The media and Covid-19: making a bad situation worse

Daily briefing today and the Sky News journo states "...can you be honest....".

Perhaps he could start by being unbiased before implying that Priti Patel is being dishonest.
"You want me to be honest, Sam? OK. I think you are an unpleasant, self-important, sneering little sh*t.

Next question. Gordon Rayner, Daily Telegraph......"

Truxx

LE
Worth a read...
Lawrie Freedman? He is like a one man Price Waterhouse. Tells you everything you were already aware of, misses great chunks of the argument then in 30 pages grinds you down to accepting his hypothesis.

In this paper he skates rather neatly over public perception, the public (lack of) appetite for constraints, the reality of the clumsy learning on the job nature of the challenge although he does somewhat grudgingly accept that the government strategic intent (flattening the curve) was successful.

He even manages to suggest that the Cabinet Office Briefing construct fell out of foot and mouth. It didn't.

So for me the same level of self aggrandisement that failed to capture my imagination back when he was lecturing in the 1980s, that time on deterrence.

Lawrie Freedman? He is like a one man Price Waterhouse. Tells you everything you were already aware of, misses great chunks of the argument then in 30 pages grinds you down to accepting his hypothesis.

In this paper he skates rather neatly over public perception, the public (lack of) appetite for constraints, the reality of the clumsy learning on the job nature of the challenge although he does somewhat grudgingly accept that the government strategic intent (flattening the curve) was successful.

He even manages to suggest that the Cabinet Office Briefing construct fell out of foot and mouth. It didn't.

So for me the same level of self aggrandisement that failed to capture my imagination back when he was lecturing in the 1980s, that time on deterrence.
You need to move to Tunbridge Wells and write letters..

You need to move to Tunbridge Wells and write letters..
That wasn't a worthy reply. Brexit politics aside, there are a few points to note.

As it appears that re-allocated Military (Now G5) frequencies set off COVID... I must admit to having COVID 76, COVID 77, COVID 78, COVID 79, COVID 80,,,,, COVID 82, COVID 83, COVID 84, COVID 85, COVID 86..... COVID 88, COVID 89, COVID 90, COVID 91, COVID 92, COVID 93, COVID 94, COVID 96, COVID 97 and COVID 98.... it's amazing I'm still alive... I just thought having balls microwaved was the worst.

I'm not sure if this belongs in the EM thread or not?

So he's had Wuhan Flu, didn't know about it and never gets ill, though did have pneumonia at the start of the year.
But obviously this cant have been it as we didn't have it until Feb and its not as though the Chinee would lie is it?
So rather than think that's odd perhaps there's some actual story here that's worthy of further investigation I'll just say I'm asymptomatic and leave it at that.

Stumpy4154

LE
Book Reviewer
So he's had Wuhan Flu, didn't know about it and never gets ill, though did have pneumonia at the start of the year.
But obviously this cant have been it as we didn't have it until Feb and its not as though the Chinee would lie is it?
So rather than think that's odd perhaps there's some actual story here that's worthy of further investigation I'll just say I'm asymptomatic and leave it at that.
The Kung-flu has got to have been around well before Christmas last year. We had several staff go sick with “flu like symptoms” early/mid December but nothing was said because it wasn’t known then. On top of that, because it’s a busy airport, we get shed loads of Chinese tourist coming through with most of them speaking to staff about their VAT refund with the staff having to look over their forms or directing them to the Customs point. But seeing as most people will get nothing more than mild symptoms if any, who can tell how many will have had it already and whether we could get back to more or less normality.

I'm not sure if this belongs in the EM thread or not?

Asymptomatic? Pah! I'm asymmetric.

The Kung-flu has got to have been around well before Christmas last year. We had several staff go sick with “flu like symptoms” early/mid December but nothing was said because it wasn’t known then. On top of that, because it’s a busy airport, we get shed loads of Chinese tourist coming through with most of them speaking to staff about their VAT refund with the staff having to look over their forms or directing them to the Customs point. But seeing as most people will get nothing more than mild symptoms if any, who can tell how many will have had it already and whether we could get back to more or less normality.
Sure I read somewhere that the French had evidence that it could be traced back as far as October.

I e-mailed the Beeb about the Dominic Cummings story being present on both the UK and World pages of their "news" website.

I don't expect a coherent reply but I let them know it seemed suspicious that the Beeb put another Govt-bashing story out there in the broadest possible way.

If I do get a reply, I'll post it here for shits and giggles.

Don't hold your breath on that. I am still waiting for my response to the ‘Director of a large NHS Trust phoning BBC Directory Enquiries for the numbers of Barbour and Burberry'.
I got a reply stating that they don't reply to individual emails. If they deem it required, they'll publish something centrally.

I mentioned anti-Govt agenda so I doubt they'll publish a damn thing.

A little unfair, as not 'skating over' public perception would have entailed a further 90 pages of the analysis of polls, news and opinion pieces, which are mostly irrelevant, really. You're right about COBRA and its workings, which was set up in the 70s. I thought it a fairly even-handed piece on the history. (https://www.iiss.org/-/media/iiss/h...nejuly/survival---strategy-for-a-pandemic.pdf)

Edit: On Brexit, the whining sneery tone of those who commented on it in connection with this subject (where's the connection?) only really demonstrates unhealthy obsession. Very 'Guardian'.

Stumpy4154

LE
Book Reviewer
Sure I read somewhere that the French had evidence that it could be traced back as far as October.
There was definitely a report that they found a case from late December after retesting samples taken then, albeit only one out of about 24/25 samples.

I got a reply stating that they don't reply to individual emails. If they deem it required, they'll publish something centrally.

I mentioned anti-Govt agenda so I doubt they'll publish a damn thing.
Strange that. @baldbof had a reply, albeit quite brief , to his email about NHS directors using the BBC as a Directory Enquiries service...

The BBC's one line reply to my complaint was that the story was withdrawn because "it didn't meet the BBC's editorial standards".

That wasn't a worthy reply. Brexit politics aside, there are a few points to note.
It's a v light joke.

Freedman's given a highly caveated overview, not unsympathetic to the government, to explain why the government acted as it did.

This:

Most importantly for the government, it met its main target, which was to flatten the curve before the health service was overwhelmed.

Is actually quoted as being:

he does somewhat grudgingly accept that the government strategic intent (flattening the curve) was successful.
So the Tun Wells comment is on target. Yes Freedman's COBRA comment is wrong, Foot and Mouth is at the forefront on his thinking possibly because of attendance by the PM and precedent for not attending meetings, dunno.

Strange that. @baldbof had a reply, albeit quite brief , to his email about NHS directors using the BBC as a Directory Enquiries service...
..and that saga continues. I told them their response was unacceptable and added reasons why I thought so. Their recent response was along the lines "We've already answered your complaint and that's it". I'm now putting it to the Executive Complaints Unit. On their complaints summary page, check out their response to a complaint about the Victoria Derbyshire Show in April 2019. Their summary comments on that complaint make it crystal clear that the BBC still do not follow their own policies.

I'm now putting it to the Executive Complaints Unit.
Just had a look at this year’s executive complaints unit handling of escalated complaints. I imagine they are paid a bonus for every complaint not upheld.

Didn’t find any mention of NHS Directors / BBC directory enquiries in the list of complaint handled, never mind in the list of escalated but largely not upheld complaints.

Eta
Found something here... BBC News, 17 April 2020 | Contact the BBC

:rofl:

Latest Threads