The media and Covid-19: making a bad situation worse

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Interesting rebuttal in the mail today, if they are right then the whole DC affair was fake news,

How story that sparked week of national rage was fuelled by fake news
Interesting quote in that link
" A Guardian spokesman said: ‘Without our investigation, Dominic Cummings’s trip to Durham, and his subsequent trip to Barnard Castle, which have caused widespread anger among the public and across the political spectrum, would not have come into the public domain.’

There in a nutshell is the motive behind the whole Guardian approach. My bold.

Sophie Ridge just now, to Dominic Raab - "Just a couple of other things I want to get you on …"

She's wearing her Freudian Slip again.

Still nothing on the Beeb website about this.

I'm simultaneously not surprised and shocked, I tell you.
There was early on but it seems all references have been hoovered/swept under the carpet or relegated to the darkest corners- which is a shame

Truxx

LE
With regards to Guardian circulation, that so many Hospitals, council's and educational facilities take it as its the main tool for recruitment thats your lower circulation, I would love that it disappeared up its own arse however once this is over I can see the numbers going back up.

As to why all these organisations feel to advertise in it is another matter.
And why it rates as "Main Stream Media" is utterly beyond me.

Last edited:

Truxx

LE
" A Guardian spokesman said: ‘Our investigation, caused widespread anger among the public and across the political spectrum,.’

Is what that should have said

Slime

LE
Yes I do the same and I also listen to a lot of commentary from online sources that I have come to trust. I also force myself, as I am doing now, to listen to commentary from people whom I despise or simply disagree with to avoid being trapped in an echo chamber which can be dangerous.

If we only listen to sources that we agree with, we only see things through their eyes.

I tend to use the legacy media news feeds as an alarm or trip wire to check for major events and then go to other places to find out more about the event.
To learn from as many news sources or info sources is a must :)
A brilliant example was the Salisbury Novichock case, the difference between social media, local news and national news was staggering.

While local print, tv and radio MSM obviously gave more and better info than the national equivalents we also had the added differences between U.K. media and foriegn sources who were: neutral, hostile or friendly to the U.K.

Also with a political story like Salisbury we get the added ‘value’ of paid trolls or conspiracy theorists on social media or websites.

What was very apparent though was that some things that were learned within one hour on social media did not appear in the MSM for 12-18 months.

The current Corona media scrum is also multi faceted so needs to be looked at from multiple sources just as you say.

Even if we ignore the the anti tory or pro remainer backgrounds of some in the MSM we still have the circus that is the opinion of the Labour party, with many differing factions within the party, the parties split views on its new labour ship or their avoidance of taliking about Alistair Campbell.

The Alistair Campbell story is fairly interesting imho.
The Corbynistas hate him so it’s a case of good riddance even before Corona virus.
SKS is trying to avoid him (imho) as AC is ‘new Labour’ and SKS is trying to be a statesman and doesn’t want to talk about new Labour. It is somewhat amusing that many in the shadow cabinet like to lay on the fact that new Labour was a different labour.........essentially distancing their current election losing party with Labour’s most successful era.

The kindest comments I’ve seen or heard towards AC lately have come from journalists in independent media outlets, they are expressing concern for his mental health rather than making political statements.

Apologies, that got a bit rambly :)

Last edited:
According to Media Bias Fact Check, the Guardian is not a trustworthy source of news. Anything they publish needs to be fact checked.Yet the BBC fawn over them. No wonder their reputation has suffered.
View attachment 478146
The Guardian - Media Bias/Fact Check
I tend to believe that. It's certainly nailed the Daily Heil-

I tend to believe that. It's certainly nailed the Daily Heil-

I knew it was poor but wow that's bad.

1590937075304.png

First question from Joe Public ref whether track 'n trace call is legit - didn't we have that question a day or two back?

Chris Mason of the BBC reminds me of Louis Theroux with his method of polite, respectful yet relevant questioning. It’s a shame the Beeb only put him on as the weekend sub for LK. In my opinion, she should be hoofed and Chris Mason promoted to the main man.

Now some vicar asking whether churches can be allowed to minister to their congregations.

Congregations ... hint

" A Guardian spokesman said: ‘Without our investigation, Dominic Cummings’s trip to Durham, and his subsequent trip to Barnard Castle, which have caused widespread anger among the public and across the political spectrum, would not have come into the public domain.’

Yes exactly. Im just going to put this out there that Barnard Castle is a town.

I went to bishops castle myself recently for work. Never saw any fortified buildings or site seeing tours, just a town.