The Medals System

Our medal system. Not that I think we should go overboard like the septics, but I think we could do with recognising the acheivements of the troops :)

Bit of a dissapointment to find that multiple tours on Telic and other zones do not qualify for any further awards. Surely we should recognise this? Perhaps a bar on the ribbon?

Anyone any thoughts? How would you change the system?

trick400 said:
Our medal system. Not that I think we should go overboard like the septics, but I think we could do with recognising the acheivements of the troops :)

Bit of a dissapointment to find that multiple tours on Telic and other zones do not qualify for any further awards. Surely we should recognise this? Perhaps a bar on the ribbon?

Anyone any thoughts? How would you change the system?
Just as a matter of interest, what do you think of the medal system for the Great War and WW11? Those wars of course were World Wars, culminating in millions of deaths. In the main, I think that campaign medals were Stars. So, after fighting all over the world, your tally of medals could be very slim and a poor reflection of service.

Just a thought :?

You do get recognition for other service. The ACSM takes this into account and it does have a bar awarded to denote another time period award!

all NI, Iraq, Afghan and air ops tours count towards this medal and in my opinion it is a good idea. Seeing someone with that ribbon is an achievment to say the least!

Am I right in thinking that the Afghanstan medal has a rosset and bars. Or did I imagine being told that???

I think that people should be reconised esp. as it is such a contraversial situation in this country. I have actually witnessed a soldier being spat on over IRAQ.

numerals on the medals would be good, know quite a few blokes on thier 3rd tour of iraq but only have the one medal. would be good to recognise the effort of being away all this time.

some people have done bosnia more than six times. im sure there are people who have done it more than that too.

i heard that a rumour that numerals were taken off because it showed poor operational cycles.

What a lot of gong-hunting moaning crap! I don't think I've ever heard of anyone wanting extra bars for the umteen tours in NI in the good old days when they were needing them, not feeding them like today! If todays lot had fought in a proper war like the cold war, then they would know what fighting was all about and be in need of a medal...

talking of medals any possibility of getting a real life oxygen thief medal block for him, so people who arent on the internet can avoid him too

Numerals are gay simple as

Bars for extra tours ? No, once you go down that route you will get guys asking for different medals etc for diferent jobs as an Infanteer does X more fighting that a slop jockey. WWII had stars for campaigns as it was a workld war, we do have medals for campaigns except they are for limted areas (Iraq, 'Stan etc)

If you ask me I feel that they have the right balance, the OSM gives the flexibility to have a medal per hostile area, in days gone by it was one medal and lots of clasps, . Don't forget that OSM's can have clasps, not for numerous tours but for recognised areas within the tour that are deemed more dangerous, for example, for the Helmand Province they might decide that it warrents an Afgan OSM but with Helmand Clasp, not saying they will, just suggesting it could

GSM 1918-62
The GSM was introduced in Army Order No. 4 dated 19 January 1923. This medal served as the Army and RAF equivalent of the NGS. The GSM was awarded for service in various parts of the world, except in India and East, West and Africa.

The medal is worn with a purple-coloured ribbon with one green stripe. After 11 August 1920, if the recipient was awarded a MID, then they were entitled to wear an oak leaf emblem on the medal's ribbon.

This medal has a total of 16 clasps which commemorate the various actions.

http://www.stephen-stratford.co.uk/gsm_1918_62.htm

GSM 1962

The General Service Medal 1962 (GSM 1962) was introduced by Ministry of Defence Order No. 61 dated 6 October 1964. It was decided that the three services (Royal Navy, Army and Royal Air Force) would have the one identical general service medal, with the appropriate clasp issued to the recipient.

This medal has a total of 8 clasps.
http://www.stephen-stratford.co.uk/gsm_1962.htm

I suppose what I was getting at is, that as you will see, from the above, during my time in the army medals were scarce and two GSM’s covered some considerable service and varied campaigns.

I’m all for the medal system of today. Service personal deserve their medals. It is in fact the only way the Government shows any form of appreciation for service given. Napoleon realised this from the onset. Great Britain took considerably longer to appreciate the need for recognition!

Bars, numerals, what a steaming pile of shite!, as has been previously stated there is an award for multiple tours, the ACSM, the only problem i have is that UN/Nato tours don't count towards it, people say they're not as tough but i know guys who did bos (in the early days) and it was no picnic!.

In conclusion, it is hard work to get medals in H.M forces a fact of which we should be proud! I certainly don't wana look like some septic tank!, I know i've earnt my gongs (<-- except my arrse one, no idea what thats for, lol) as will anyone who looks at a british soldier on parade

The problem with medals is that the people who make the decisions about them seem to have little expertise on what is a quasi-science. A system that was both logical and economic has been interfered with and now there are inconsistencies and much confusion.

Tour numerals are gay. Period! They're a Johnny Foreign idea and there's far too much of that stuff being banded about. Subsequent dated tour clasps are an option (for the Iraq Medal at least) but would be a nightmare to administer. Year clasps might solve this, but they would then be incompatible (non-uniform in format) with the initial issued clasp (for the Iraq Medal) with its specified time frame.

Date clasps for the OSM (Afghanistan) are also out, as they fcuked this option up by instituting an actual theatre clasp, so subsequent dated clasps would not be the logical step. The whole business of clasps for the OSM was not thought through properly - with a rosette being initially utilised as an operational distinction on the Sierra Leone issue - not unlike the South Atlantic Medal's 'quick fix' rosette in lieu of an actual clasp (which was initially the idea).

Therefore, one would've thought that the logical thing to do would be to (again) utilise a rosette on the Afghanistan issue to denote Zone 1 operations. No. Some cnut had the idea of a clasp - which sort of made the whole different ribbons idea null & void. The same can be said with the Congo (DROC) OSM. As this particular medal was not issued without the clasp, why the need for one? After all it has its own distinct ribbon? Why the further distinction?

The OSM was a missed opportunity for a new GSM (there have been several - beginning in 1848). Now we have a medal with both different ribbons, rosettes and bloody clasps. It's a mess - and a needless one had precedent been recognised (and understood properly).

Likewise, the Iraq Reconstruction Service Medal (Who thought that up?) was a missed opportunity for the long awaited 'Humanitarian Service Medal'. Such a medal would - in one fell swoop - negate the need for the tacky EU/NATO/UN pap that sully the system. A humanitarian or non-warlike operational award - with theatre clasps - is the logical step forward (like the Kiwis have). Think it'll happen? Don't hold you breath.

The ACSM has its shortfalls too. Four or five tours? No cigar. Now OP Banner has finished, can you see anyone doing six tours in the pit to qualify for it before PVRing? They deserve it if they do - a very underrated medal the ACSM.

BuckFelize said:
The ACSM has its shortfalls too. Four or five tours? No cigar. Now OP Banner has finished, can you see anyone doing six tours in the pit to qualify for it before PVRing? They deserve it if they do - a very underrated medal the ACSM.
Take a look at the UDR/R. Irish (HSPT). 1080 duties rquired for the medal (ACSM).

Recognised Duties were capped at 10 per month for a long period. That meant that you would have to serve for 9 years in NI to qualify for the medal! Considering that the soldier was a target EVERY day, not just when on duty, I thought that the medal requirement was a bit harsh.

Not really an issue anymore though, but that's a different topic...

Capt_Cuddlebunny said:
What a lot of gong-hunting moaning crap! I don't think I've ever heard of anyone wanting extra bars for the umteen tours in NI in the good old days when they were needing them, not feeding them like today! If todays lot had fought in a proper war like the cold war, then they would know what fighting was all about and be in need of a medal...

What a crock of dog wannk!! Please enlighten us all as to what "fighting in a proper war" was like then!! Can't exactly remember what campaigns that we fought in the "Cold War", but I'm sure that the twice weekly piss-up in BAOR must have been Hell!!! Apart from a few minor infractions somewhere, mostly fought by Special Forces, the only campaign Britain fought that was worthy of, as you so succintly put it, "needing them not feeding them" was Op Corporate, the re-taking of the Falklands.
Have a good long look at how many Medals a 5 year served soldier today wears compared with his counterpart of 20 years ago ,who served during the Cold war.
NI?? Not the same, not by a long way.
You , sir, are a CNUT and should post an apology to those lads and lasses
serving, and tragically, dying in those theatres almost daily now. :x :evil:

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Shamus Current Affairs, News and Analysis 17
Gas Gas Gas Current Affairs, News and Analysis 32
I The Intelligence Cell 3