The media and Covid-19: making a bad situation worse

I felt that Sir Patrick Vallance seemed a tad uncomfortable about further easing of lockdown.He emphasised the fact that the R value was only just below one and that the daily rate of new infections was far too high even now and how vital Social distancing was etc .
I wonder if he would have preferred to have waited another two or three weeks to see how the infection rates were panning out , especially after it appears that the world and his wife decided to crowd the beaches etc.
Maybe I was reading too much into it while not quite believing my ears with some of the questions being asked .
had to go out to hospital yesterday,

The media have done a sterling job tirelessly pushing back against the government, Lockdown has de facto ended.

No one social distancing, no one wearing masks, no one using gel or handwash points, let alone their own, town rammed with people just milling, roads as crowded as ever.

if the infection rate goes up, you just know it will be ‘Why did Boris raise lockdown too quick and kill hundreds!’

Mrs Fox

Swinger
had to go out to hospital yesterday,

The media have done a sterling job tirelessly pushing back against the government, Lockdown has de facto ended.

No one social distancing, no one wearing masks, no one using gel or handwash points, let alone their own, town rammed with people just milling, roads as crowded as ever.

if the infection rate goes up, you just know it will be ‘Why did Boris raise lockdown too quick and kill hundreds!’
Which part of the country are you living in ? If that's okay to ask .
Again I agree with you as well , the media wanted the lockdown then as soon as we went into it it was"when are we coming out " what about this section of society , don't you care for the elderly ? and on and on it has gone to the point of nauseum .
Now of course schools are to reopen in a small way , that's wrong , but the public from what I have seen and heard from friends , see it as a free for all out there .
The track and trace is being dissed before it's begun because folks have their tinfoil hats on and have decided that it's a form of control rather than a measure to protect everyone .The irony being that in the beginning there was criticism of us being behind countries who used track and trace .
We will be back under lockdown if we aren't careful, and I'm afraid it's the media leading the public on who have forgotten to use their own train of thought and blindly follow the outrage and agendas .
Of course like you have said it will be another stick to best BOris with .
The press really are slimebuckets.

Which part of the country are you living in ? If that's okay to ask .
Again I agree with you as well , the media wanted the lockdown then as soon as we went into it it was"when are we coming out " what about this section of society , don't you care for the elderly ? and on and on it has gone to the point of nauseum .
Now of course schools are to reopen in a small way , that's wrong , but the public from what I have seen and heard from friends , see it as a free for all out there .
The track and trace is being dissed before it's begun because folks have their tinfoil hats on and have decided that it's a form of control rather than a measure to protect everyone .The irony being that in the beginning there was criticism of us being behind countries who used track and trace .
We will be back under lockdown if we aren't careful, and I'm afraid it's the media leading the public on who have forgotten to use their own train of thought and blindly follow the outrage and agendas .
Of course like you have said it will be another stick to best BOris with .
The press really are slimebuckets.

Near Portsmouth

Helm

MIA
Book Reviewer
Been out today, everything much the same as this time last week, no plague ridden hordes roaming the streets chanting Dom said it was ok, distinct lack of piled up bodies he infected by driving on the motorway, all a bit of a let down really.

Been out today, everything much the same as this time last week, no plague ridden hordes roaming the streets chanting Dom said it was ok, distinct lack of piled up bodies he infected by driving on the motorway, all a bit of a let down really.
On the bright side, the Lib Dems can now hold their annual conference and an even bigger one if they move it up to Scotland! :grin:

Out running with the missus this morning and was greeted with some whey faced harridan screaming at her indoors " THATS NOT 2 METRES BITCH " . Does make you wonder where they get this complete bullshit from. Im guessing the Daily Mail et al
SWMBO who is a toxicologist by trade and could have explained in painstaking detail why the aforementioned was talking out of her arrse but elected to take the high road with "jog on " . I was so proud :-D

Much more sensible questions today, but then the tsars (shurely 'stars') of the show don't work Fridays unless they sense blood in the water.

TamH70

MIA
Both of the supermarkets and the chemist branch I visited today were observing social distancing, with spacing, limits on customers inside the stores and sanitizer for the trolleys and so on. None of the chatter I overheard that was concerning the media pondlife was in any way favourable towards them.

Seadog

ADC
This evening, Sky News getting wet with excitement as JVT appears to condemn Dominic Cummings.

In my opinion, rules are for all, to be obeyed by all.

He didn’t say whether or not he thought Cummings broke those rules, in fact, he didn’t mention Cummings.

Christ on a bike, journalists are ignorant.

This evening, Sky News getting wet with excitement as JVT appears to condemn Dominic Cummings.

He didn’t say whether or not he thought Cummings broke those rules, in fact, he didn’t mention Cummings.

Evidence of Dominic Cummings breaking social distancing rules.

EE7B745E-CD11-484E-B225-A29597604815.jpeg

Helm

MIA
Book Reviewer

BBC "analysis" was much the same they even mentioned he didn't mention him by name but then claim that's who he meant. What utter dross.
" Wham bam Van-Tam.Professor Jonathan Van-Tam knew exactly what he was doing when he was asked by The Observer's Toby Helm about Dominic Cummings, the prime minister's most senior adviser, who, among other things, drove 50 miles to test his eyesight during the lockdown.

England's deputy chief medical officer could have sought refuge in the way his boss, Professor Chris Whitty, and the government's chief scientific adviser, Sir Patrick Vallance, did the other day. Leave us out of the politics, was the gist of how they swerved requests for their views.There was no such ducking of the issue from Prof Van-Tam. Instead, bluntly, he delivered a firm kick in the goolies.Yes, he didn't refer to Cummings by name, but he made it explicit he would take on the question directly."I am quite happy to answer it," he volunteered."In my opinion, the rules are clear. In my opinion, they are for the benefit of all. And in my opinion they apply to all."Ouch.For the ninth day in a row, Dominic Cummings is still in the news."
Utter and total nonsense. That's not analysis it's yet another opinionated hatchet job.

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
The media just can't stay away from this. They smelled blood but were fecked off at the high port and are now just like wee huffy girls.

E Bott.jpg

The actual funny thing is that those who are a bit stuck in the past will still say that traditional media is still the best source for info.

I get my news and current affairs from a variety of sources, and so am used to hearing, reading or watching a MSM ‘exclusive‘ or ‘breaking news items‘ several days after seeing it from other sources.

There are of course posters here who previously had a ‘day job’ of securing info that wouldn’t be available via MSM or conventional media, and are well aware that multiple feeds provide more accurate info.
I worked for a TV broadcaster a while back and as you may or may not know, there is a legal requirement to record and store between 30 and 90 days of the content that you played out. This is to either be used in a dispute over what went to air later in the event of complaints or to prove to advertisers that you did air their ads.

Anyway, an Israeli company and a US company made competing products that would record hundreds of channels, store and index the content for 90+ days or more if you wanted and then it would transcribe the audio using voice recognition software.

Then any interested party could search every channel for key words or phrases. In one use case, a system would record every news channel broadcast on earth. An operator would then search it for a point of interest such as "Hillary Clinton". The system would then serve up clips from every channel containing segments that had content about her.

The two vendors were quick to point out that their other customers, who could not be names (wink wink nudge nudge) included certain US government 3 letter organisations and their British and Israeli counterparts.

We just used to them to record content to settle legals disputes. These system are common at every broadcaster and it would be an interesting development if they became available to the public.

You could search for something about the riots in the US in the last 24 hours on hundreds of news channels and filter out the garbage, correlate propaganda outlets, see how many or which channels are relaying chinese propaganda etc...

Slime

LE
I worked for a TV broadcaster a while back and as you may or may not know, there is a legal requirement to record and store between 30 and 90 days of the content that you played out. This is to either be used in a dispute over what went to air later in the event of complaints or to prove to advertisers that you did air their ads.

Anyway, an Israeli company and a US company made competing products that would record hundreds of channels, store and index the content for 90+ days or more if you wanted and then it would transcribe the audio using voice recognition software.

Then any interested party could search every channel for key words or phrases. In one use case, a system would record every news channel broadcast on earth. An operator would then search it for a point of interest such as "Hillary Clinton". The system would then serve up clips from every channel containing segments that had content about her.

The two vendors were quick to point out that their other customers, who could not be names (wink wink nudge nudge) included certain US government 3 letter organisations and their British and Israeli counterparts.

We just used to them to record content to settle legals disputes. These system are common at every broadcaster and it would be an interesting development if they became available to the public.

You could search for something about the riots in the US in the last 24 hours on hundreds of news channels and filter out the garbage, correlate propaganda outlets, see how many or which channels are relaying chinese propaganda etc...
I worked for a well known broadcaster too, but that was many years ago.
My posts here bigging up platforms other than MSM are because I’ve got used to seeing ‘news’ items as they happen, and filmed by members of the public, and never (or rarely) shown or used by MSM.

While there is a LOT of rubbish on social media, there are also excellent feeds, and the content is live, sometimes covering events that last less than one minute.

Professor Van Tam outdid himself today on the lockdown restrictions being gradually reduced but everyone should take them seriously and "don't tear the pants out of it".

An excellent turn of phrase but I get the feeling he censored himself slightly.

I thought today's Q&A session was going quite well until that thicko from The Guardian on Sunday Observer stuck his oar in. What is it with these leftie journos. Do they actually enjoy having their arses handed to them?

Latest Threads