The Meaning of American Pie

Discussion in 'Films, Music and All Things Artsy' started by Jimmy_Kranke, Jan 31, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I have searched ARRSE...couldn't find it...so here goes.

This excellent video appeared on my regimental site. Its for those of us of a "certain" age, and answers that eternal question......What the Fcuk is American Pie all about. I know about the Buddy Holly link, but what about the rest of it?

If your into music trivia......click the link below and enjoy:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=Ycgegp0KdE4

2. Maybe it means hairy pie.

3. wasn't it about Marylin Monroe or someone?

4. The author on the site seems to get the words wrong (Broning for Broncing) or Bronco, which is a bit of an Americanism for an untamed mustang. In that context the paragraph makes sense.

So if you read the words it quite clearly sets a picture of youthful indiscretion in that paragraph stopped by the reality of either Holly's death, or the change that was the 50's to the 60's.

I think the author of that website is off on his analysis at time. He tried too hard to tie it to music only.

The song American Pie, to me, is about the death of Kennedy, Vietnam, and the general "good times" of the 50's and the chaos of the 60's that ensued.

It's also a bit about Mcleans coming of age, which is not really mentioned on that site.

5. You certainly could be right, the song uses all the iconic events of the time to try to explain his own disallusionment with the way america lost it's innocence at that monumental time of change and seemed to sell it's sole to the devil,incidently for some reason the town of Lubock Texas hated it's most famous son until recently, when the tourist draw finally pushed them into raising a statue to Buddy Holly.

6. I read somewhere that Mclean loathed the "new" music of the sixties, The Beatles, Rolling Stones etal, and the attitudes that came with them, and used the song as a metaphor for the passing of innocence of the fifties, and as mentioned above, the arrival of sixties cynicysm and facile style.

He also felt that the sixties bands shouldnt be encouraging kids to revolt and rebel. Which is a bit daft if you think about it. Im sure when the kids heard Elvis, Little Richard and Chuck Berry they immediately joined the Mormons or became Amish :roll:

Basically, I think he was a grumpy old scrote, lamenting his lost youth.

7. BuggerAll

BuggerAll LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

Both very good McLean and Yankovitch - I also watched Madge's cover and thats good to....

There must be something subliminal about the tune that is just so ggod!

8. Mr Happy

Mr Happy LE Moderator

wtf, its just words and drugged singers.. if it rhymes its in..