The media and Covid-19: making a bad situation worse

I'm not sure if Peston is delusional, or just stupid. I wondered what the Twittersphere might have made of it, so I had a Google ...and found this from the man himself:

https://twitter.com/Peston/status/1265322324997410816

PESTON: ...I honestly don't understand why if - like Cummings and Mary Wakefield - he and his spouse were both ill, he had greater access to childcare than they did. It all remains very confusing

My favourite reply:

Screenshot_2020-05-26 Robert Peston on Twitter As I just mentioned at the Downing St press con...png

Slime

LE
I'm not sure if Peston is delusional, or just stupid. I wondered what the Twittersphere might have made of it, so I had a Google ...and found this from the man himself:

PESTON: ...I honestly don't understand why if - like Cummings and Mary Wakefield - he and his spouse were both ill, he had greater access to childcare than they did. It all remains very confusing

My favourite reply:

View attachment 476874
I really think Downing Street should contact Peston, show him his own words used there, and then point out that his own words are why he is not intelligent enough to be featured in future briefings :)

Seadog

ADC

My favourite reply:

View attachment 476874
I sense that Peston’s Twitter thread is not going the way he’d like it.
Good, good.

Slime

LE

My favourite reply:

View attachment 476874
I noticed that some of the replies supporting Peston were recommending Cummings asked friends or relatives to go against lockdown AND self isolation rules in order that cummings didn't have to.............
Ergo, they were recommending breaking the rules as a solution to breaking the rules.

Cummings hatchet job on Newsnight currently, headed up by Emily Mattis who has a clear agenda. One of the talking heads, insisting on Cummings resignation is that arch hypocrite, Ian Blackford, speaking from his own bolt hole on the Isle of Skye. Where is the inquisition on his flight to the North? :x

Has anyone asked how soon after Blackford arrived on Skye did the local care home start having problems? Just saying.

I really think Downing Street should contact Peston, show him his own words used there, and then point out that his own words are why he is not intelligent enough to be featured in future briefings :)
Or even just replay his question and ask WHY he feels the NEED to enunciate particular WORDS in A sentence?

Just imagine getting her in the sack, then gently whispering in her ear...................

Boris Johnson says you are fat and lazy............

she’d go into a rage and ride you senseless :)
Nah. "Setting the video"* and then calling her Beth. That would be a ride....

* You have to be of a certain age.....

My favourite reply:

View attachment 476874
I read most of that twitter column and reaffirmed my intention to never subscribe to a medium in which 95% of the content consists of the ravings of deluded, deranged, drunk and probably dangerous cretins.

Seriously. Why would anyone at the top of the bell-curve or beyond have anything to do with it? The only answer I can find is that they wish to influence those on the left of the curve, and probably in a dangerous direction.

I've just watched that (twice). If only he and the rest of them had shown some of those balls during the past ten weeks.
Sadly I, and I have little doubt many others have been saying much the same, about growing a set, and to stamp down on disingenuous news media, particularly rolling 24 hour news which has evolved towards trying to make news 'with stupid gotcha questions' rather than ask relevant question in the correct context or just report only the facts.

This is not of course a new issue, but over the last decade the weak political class of all stripes, and having very little in the way of a solid political ideology, then seem to think that trying to either sugar coat issues, deflect rather than tell some hard truths when needed or use an issue for political advantage, rather than to solve things. Will make them more electable.

This is I believe a consequence of the infection of 'political correctness' into every aspects of society together with a media that, embraces and encourages discussion and discourse being dumbed down, as much as possible. Of course this is a broad simplification, but no less valid for that.

This has made the news media, think that 'they, their words and opinions are the more important than the voting public or elected politicians.' Still when all said and done, journalism has mostly always been the gutter press, and suits those of little ability and driven narcissistic nature.

Else-wise they would starve having no employable worthwhile skills, outside of rabble rousing. I believe is is becoming more noticeable that they seem to increasingly enjoy whipping up a mob on a 'pitchforks and torches' rally. Of course only when the story suits, their agenda or bias regardless of the obvious and open hypocrisy, is also reflection on their lack of both ethics and a morale compass.

edit spelling diction

I read most of that twitter column and reaffirmed my intention to never subscribe to a medium in which 95% of the content consists of the ravings of deluded, deranged, drunk and probably dangerous cretins.

Seriously. Why would anyone at the top of the bell-curve or beyond have anything to do with it? The only answer I can find is that they wish to influence those on the left of the curve, and probably in a dangerous direction.

I was introduced to Twitter not long after it had started, by my (much younger) girlfriend. I think I managed about a week of trying to fit-in by posting random events in my life as they happened. Even back then it was far too vacuous to seem like a valid use of one’s time. About the only thing I can agree about with David “doo doo doo” Cameron, is that (and I paraphrase, slightly) ‘Too many Twitters make you a Twat.’

a consequence of the infection of 'political correctness' into every aspects of society together with a media that, embraces and encourages discussion and discourse being dumbed down, as much as possible. Of course this is a broad simplification, but no less valid for that.
And the response has been the realisation among our political and other 'leaders' - from every state-sponsored organisation there is - is that any response to a question from the press will be manipulated to show an 'uncaring' heart. The public, conditioned from many years of Facebook, twitter and every left-leaning commercial outlet, seem to follow the lead. Any statement which tells the 'Apologise And Resign' reporter to do one is uncaring and therefor a vote-loser.

I say 'seem', but of course the actual response may vary from that shown in those media; the result of the last General Election was a vast surprise to the Press. Whenever I see a headline which claims to reflect The Public's Opinion, I read further down to discover that it probably doesn't at all.

In this case, that 'Momentum' poll (however it may have been conducted) has probably been a knife in the guts to many. It hasn't been reported on in the main outlets, though.

I was introduced to Twitter not long after it had started, by my (much younger) girlfriend. I think I managed about a week of trying to fit-in by posting random events in my life as they happened. Even back then it was far too vacuous to seem like a valid use of one’s time. About the only thing I can agree about with David “doo doo doo” Cameron, is that (and I paraphrase, slightly) ‘Too many Twitters make you a Twat.’
I investigated it during my time working as a 'first response' risk consultant on the end of a line in London, when called upon to advise clients when horrible things happened to them in foreign parts, and thought it might be useful to hear what locals were saying about those things in real time (cases were more usually people who'd lost their passport/money/virginity in Caracas or wherever, or people in hotel rooms in Mumbai wanting to know what to do as there was a bad chap with a gun in the corridor).

It was so unreliable, and frequently entirely misleading or plain wrong, that I ditched it. I've never seen any reason to go back, other than for a belly laugh.

Latest Threads