The media and Covid-19: making a bad situation worse

Cold_Collation

LE
Book Reviewer
More and more, I'm buying into Corbyn's pre-election assertion that we shouldn't rely on the MSM for news and facts.

He was right, though not necessarily for the right reasons.

Even only a few months ago, social media was packed with skewed facts and propaganda, and MSM looked credible. That suited Corbyn.

Now, I can't distinguish the two a lot of the time. In fact, a lot of the "Yes, but consider this..." stuff that I see people post on Facebook etc (and which turns out to be the fuller story) makes the MSM appear totally agenda-ridden.

R0B

War Hero
Yesterdays press briefing was all about the report into COVID affecting BAMEs more than others. The report just seemed to confirm that BAMEs are more likely to be seriously effected but didn't look at other factors like comorbidities. It only really told us what we already knew.

When it came to for the news jockeys to ask questions they all wanted to know what the government was going to do about it. If I was Matt Hancock I'd like to have asked what do you want us to do?

What is there that can be done? The virus is racist so are they asking that we genetically engineer the virus to kill more whites to even things up a bit.

Is there really anything that the government can reasonably be expected to do?

What is there that can be done? The virus is racist so are they asking that we genetically engineer the virus to kill more whites to even things up a bit.

Put all non-YTs under a strict lockdown, for their own safety. Keep them there until a vaccine, fully trialled and certified, is available.

FFS, Morticia Addams asking Boris about the killing of that bloke by the yank police. WTF has that got to do with Covid 19?

BuggerAll

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
FFS, Morticia Addams asking Boris about the killing of that bloke by the yank police. WTF has that got to do with Covid 19?
It’s called virtue signalling. It’s what passes for ethical conduct on the left.

Spotted this earlier:
1591222940655.png

This story may on the face of it seem to be only relevant to Scotland but as Brian Wilson goes on to explain, there are dangers in the London press leaving out important details in their reports. It was 10 weeks before a BBC disclosure show revealed the Covid 19 outbreak at the Nike Centre in February. Brian said he wouldn't have gone near the centre two weeks later for a Rugby match if this had been made known earlier. SNP have otherwise managed to sidestep this unchallenged by the UK national broadcasters.

"Will any of these lessons be learned? Not unless they are taken seriously. The Scottish Nationalists are past masters at manipulating the lazy London media in order to be presented on their own terms, which then plays back into Scotland to their considerable advantage. "

BBC and ITV he says could have learned from Sky and Channel 4 in the case of Scottish care homes. I'm no fan of Channel 4 News these days but in this case they investigated serious issues in Scotland that went unreported elsewhere.

London media is letting Nicola Sturgeon off the hook on Covid-19 failings

BY BRIAN WILSON / 3 JUNE 2020

“Was this a UK-wide story or a Scottish one alone?” In other words, should it have featured in UK-wide news coverage or could it safely be left to the Scottish opt-outs, for Scottish interest alone? The answer which BBC and ITN came up with in practice – if they even asked the question – was to treat it as a “Scotland only” story of no wider relevance.

London media is letting Nicola Sturgeon off the hook on Covid-19 failings - Reaction

Last edited:

Helm

MIA
Book Reviewer
This story may on the face of it seem to be only relevant to Scotland but as Brian Wilson goes on to explain, there are dangers in the London press leaving out important details in their reports. It was 10 weeks before a BBC disclosure show revealed the Covid 19 outbreak at the Nike Centre in February. Brian said he wouldn't have gone near the conference if this had been made known earlier. SNP have otherwise managed to sidestep this unchallenged by the UK national broadcasters.

BBC and ITV he says could have learned from Sky and Channel 4 in the case of Scottish care homes. I'm no fan of Channel 4 News these days but in this case they investigated serious issues in Scotland that went unreported elsewhere.

London media is letting Nicola Sturgeon off the hook on Covid-19 failings

BY BRIAN WILSON / 3 JUNE 2020

“Was this a UK-wide story or a Scottish one alone?” In other words, should it have featured in UK-wide news coverage or could it safely be left to the Scottish opt-outs, for Scottish interest alone? The answer which BBC and ITN came up with in practice – if they even asked the question – was to treat it as a “Scotland only” story of no wider relevance.

London media is letting Nicola Sturgeon off the hook on Covid-19 failings - Reaction
They only had 3 nails and used them to try and crucify Boris instead.

I seem to recall some in the media suggested that Sweden made the right calls. Oh dear.

Sweden launches probe into handling of pandemic
The Nordic country has decided to hasten a probe into its handling of the coronavirus crisis amid mounting pressure from both left and right parties. A significant number of fatalities were found in nursing homes.

Sweden launches probe into handling of pandemic | DW | 01.06.2020

Coronavirus in Sweden: Anguished foreigners call it quits
Sweden has left residents to decide for themselves how to behave in the COVID-19 pandemic. That's outraged some foreign residents, who now plan to move away from the country as soon as they can.

Coronavirus in Sweden: Anguished foreigners call it quits | DW | 02.06.2020

Architect of Sweden's coronavirus approach admits shortcoming

The Scandinavian country has come in for widespread criticism for not imposing the strict lockdowns seen elsewhere. Sweden has one of the highest death rates per capita from the novel virus in the world.

Architect of Sweden's coronavirus approach admits shortcoming | DW | 03.06.2020

corby

Old-Salt
All you baldies better take care, I've just heard on the radio that bald men are more susceptible to the lurgy.

Yesterdays press briefing was all about the report into COVID affecting BAMEs more than others. The report just seemed to confirm that BAMEs are more likely to be seriously effected but didn't look at other factors like comorbidities. It only really told us what we already knew.

When it came to for the news jockeys to ask questions they all wanted to know what the government was going to do about it. If I was Matt Hancock I'd like to have asked what do you want us to do?

It kills twice as many blokes as birds too. That makes it sexist or something. Strangely, no one seems to be frothing about this........

Slime

LE
I just heard Sadiq Khan on the 11am news on TalkRadio.

While he generally spouted made up and self important nonsense he did also say ‘I don’t understand’ as part of one sentence.
I think he should have just said ‘I don’t understand’ and left it at that.

While he generally spouted made up and self important nonsense he did also say ‘I don’t understand’ as part of one sentence.
The bookies have the 2020 Mayoral Election (whenever it happens) at

1/5 Sadiq Khan​
5/1 Shaun Bailey​
33/1 bar​
Does that mean Londoners think he is the best mayor ever or just the best choice from a bunch of shite candidates?

Slime

LE
The bookies have the 2020 Mayoral Election (whenever it happens) at

1/5 Sadiq Khan​
5/1 Shaun Bailey​
33/1 bar​
Does that mean Londoners think he is the best mayor ever or just the best choice from a bunch of shite candidates?
I’d rather have Shaun Bailey any day, he talks far more sense.

Dredd

LE

Comment on Radio Porridge this morning was "the virus does not differentiate".

Oh yes it does. It infects, then works it magic on the individual that is least able to fight it off.

And that comes down to current general health coupled with age.

So if certain parts of society are being affected more than others, that is most likely the cause. And health can be determined by both genetic and environmental reasons.

Yay!!! Death count bumps past 40,000 today!!! (40,261)....MSM will be over the moon and the headlines they were hoping to use yesterday can be dragged out again...

For a virus that is so particular about targetting the BAME community it sure is doing pretty well at leaving many of the 'B' countries alone. The Worldometer website is keeping a running total on infections and deaths globally and lists every country in a scoreboard fashion. UK is currently fifth from top with 282k total cases. You have to scroll down the list a fair way to find the first african country (Nigeria at 55 with 11,500 total cases and only 8 deaths yesterday) Why aren't the BAME countries leading the pack in this scoreboard? Are we just better at counting?

BuggerAll

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
For a virus that is so particular about targetting the BAME community it sure is doing pretty well at leaving many of the 'B' countries alone. The Worldometer website is keeping a running total on infections and deaths globally and lists every country in a scoreboard fashion. UK is currently fifth from top with 282k total cases. You have to scroll down the list a fair way to find the first african country (Nigeria at 55 with 11,500 total cases and only 8 deaths yesterday) Why aren't the BAME countries leading the pack in this scoreboard? Are we just better at counting?
I have no idea why Covid 19 does not appear to be affecting Africa (yet) as significantly as western countries.

I think the reason it is affecting minority communities in the west is is the same reason it is affecting poorer communities Underlying health issues and challenges around compliance with the guidelines.

Problem is he doesn't understand that he doesn't understand.

It's all very Dunning Kruger.

Latest Threads