The media and Covid-19: making a bad situation worse

Slime

LE
Alternatively, you could argue, that the general public has been so thrashed with lies by the media to the point that it has learned to do only one thing now. And that is to turn its back.

It isn’t necessary to follow the traditional media platforms to be informed about current affairs.
The actual funny thing is that those who are a bit stuck in the past will still say that traditional media is still the best source for info.

I get my news and current affairs from a variety of sources, and so am used to hearing, reading or watching a MSM ‘exclusive‘ or ‘breaking news items‘ several days after seeing it from other sources.

There are of course posters here who previously had a ‘day job’ of securing info that wouldn’t be available via MSM or conventional media, and are well aware that multiple feeds provide more accurate info.

I find these proud displays of wilful ignorance most illuminating.
I don't consider using the Reuters app a display of willful ignorance. They report the facts and allow me form my own conclusions, as opposed to giving my opinion to me.
ETA Given that my business is farming I know that a knowledge of domestic current affairs and global politics is essential part of planning my farming policy and tactics. I do need to know about Australian brushfires and Kansas snowstorms, French port strikes and Russian involvement in Ukraine. I don't need to be told that Dominic Cummings is the antichrist.

Last edited:

Polyester

Old-Salt
The actual funny thing is that those who are a bit stuck in the past will still say that traditional media is still the best source for info.

I get my news and current affairs from a variety of sources, and so am used to hearing, reading or watching a MSM ‘exclusive‘ or ‘breaking news items‘ several days after seeing it from other sources.

There are of course posters here who previously had a ‘day job’ of securing info that wouldn’t be available via MSM or conventional media, and are well aware that multiple feeds provide more accurate info.
I couldn’t agree more. Multiple feeds from a variety of sources is a good way to keep up. It also affords the opportunity to do a bit of lateral thinking.

Helm

MIA
Book Reviewer
BL always get a bit snippy when yet another of his "this will destroy Brexit" schemes falls on it's arse.

BL always get a bit snippy when yet another of his "this will destroy Brexit" schemes falls on it's arse.
He has never been able to articulate in any detail just why he hates Brexit so much, which is a pity. He has lived through an interesting period of history, so presumably his personal experience has informed his viewpoint.

Helm

MIA
Book Reviewer
He has never been able to articulate in any detail just why he hates Brexit so much, which is a pity. He has lived through an interesting period of history, so presumably his personal experience has informed his viewpoint.
Nor any tangible reason to stay, odd really.

You don't, much like when you thought I was disappointed or something, you were once again totally wrong.
Are you sure BL was wrong. He is the only one in his cruel world of relentlessly advancing senile dementia.

How can he possibly be wrong when he is the supreme leader and the entire citizenry of the world he occupies?

I hear tell that he is the go to bloke for General Election betting tips though.

Are you sure BL was wrong. He is the only one in his cruel world of relentlessly advancing senile dementia.

How can he possibly be wrong when he is the supreme leader and the entire citizenry of the world he occupies?

I hear tell that he is the go to bloke for General Election betting tips though.
I reckon it would take 50 of his posts to make up the space of a single short paragraph.
Almost monosyllabic.

Polyester

Old-Salt
I reckon it would take 50 of his posts to make up the space of a single short paragraph.
Almost monosyllabic.
I’m intrigued actually. Surely a senior officer should be able to cogently argue their case? I was under the impression that Sandhurst encouraged intellectual curiosity, debate and empathy in argument?

I’m intrigued actually. Surely a senior officer should be able to cogently argue their case? I was under the impression that Sandhurst encouraged intellectual curiosity, debate and empathy in argument?
I think he feels he is far to posh to acually speak with us and can only cope by speaking down to us.
An obsolete Victorian affectation that some Working Class 'Johnny Jump Ups' like to present.

Slime

LE
The Beeb 10pm TV news was ‘interesting’ tonight.
A segment showed a portion of today’s briefing when LK was talking to Boris. I suspected the Beeb wouldn’t show the silly face LK pulled as she was cut off............and they didn’t. Instead they edited the footage to have it cut to a long shot of Boris and one of the charts on TV.

They chose NOT to show the segment where the two briefing advisers both said they 100% DIDN'T want to answer political questions, but instead showed a vid of Kier Starmer saying advisers shouldnt be barred from answering questions.

Imho the piece was edited and segmented to portray the 100% reverse of some things that happened in the briefing.

This was followed by an update on the ‘Cummings story’
The Cummings ’update’ included the info that if Durham police had seen Cummings three weeks ago they would have told him to drive home to London.

It was really ‘informative’ to hear that three weeks ago the police didn’t see Cummings, didn’t speak to him or offer him advice on his travel arrangement, but would have IF they had seen him three weeks ago. :)

Polyester

Old-Salt
I think he feels he is far to posh to acually speak with us and can only cope by speaking down to us.
An obsolete Victorian affectation that some Working Class 'Johnny Jump Ups' like to present.
Interesting. That would be a shame if that’s the case.