The media and Covid-19: making a bad situation worse

Slime

LE
Good news about Emily Maitlis :)

Maybe the Beeb had a tsunami of complaints rather than the usual flood :)

Slime

LE
From Sp!ked online:

How the media lost the plot
An anonymous insider on why ‘gotcha’ journalism is failing in the age of coronavirus.

A silly thing in that article imho was describing as LK as one of the best journalists.............She is simply vacuous and rubbish compared to another Beeb Journalist like John Pienaar.

But Pienaar has been out of favour since the press turned from reporting Brexit to thinking they ‘made’ the news and were the stars of the show.

Last edited:
From Sp!ked online:

An anonymous insider on why ‘gotcha’ journalism is failing in the age of coronavirus.

Interesting brief analysis of the failings of the media in the Cummings rose garden interview. But tucked away in the weeds was a criticism of 20th Century journalism; the author did the latter an injustice. Much of 20th Century journalism - like all journalism - could be poo-pooed. But it could also involve a much fairer treatment of issues, with fairness and accuracy being of vital importance, than the current way of doing business.

Yes, move with the times, but never forget that the reporter's job is to report and not become the story. I hope that the older-style journalism still exists at local and regional level. However, as trainee journalists start their careers they are faced with an appalling travesty of journalism at MSM level as an example of how they should behave.

The National Council for the Training of Journalists used to have exacting standards to which young reporters should aspire; does it still do so? Or is it simply a lost cause which has in effect been superseded by new technology and the social media explosion?

Seadog

ADC
I read most of that twitter column and reaffirmed my intention to never subscribe to a medium in which 95% of the content consists of the ravings of deluded, deranged, drunk and probably dangerous cretins.

Seriously. Why would anyone at the top of the bell-curve or beyond have anything to do with it? The only answer I can find is that they wish to influence those on the left of the curve, and probably in a dangerous direction.
There is an established thread on ARRSE addressing Social Media the Toxic Bubble or suchlike.

philc

LE
Courtesy of Guido ...Sunday Mirror has been reported to IPSO for Fake News ... the circulation of the Guardian seems to be taking a bit of a hit ...

.... does The Guardian have a viable future as a print Newspaper ? Perhaps it is in its death throws and spewing bile for its last few months before disappearing up ....

... linky ... IPSO Receives Multiple Complaints - Guido Fawkes
With regards to Guardian circulation, that so many Hospitals, council's and educational facilities take it as its the main tool for recruitment thats your lower circulation, I would love that it disappeared up its own arse however once this is over I can see the numbers going back up.

As to why all these organisations feel to advertise in it is another matter.

With regards to Guardian circulation, that so many Hospitals, council's and educational facilities take it as its the main tool for recruitment thats your lower circulation, I would love that it disappeared up its own arse however once this is over I can see the numbers going back up.

As to why all these organisations feel to advertise in it is another matter.
Perhaps and also I did Post something earlier my Post #1852 in which The Guardian was making noises about the future of the Press ... detail below ...

.. and on speculation .... a snippet from an article in The Guardian in which concern is being expressed for the future of the " News Industry " predicting up to one third job losses and suggesting readers / Government provide financial aid to protect public interest news ...

Predictions about the financial impact of the pandemic on the British news industry are dire, prompting news outlets to ask readers for direct financial support. Enders Analysis is predicting up to a third of frontline journalism jobs could be lost in the forthcoming recession, prompting calls for the government to step in and provide funding to the industry if it wants to protect public interest news.
... linky ... British news outlets 'could fail due to coronavirus ad-blocking'

... so in the style of the Guardian tax payers could be paying for outlets such as it to continue in existence ... we really do live in interesting times .

FFS! How many different ways can Adam Bolton ask the same question to try and get the answer he wants?

R0B

War Hero
Not sure if this has been mentioned yet:

It looks like Alastair Campbell may have made a small mistake judging what 2m is. But it's okay, if he was a political advisor he would apparently have offered to resign. A few days ago he was on Sky offering his uncharitable views on how to deal with Boris and Dominic.

I wonder if this is why there was only one question last night about Dominic Cummings.

Good news about Emily Maitlis :)

Maybe the Beeb had a tsunami of complaints rather than the usual flood :)
Good news indeed for for Ms Maitlis. Apparently she specifically asked for a night off and the BBC were able to grant her request.

Saves all that unpleasantness of having to apply disciplinary sanctions.

philc

LE
Last Word Guy's wet dream pops out a corker:

Boris is bunging backhanders to the Daily Mail.

Who knew?
I vaguely knew this woman when she was on the Telegraph, she was on the Travel Section as I recall, as the gopher, somewhere she should of stayed it seems.

FFS! How many different ways can Adam Bolton ask the same question to try and get the answer he wants?
I though there was a saying about if you tell a lie often enough people accept it as the truth? Perhaps if he keeps asking he'll get some poor sod to give him the answer he wants just to shut him up.

"Are we there yet"?
"No"
"Are we there yet"?
"Yes"
"Really"?
"No"

Interesting brief analysis of the failings of the media in the Cummings rose garden interview. But tucked away in the weeds was a criticism of 20th Century journalism; the author did the latter an injustice. Much of 20th Century journalism - like all journalism - could be poo-pooed. But it could also involve a much fairer treatment of issues, with fairness and accuracy being of vital importance, than the current way of doing business.

Yes, move with the times, but never forget that the reporter's job is to report and not become the story. I hope that the older-style journalism still exists at local and regional level. However, as trainee journalists start their careers they are faced with an appalling travesty of journalism at MSM level as an example of how they should behave.

The National Council for the Training of Journalists used to have exacting standards to which young reporters should aspire; does it still do so? Or is it simply a lost cause which has in effect been superseded by new technology and the social media explosion?
I read that and agree - I nodded all along until the end - there were some cracking impartial, smart and intelligent journalists - now, there aren't any that are the figureheads of the outlets they claim to represent.

The only one I have the slightest respect for on a major channel is Ian King on Sky - he happens to be on when I have lunch and he is an oasis of clarity in a sea of murky soup. He has real experts on and asks decent questions that give you a sense of the environment the expert works in.

Shame he's not where the focus lies.

Problem with Journalism today is that they don't expose and own the story anymore - when Joe Public publishes 'news' live on twitter, the established press are always playing catch up and the only way to score is to go for the jugular and get whoever to admit to being a peado sleeping with underage dolphins.

In the old days, four nationals could have four breaking news front pages that were different - it took time to work up the story and get the facts before printing - that ship has well and truly sailed.

As someone far smarter than I coined, 'we are now in the post-truth age'.

Latest Threads