The media and Covid-19: making a bad situation worse

Slime

LE
I thought today's Q&A session was going quite well until that thicko from The Guardian on Sunday Observer stuck his oar in. What is it with these leftie journos. Do they actually enjoy having their arses handed to them?
To be honest he made some excellent points......,not that they were the points intended.

He alluded to the fact that over sixty million people haven’t called for Cummings to be sacked.

:)

Slime

LE
The beeb added some useful facts to the debate too today.
By telling us that 7 SAGE scientists were in disagreement with the lockdown changes that also meant 43 or more are in agreement :)

The beeb added some useful facts to the debate too today.
By telling us that 7 SAGE scientists were in disagreement with the lockdown changes that also meant 43 or more are in agreement :)
Which SAGE was that please? The official SAGE, with a communist infiltrator or the hard left activist fake SAGE of which the same communist is also a member?

Slime

LE
Which SAGE was that please? The official SAGE, with a communist infiltrator or the hard left activist fake SAGE of which the same communist is also a member?
You raise a good point. I’m sure a beeb journalist earlier mentioned that there was another ‘independent’ SAGE as well as the one advising the government.

It’s amusing to hear the beeb endorse one SAGE group while not doing the same for another :)

BobbHope

War Hero
U
This evening, Sky News getting wet with excitement as JVT appears to condemn Dominic Cummings.

In my opinion, rules are for all, to be obeyed by all.

He didn’t say whether or not he thought Cummings broke those rules, in fact, he didn’t mention Cummings.

Christ on a bike, journalists are ignorant.
JVT is clearly the most straight talking voice of all at this time. There is no doubting his honesty. I fear he may have mis-stepped this evening though. He spent a very long time telling the country about the fragility of the new lockdown easement. I wondered how that message would get across considering that most people will not watch the whole SKY broadcast but rather their bit of the news or social media. His last comment very clearly stated "His Opinion" on the lockdown measures but now, due to the febrile press his original message may be lost.

I worked for a well known broadcaster too, but that was many years ago.
My posts here bigging up platforms other than MSM are because I’ve got used to seeing ‘news’ items as they happen, and filmed by members of the public, and never (or rarely) shown or used by MSM.

While there is a LOT of rubbish on social media, there are also excellent feeds, and the content is live, sometimes covering events that last less than one minute.
Yes I do the same and I also listen to a lot of commentary from online sources that I have come to trust. I also force myself, as I am doing now, to listen to commentary from people whom I despise or simply disagree with to avoid being trapped in an echo chamber which can be dangerous.

If we only listen to sources that we agree with, we only see things through their eyes.

I tend to use the legacy media news feeds as an alarm or trip wire to check for major events and then go to other places to find out more about the event.

R0B

War Hero
BBC "analysis" was much the same they even mentioned he didn't mention him by name but then claim that's who he meant. What utter dross.
" Wham bam Van-Tam.Professor Jonathan Van-Tam knew exactly what he was doing when he was asked by The Observer's Toby Helm about Dominic Cummings, the prime minister's most senior adviser, who, among other things, drove 50 miles to test his eyesight during the lockdown.

England's deputy chief medical officer could have sought refuge in the way his boss, Professor Chris Whitty, and the government's chief scientific adviser, Sir Patrick Vallance, did the other day. Leave us out of the politics, was the gist of how they swerved requests for their views.There was no such ducking of the issue from Prof Van-Tam. Instead, bluntly, he delivered a firm kick in the goolies.Yes, he didn't refer to Cummings by name, but he made it explicit he would take on the question directly."I am quite happy to answer it," he volunteered."In my opinion, the rules are clear. In my opinion, they are for the benefit of all. And in my opinion they apply to all."Ouch.For the ninth day in a row, Dominic Cummings is still in the news."
Utter and total nonsense. That's not analysis it's yet another opinionated hatchet job.
Helm looks like he thought Prof. Van-Tam referred to DC directly.

SafariScreenSnapz092.png

Helm

MIA
Book Reviewer
Well to my total lack of surprise, BBC site has tucked the report from the Mail 3 articles down in the papers section, under 3 articles bashing DC/Govt, not a mention of the Labour M.P. even in politics.

Well how about she's now the sole topic of the next 10 daily briefings ,with demands as to her eyesight, driving licence status and lack of morals?
Balls in your court Laura...
Absolutely no chance of that happening. She is being held up on Twitter as a paragon of virtue because she resigned. What she actually did is give up her job in the whips office. This will have no financial impact on her. She will carry on pulling in 82k per year.
She has admitted to breaking the rules, not the spirit of the rules, which when it was Cummings appeared to mean that a virtual and actual mob would harrass you for days on end.
If Sir Kier, is a man of his word he will pull the whip from her and she will have to sit as an independant. Won't happen
If she isn't a massive hypocrit, her Twitter feed is rammed with comments about stay at home save lives etc, she will stand down and refight her seat. She won't

What will happen is the usual suspects on here will be shortly amusing us with many and varied yebbut, but she's a different case, she didn't do nuffin.

Cummings might have transgressed, thrown to the MSM wolves
Duffield, definately broke the rules, resigns from a non job, lauded as virtuous by Twitter. Let's see what the MSM take on the matter is. I'm happy to bet that it doesn't involve camping out on her door step, travelling miles to try and get a comment from her parents. I'd like to be proved wrong but somehow guess I won't be

Let's see what the MSM take on the matter is. I'm happy to bet that it doesn't involve camping out on her door step, travelling miles to try and get a comment from her
I’ll tell you exactly what their take will be - “nothing to see here, move on”. Bunch of Hypocrites.

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
I am rapidly coming to the belief that there is more to the media actions than just Covid-19.

We are now moving, at different speeds round Britain admittedly, out of lockdown and one would think the media would be cock a hoop and their audience getting their lives back with papers and TV screens full of the good news.

No, their focus is fully on how to mis manage and negatively report anything and everything re Covid-19.

Now, cynical hat on, makes one wonder how much if this is to extend Covid-19 lockdown as long as possible. This would put pressure on the government to delay Brexit and ask the EU for an extension! BJ has already knocked that back but it was hardly mentioned in the media and moved on from very quickly.

Ok, I am definitely biased but that is how it is appearing. Next thing we will hear is the media complaining that the government are doing nothing about Brexit whereas it is more they are not fully reporting Brexit issues.

Anyone not expecting the media to complain the BJ has taken Britain out of the EU behind everyone's back?

I am rapidly coming to the belief that there is more to the media actions than just Covid-19.

We are now moving, at different speeds round Britain admittedly, out of lockdown and one would think the media would be cock a hoop and their audience getting their lives back with papers and TV screens full of the good news.

No, their focus is fully on how to mis manage and negatively report anything and everything re Covid-19.

Now, cynical hat on, makes one wonder how much if this is to extend Covid-19 lockdown as long as possible. This would put pressure on the government to delay Brexit and ask the EU for an extension! BJ has already knocked that back but it was hardly mentioned in the media and moved on from very quickly.

Ok, I am definitely biased but that is how it is appearing. Next thing we will hear is the media complaining that the government are doing nothing about Brexit whereas it is more they are not fully reporting Brexit issues.

Anyone not expecting the media to complain the BJ has taken Britain out of the EU behind everyone's back?
I think I can see a slight flaw there, AY.
It’s Machiavellian, certainly, but it would require top-class brains to think like that!

This country of ours (I’m including all 4 corners, unless I’ve missed something in lockdown) is going to need every available pound to rebuild post Covid. What we absolutely cannot afford to do is shore up over 20 basket case EU economies, which were struggling before this kicked off and will be in even more dire straits. We were the 3rd largest net contributor to the EU - well that gravy train has pulled into its final destination.
Get Brexit done and concentrate on rebuilding this great country of ours; I don’t personally care what woes the likes of Greece, Italy, Romania etc are facing, we have enough problems of our own. Charity must begin at home, until we are in a position to consider others.

Latest Threads