The media and Covid-19: making a bad situation worse

A point Dan Hodges has just made on BBC1, ridiculing Sonia Sodha sp?Observer? for effectively accusing Cummings of wanting to kill NHS workers. She and BBC Rita Chakrabati sp? tried to interrupt but he persevered. Expect him to be the next target. Just happened, so 16:08 17:08'ish if you want to hunt it dow
Screeching Guardian writer wants Tory spad burned at stake. Not news. I hope she screeched as loudly when Corbyn's brother wandered the byways shouting at the crows, but I doubt if she did.

Grownup_Rafbrat

LE
Book Reviewer
Dominic Cummings is not a member of the government. He's not an MP, a politician or a Civil Servant. To the best of my knowledge, according to my google-fu, he's not even a member of the Conservative Party. He's just being employed by BoJo as a special adviser.
And that is why they hate him.

Grownup_Rafbrat

LE
Book Reviewer
Actually, I'm a Tory (and Johnson) supporter, and I hate him too.
I have never met him, but I quite like the ways he stirs up the adminisphere and makes the lefty bullies cry, so I believe he should be allowed to stay. If he worked for a Bank or was a hairdresser or the brother of a failed Labour leader, no one would be saying anything. It's all whipped up by w@nkwrs imho.

Stumpy4154

LE
Book Reviewer
If he is the genius many make him out to be, why on earth did he present the rabid press with an open goal like this? The Cummings issue is the last thing the Government needs at this time.
Exactly! He has to have known he’d have had a massive target on his back because of all those he’d pissed off one way or another (Grauniad/DailyMirror/Momentum/Remainers/etc) so he should have played the straight man and said “We’ll have to tough this out until we can’t. We can’t be seen to be breaking/stretching the rules to suit.” the same as most in his position would have had to do.

I have never met him, but I quite like the ways he stirs up the adminisphere and makes the lefty bullies cry, so I believe he should be allowed to stay. If he worked for a Bank or was a hairdresser or the brother of a failed Labour leader, no one would be saying anything. It's all whipped up by w@nkwrs imho.
You mean like all the bank clerks and hairdressers who influence and project government policy?

Oyibo

LE
Exactly! He has to have known he’d have had a massive target on his back because of all those he’d pissed off one way or another (Grauniad/DailyMirror/Momentum/Remainers/etc) so he should have played the straight man and said “We’ll have to tough this out until we can’t. We can’t be seen to be breaking/stretching the rules to suit.” the same as most in his position would have had to do.
I don't think that's the way he rolls - He's more 'You are not the arbitrators of the polity' when it comes to the press.

You mean like all the bank clerks and hairdressers who influence and project government policy?
To dismiss an employee you have to have grounds, gross misconduct, violence to co worker or customers, selling drugs on site, race abusive comments otherwise go through procedures or you finish up with Unions reps and bus load of lawyers and court case for unfair dismissal. He is not civil servant, HM Forces or Police Officer (one or two here seem to have issues with police code of conduct and procedures) so he wont go - tuff, at least he did not produce a blood soaked dodgey dossier, no one went for that ?

Stumpy4154

LE
Book Reviewer
I don't think that's the way he rolls - He's more 'You are not the arbitrators of the polity' when it comes to the press.
True, but even he should have seen how it would look if it got into the media and played it that way; I’m sure as shit he would have made it stick like, well, shit if it was someone from the opposition in the same situation.
I can understand his potential thought process regarding childcare, and I can’t rule out doing the same, but somebody as media savvy as Dom should have seen the shitstorm that would kick off for him doing what he did.

Oyibo

LE
True, but even he should have seen how it would look if it got into the media and played it that way; I’m sure as shit he would have made it stick like, well, shit if it was someone from the opposition in the same situation.
I can understand his potential thought process regarding childcare, and I can’t rule out doing the same, but somebody as media savvy as Dom should have seen the shitstorm that would kick off for him doing what he did.
Fair point, but I think that comes back to his 'ideology' of the press not being the rulers - he has, IMO, been implementing a 'bonfire of the media vanities'.

The media do not like it one bit and have been, and are, reacting accordingly.

Fair point, but I think that comes back to his 'ideology' of the press not being the rulers - he has, IMO, been implementing a 'bonfire of the media vanities'.

Denying Beeb access to Ministers left them with no-one to interrupt and talk over.

True, and it shows what happens when you don't tell anyone where you're going or what you're doing, in the hope that it won't come out or that you'll be able to effectively cover it up.

Lessons from History, Lesson One: Get your Excuses In First. Cummings, of all people should have known that, and told the Daily Mirror/Guardian what he was doing and why, and that the PM had told him: "Go; with all Speed, Go!" Silly shit failed.

Stumpy4154

LE
Book Reviewer

Don’t get me wrong, what he’s done with regard Ministers, the MSM and other groups and the CS is, I think, great. It’s been a bloody long time “Cumming”, so to speak but, for someone as media savvy as Dominic is, he should have played it safe and said, “No, we’ll have to tough it out because those twats who don’t like being told how it is will gang-****/crucify me if I do what any normal parent would do. “

Dalef65

Old-Salt
BBC are now reporting that Cummings broke lockdown guidelines on more than one occasion. Just appeared on the website.

If true I can't see how he wriggles out of it. I predict he'll be gone by Monday morning.

Oyibo

LE
Don’t get me wrong, what he’s done with regard Ministers, the MSM and other groups and the CS is, I think, great. It’s been a bloody long time “Cumming”, so to speak but, for someone as media savvy as Dominic is, he should have played it safe and said, “No, we’ll have to tough it out because those twats who don’t like being told how it is will gang-****/crucify me if I do what any normal parent would do. “
It does raise an interesting philosophical dilemma: Do I (as Cummings):
  1. Stay in London causing, possibly, higher risk to my family but less from the media?
  2. Move to an isolated house where my family can look after my child after my partner and I have displayed symptoms, and risk the media backlash?
  3. Cut the media some slack to save my arse?
I'm rather glad that he went for 2.

Latest Threads