The media and Covid-19: making a bad situation worse

He's an evil wizard and personally gobbed on every door handle from Westminster to Durham, probably for a bet with Donald Trump. Must be true, the media said it was.

What a bunch of hysterical pant wetting.

Funny how HMGs evil plan to murder every single teacher in the country with Covid that was the only story in town two days ago is now on page 19 as soon as the sharks smell blood at No 10.

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Journalists are ‘essential workers’ there is one on screen right now, walking along a beach.........perhaps he lives on the beach ;)
Journos are essential workers in order to keep us reliably informed.

Unfortunately these "essential workers" seem to think that the essential bit is their personal ego.

Truxx

LE
A little unfair, as not 'skating over' public perception would have entailed a further 90 pages of the analysis of polls, news and opinion pieces, which are mostly irrelevant, really. You're right about COBRA and its workings, which was set up in the 70s. I thought it a fairly even-handed piece on the history. (https://www.iiss.org/-/media/iiss/h...nejuly/survival---strategy-for-a-pandemic.pdf)

Edit: On Brexit, the whining sneery tone of those who commented on it in connection with this subject (where's the connection?) only really demonstrates unhealthy obsession. Very 'Guardian'.
You do not need 90 pages to summarise the public reaction to lock down as heading for the lakes and wales in their thousands and stripping supermarkets of bog paper.

Mind you LF probably would. And a few more pages besides.

Truxx

LE
I got a reply stating that they don't reply to individual emails. If they deem it required, they'll publish something centrally.

I mentioned anti-Govt agenda so I doubt they'll publish a damn thing.
You got an individual reply saying that they did not reply to individual emails?

As Sir Terry would say, is it me?

Truxx

LE
It's a v light joke.

Freedman's given a highly caveated overview, not unsympathetic to the government, to explain why the government acted as it did.

This:

Most importantly for the government, it met its main target, which was to flatten the curve before the health service was overwhelmed.

Is actually quoted as being:

So the Tun Wells comment is on target. Yes Freedman's COBRA comment is wrong, Foot and Mouth is at the forefront on his thinking possibly because of attendance by the PM and precedent for not attending meetings, dunno.
Methinks he is lining himself up to "help" when the moment comes....

Slime

LE
He's an evil wizard and personally gobbed on every door handle from Westminster to Durham, probably for a bet with Donald Trump. Must be true, the media said it was.

Funny how HMGs evil plan to murder every single teacher in the country with Covid that was the only story in town two days ago is now on page 19 as soon as the sharks smell blood at No 10.
I have been enjoying the teacher story on the Beeb though :)

My two favourites so far are:

‘1000 schools won’t return on 1st of June showing that the governments plan was too soon‘.

And, from Radio 5 ‘The government is facing a growing revolt from local authorities’.

The headlines were interesting in that ‘schools’ actually means schools and nurseries, and only mentioned the 1000 that wont open as early as 1st of June. No mention of the over 23,000 that will.

The growing revolt referred to three left wing councils, and the number hadn’t changed and had always been three so wasn’t growing :)

It's not about the rules, breaking the rules, the spirit of the rules or misinterpretation of the rules, deliberately or otherwise.

It's about getting rid of a man the press love to hate. And putting one over on the Prime Minister.

Look on the bright side. At least it's got rid of screensful of whingeing teachers and parents.

Imho those cameramen who doorstepped Dominic this morning should all be fired, for gathering in a group of more than two with persons not from their own household. And fined for making unnecessary journeys.

See? One rule for them, another for us. Just a different them and us.
Would you mind awfully keeping your innate observances of accuracy, common sense, and truth saying plus, worst of all, your even handed approaches to yourself? There must be a lemon drizzle cake needs doing?
They don't like it up em Miss. ;)

( Taxi waiting....)

Grownup_Rafbrat

LE
Book Reviewer
Would you mind awfully keeping your innate observances of accuracy, common sense, and truth saying plus, worst of all, your even handed approaches to yourself? There must be a lemon drizzle cake needs doing?
They don't like it up em Miss. ;)

( Taxi waiting....)
Could I nominate this for post of the year?

Just off to bake the bread that's been proving all day, make a chocolate cake and cook the dinner. Once I get the fence paint off my hands ...

Truxx

LE

Indeed.

This is known as "doing a Sixsmith"

2 sets of rules as always. How can the Governmebt expect the populace to follow the rules if they dont?
Dominic Cummings is not a member of the government. He's not an MP, a politician or a Civil Servant. To the best of my knowledge, according to my google-fu, he's not even a member of the Conservative Party. He's just being employed by BoJo as a special adviser.

Truxx

LE
Dominic Cummings is not a member of the government. He's not an MP, a politician or a Civil Servant. To the best of my knowledge, according to my google-fu, he's not even a member of the Conservative Party. He's just being employed by BoJo as a special adviser.
Plus he appears to have acted within the letter of the guidance, in the very early days, so this is going nowhere.

Slime

LE
For those still watching Rita on the Beeb I hope you are now paying more attention.

You should note that from the time after the briefing she presents the debrief segment while sat behind a desk, but then from 5:30 she presents standing up in the open............in the ‘new and trendy’ informal beeb style.

Same presenter, same stories, follow on time slot but needing to switch from sitting to standing :)

Slime

LE
Plus he appears to have acted within the letter of the guidance, in the very early days, so this is going nowhere.
Maybe he should have just stayed at home.
That way the media could be demanding he is sacked for neglecting his child ;)

#Evil tory child neglecters
#Evil tory good child parenters
#Evil tories no matter what they do :)

I've got fed up with the agenda the journos are pursuing so that once the minister and the scientific advisors have given the briefing I now switch off. It's time to end questions from the journalists as they now add nothing in the way of informing the public on what is happening re Covid, which was the point of these briefings, their questions have now become political and more and more anti-government.

Could I nominate this for post of the year?

Just off to bake the bread that's been proving all day, make a chocolate cake and cook the dinner. Once I get the fence paint off my hands ...
I knew it!:p
Hope hubby is reasonably comfortable.
Chocolate fixes most things.;)

I've got fed up with the agenda the journos are pursuing so that once the minister and the scientific advisors have given the briefing I now switch off. It's time to end questions from the journalists as they now add nothing in the way of informing the public on what is happening re Covid, which was the point of these briefings, their questions have now become political and more and more anti-government.
I many ways I am having flashbacks to my childhood, when Ted Heath, 'whom while, I think is one of the worst prime Ministers we have had', did make a statement prior to the 1974 General Election, that could be made by many in the current Government, equally today adding only the inclusion of an activist media.

Heath's response in February 1974 was to call a general election, urging the voters to decide whether it was the government or the unions which ran Britain.

I hold no brief for Cummings but have you ever heard so much sanctimonious claptrap, all from people unable to say what they would have done in his circumstances? When asked repeatedly for an answer on Radio 4’s Today programme this morning, an SNP politician could only splutter, “I wouldn’t have done that.”

When asked by a member of the public about the potential loophole, entry via the RoI, in the 14-day quarantine regulations, Shapps said the RoI has the same regulation in place for people entering.
Is this actually the case?

Dalef65

Old-Salt
When asked by a member of the public about the potential loophole, entry via the RoI, in the 14-day quarantine regulations, Shapps said the RoI has the same regulation in place for people entering.
Is this actually the case?
As far as I know, the Republic has quarantine if you are entering the country to stay , but no quarantine if you are travelling onwards.

For those still watching Rita on the Beeb I hope you are now paying more attention.

You should note that from the time after the briefing she presents the debrief segment while sat behind a desk, but then from 5:30 she presents standing up in the open............in the ‘new and trendy’ informal beeb style.

Same presenter, same stories, follow on time slot but needing to switch from sitting to standing :)
Another feckin overpaid autocue reader.

Latest Threads