The media and Covid-19: making a bad situation worse

Polyester

Old-Salt
The Beeb 10pm TV news was ‘interesting’ tonight.
A segment showed a portion of today’s briefing when LK was talking to Boris. I suspected the Beeb wouldn’t show the silly face LK pulled as she was cut off............and they didn’t. Instead they edited the footage to have it cut to a long shot of Boris and one of the charts on TV.

They chose NOT to show the segment where the two briefing advisers both said they 100% DIDN'T want to answer political questions, but instead showed a vid of Kier Starmer saying advisers shouldnt be barred from answering questions.

Imho the piece was edited and segmented to portray the 100% reverse of some things that happened in the briefing.

This was followed by an update on the ‘Cummings story’
The Cummings ’update’ included the info that if Durham police had seen Cummings three weeks ago they would have told him to drive home to London.

It was really ‘informative’ to hear that three weeks ago the police didn’t see Cummings, didn’t speak to him or offer him advice on his travel arrangement, but would have IF they had seen him three weeks ago. :)
We really could do with a renaissance in journalism.

I’m intrigued actually. Surely a senior officer should be able to cogently argue their case? I was under the impression that Sandhurst encouraged intellectual curiosity, debate and empathy in argument?
That's a big ask for a soup server and chief apologist...

Polyester

Old-Salt
He used to be a really interesting poster, BRIXMIS and all that.
But since the referendum he has changed and one word uninformative posts from him are now quite common.
He's not alone mind.
That is a shame. I have noticed he has faced heavy censure of late from a lot of posters which could explain his reluctance to engage in normal conversation. I hope things go back to normal eventually and we can hear more about the Brixmis stuff. Once acceptance of Brexit and a five year Tory government has set in things should be just dandy.

The Cummings ’update’ included the info that if Durham police had seen Cummings three weeks ago they would have told him to drive home to London.

It was really ‘informative’ to hear that three weeks ago the police didn’t see Cummings, didn’t speak to him or offer him advice on his travel arrangement, but would have IF they had seen him three weeks ago. :)
I await the news from the Beeb that if Jack Slipper had met with Bruce Reynolds, Buster Edwards, Charlie Wilson, Brian Field and Ronnie Biggs in July 1963 he would have offered them advice not to rob the mail train from Glasgow the following month.

That is a shame. I have noticed he has faced heavy censure of late from a lot of posters which could explain his reluctance to engage in normal conversation. I hope things go back to normal eventually and we can heat more about the Brixmis stuff. Once acceptance of Brexit and a five year Tory government has set in things should be just dandy.
I wouldn't be too sure about that.
Brexit seems to have turned him into a different person.
I doubt he will ever get over it.

Slime

LE
I await the news from the Beeb that if Jack Slipper had met with Bruce Reynolds, Buster Edwards, Charlie Wilson, Brian Field and Ronnie Biggs in July 1963 he would have offered them advice not to rob the mail train from Glasgow the following month.
If you would really like to see that story maybe Jim could fix it for you.
He was high up in the beeb.

Polyester

Old-Salt
If you would really like to see that story maybe Jim could fix it for you.
He was high up in the beeb.
You called...

Somebody once told me that Terry Wogan was Irish, I said "Is He" and do you know what, he was.

Seadog

ADC
Sam Coates got told how it is by the scientists.

Not only that, but both question and answers nailed the DC issue as political, rather rather than public health related.

What a tw@t, his colleagues won't be raising a glass to him tonight in their close proximity key worker bars. Vacuous turds that they are.
On the Sky debrief of the 1700 press call, Sam Coates appeared rattled, humbled, even traumatised. The professors’ intervention was bang on.

——————

Edited to add ‘traumatised’.

Last edited:
Well looking at the proposed Prem schedule the remainers have fecked it. Just as they stop whining about Dom and schools and try to turn to no deal daily matches minimum during the run up to no deal. Expect 'news' eyeballs to drop through the floor.

Mrs Fox

Swinger
I felt that Sir Patrick Vallance seemed a tad uncomfortable about further easing of lockdown.He emphasised the fact that the R value was only just below one and that the daily rate of new infections was far too high even now and how vital Social distancing was etc .
I wonder if he would have preferred to have waited another two or three weeks to see how the infection rates were panning out , especially after it appears that the world and his wife decided to crowd the beaches etc.
Maybe I was reading too much into it while not quite believing my ears with some of the questions being asked .

The Beeb 10pm TV news was ‘interesting’ tonight.
A segment showed a portion of today’s briefing when LK was talking to Boris. I suspected the Beeb wouldn’t show the silly face LK pulled as she was cut off............and they didn’t. Instead they edited the footage to have it cut to a long shot of Boris and one of the charts on TV.

They chose NOT to show the segment where the two briefing advisers both said they 100% DIDN'T want to answer political questions, but instead showed a vid of Kier Starmer saying advisers shouldnt be barred from answering questions.

Imho the piece was edited and segmented to portray the 100% reverse of some things that happened in the briefing.
That justifies to me my reasons for no longer watching the BBC for news.

Note to any journos reading these threads: you need to start sorting your shit out because you've reached gutter level once more and are a serious waste of atoms.

That is a shame. I have noticed he has faced heavy censure of late from a lot of posters which could explain his reluctance to engage in normal conversation. I hope things go back to normal eventually and we can hear more about the Brixmis stuff. Once acceptance of Brexit and a five year Tory government has set in things should be just dandy.
I used to read BL's posts with interest but during the Brexit process he became more and more wibble headed. I tried to engage with him in a serious way but to no avail. In the end I resorted to the ignore button just to cut through the white noise. I honestly hope he hasn't gone doolally but I think there might be something not right in his head.

I thought both the CMO and the CSA were being "cautious" and were very much suppressing their anger at Sam Coates trying to draw them into answering political questions. That said, didn't at least one of the other journos try it on as well?

I think the time might be coming that journos will be excluded from these briefings and all the questions will come from members of the public. Might raise the intelectual level of the questions.

Mrs Fox

Swinger
I agree @baldbof , it has from the beginning in LK, RP and BR's case been the journos vs politicians- it's a daily let's provoke the politicians match and not the "let's ask intelligent questions "
The only things I can think as to why they are stil allowed , is that if they weren't there, there 'd be cry of surpression of free speech and secondly it might be that by continuing to have the journos on m the journos are showing themselves up as the petulant , arrogant as well as the ignorant bunch that they are and inadvertently make the government look better.
The closing down of LK , Peston and Coates was spot on and sent the message out that you journos aren't in charge , shut up.

Brotherton Lad

LE
Kit Reviewer
He has never been able to articulate in any detail just why he hates Brexit so much, which is a pity. He has lived through an interesting period of history, so presumably his personal experience has informed his viewpoint.
I don't hate it. It's a great source of entertainment for me.

giatttt

Old-Salt
It's been a remarkably short time since we used to berate the media for their insistence on presenting a risible pundit with an opposing view in the interest of being balanced to the current position where the media are the opposition.

The question posed by the Sky creature defies comment other than to say that the suggestion of hostage-like nods or shakes of the head by the CMO and the CS made my eyes widen. Their respective answers, at least, fobbed off what must have been one of the most farcical questions asked by the media yet.

I'm going to use the PMs semaphore remark in casual conversation more frequently from now on.

Latest Threads