The media and Covid-19: making a bad situation worse

Best public question yet from Joe Public - returnees breaking journey in RoI to avoid quarantine.

Now the red press prodding away (to no effect) on Cummings

Stumpy4154

LE
Book Reviewer
Shapps squirming uncomfortably about Dominic Cummings’s journey to Durham in breach of Government lockdown guidance.
I quite like the evil genius that is Dominic Cummings but he should have followed what rules or guidance he may well have been party to drawing up. He should fall on his sword and show example.

Helm

MIA
Book Reviewer
Shapps squirming uncomfortably about Dominic Cummings’s journey to Durham in breach of Government lockdown guidance.
I quite like the evil genius that is Dominic Cummings but he should have followed what rules or guidance he may well have been party to drawing up. He should fall on his sword and show example.
He has, he told the media to F off, more or less, a pretty good example I'd say.

If he is the genius many make him out to be, why on earth did he present the rabid press with an open goal like this? The Cummings issue is the last thing the Government needs at this time.

2 sets of rules as always. How can the Governmebt expect the populace to follow the rules if they dont?

If he is the genius many make him out to be, why on earth did he present the rabid press with an open goal like this? The Cummings issue is the last thing the Government needs at this time.
Indeed; why his antenna were not twitching at '11' is beyond me. It is possible that he told anyone and everyone in the Cabinet Office that he was about to hop into the Prius and head North. Either that or he believed it is easier to seek forgiveness than ask permission.

The idiot.

Last edited:

Helm

MIA
Book Reviewer
2 sets of rules as always. How can the Governmebt expect the populace to follow the rules if they dont?
He followed the rules if what he said is true, he also had no action taken by the police at the time this crime against humanity allegedly took place.

Slime

LE
I’m currently watching the BBC. There is a journalist who has chosen to travel to a BBC studio to present a piece on the wrong doings of Cumming’s decision to travel from his own home.

I wonder why the journo didnt just stay at home and do his piece from there?

I wonder if the journo, just like cummings is an essential worker and is free to travel.

Well done Dom, the Mrs would like to visit her mate up in the North East for a few weeks.
I wouldn't be surprised if she feels a bit ill on Monday, if she does, a trip up in will be OK, as she will be safeguarding me as I am a cancer patient. Two weeks isolation, then back home.
Them's the new rules !

Slime

LE
I missed the briefing, what exactly is Cummings supposed to have done?

I’ve heard he drove to provide care for a child. if that is correct there has never been any set distance given as part of the giving care or medication rule.

Slime

LE
Well done Dom, the Mrs would like to visit her mate up in the North East for a few weeks.
I wouldn't be surprised if she feels a bit ill on Monday, if she does, a trip up in will be OK, as she will be safeguarding me as I am a cancer patient. Two weeks isolation, then back home.
Them's the new rules !
Travel to provide care or medication has always been allowed from day one.

Why doesn't he just get fined the going rate instead of losing his job?

Does a member of Joe Public lose his job for a similar offence?

You may think he is in Governent and therefore is supposed to set a higher standard but it's it's not like he spat in the eye of a copper and got away scot free.

I honestly fail to appreciate the hysteria.

Why doesn't he just get fined the going rate instead of losing his job?

Does a member of Joe Public lose his job for a similar offence?

You may think he is in Governent and therefore is supposed to set a higher standard but it's it's not like he spat in the eye of a copper and got away scot free.

I honestly fail to appreciate the hysteria.
Shouldn't even get fined, it was a matter of family welfare.

Grownup_Rafbrat

LE
Book Reviewer
It's not about the rules, breaking the rules, the spirit of the rules or misinterpretation of the rules, deliberately or otherwise.

It's about getting rid of a man the press love to hate. And putting one over on the Prime Minister.

Look on the bright side. At least it's got rid of screensful of whingeing teachers and parents.

Imho those cameramen who doorstepped Dominic this morning should all be fired, for gathering in a group of more than two with persons not from their own household. And fined for making unnecessary journeys.

See? One rule for them, another for us. Just a different them and us.

It's not about the rules, breaking the rules, the spirit of the rules or misinterpretation of the rules, deliberately or otherwise.

It's about getting rid of a man the press love to hate. And putting one over on the Prime Minister.

Look on the bright side. At least it's got rid of screensful of whingeing teachers and parents.

Imho those cameramen who doorstepped Dominic this morning should all be fired, for gathering in a group of more than two with persons not from their own household. And fined for making unnecessary journeys.

Their organisations should be shut down, just like a pub would be if it had stayed open and broke the social distancing rules.

A point Dan Hodges has just made on BBC1, ridiculing Sonia Sodha sp?Observer? for effectively accusing Cummings of wanting to kill NHS workers. She and BBC Rita Chakrabati sp? tried to interrupt but he persevered. Expect him to be the next target. Just happened, so 16:08 17:08'ish if you want to hunt it dow

Slime

LE

Journalists are ‘essential workers’ there is one on screen right now, walking along a beach.........perhaps he lives on the beach ;)

Slime

LE
A point Dan Hodges has just made on BBC1, ridiculing Sonia Sodha sp?Observer? for effectively accusing Cummings of wanting to kill NHS workers. She and BBC Rita Chakrabati sp? tried to interrupt but he persevered. Expect him to be the next target. Just happened, so 16:08 'ish if you want to hunt oit dow
hopefully 17:08.

That chap was brilliant imho

Latest Threads