over it....

'' It employs about 200 seasonal pickers and packers from Eastern Europe to help with the crop.

A few workers could be seen in the distance wearing face coverings and walking to the entrance of the farm to collect shopping delivered by the local authority.

I understand although a few of the workers had symptoms, most were asymptomatic and the positive results of 73 people came as a surprise to them. "

Just askin' like, for a friend see?

Oh is that my coat ? how ver' kind....

Latest Threads