The Marlboro Marine

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by jack-daniels, Nov 18, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Attached Files:

2. RP578

RP578 LE Book Reviewer

Reminiscent of Ira Hayes.
  3. An interesting comparison.

Sounds to be coping rather better than poor Chief Falling Cloud did. Though the second Falluja was not Iwo Jima- 6,825 killed amongst the allies and 27,909 casualties rather puts the current nastiness in the shade.
    Miller is getting some sort of life together, not sleeping in a box, he's got some family about him, a job that he's good at. The fondness for motorcycles, booze and firearms isn't exactly asocial in Kentucky. It's exactly how a lot of USAF guys coped with the aftermath of WWII. No such thing as a PTSD discharge back then I think.

The confessional talking cures the Yanks are so fond of did not serve the Vietnam generation very well. I've read one study that reckoned it actually increased the occurrence of psychotic incidents. Sometimes it really is better to let memories scab over and accept normality is long gone.
  4. "Miller's brother Todd, a 21-year-old diesel mechanic, doesn't pretend to understand. 'I'm glad I didn't join the Marines,' Todd said one day. 'I got a nice house, a wife and twin baby daughters and I drive a Durango that's used but damn near new. You're divorced, drive a beat-up pickup and live in a trailer.' On top of that, Todd told his brother, your head is screwed up."

His brother seems to be a bit of an unfeeling cunt though !!!!!
  5. Saintstone, I read it more as a sort of a bewildered toughlove rather than triumphalism. That said they don't seem to be the most functional of families all round.

I found this passage striking though.

6. he did have a point, even though it wasn't put across tactfully, it does illustrate the lack of support for vets and no preparatiion for return to Civilian life, all that Military service and what has he got to show for it ?, $2.500 a month Disability is not much beyond basic living, at least he isn't a victim of the Credit crunch with a $250,000 mortage hanging over his head.
  7. Over here Semper thats more than most people earn a month, it's about £1200 at the current exchange rate. Not begruding him any cent/penny of it but a squaddie over here wouldn't get half that.
  8. the_boy_syrup

the_boy_syrup LE Book Reviewer

Exactly what I was thinking JD
    Dosen't seem a bad pay out to me I'm sure over here he would still be waiting to be assessed whilst MOD tried to wriggle out of paying a penny

$2500 plus civvy job earnings say $4000 a month is that bad?
    IHow much would he have earned as a private in the USMC?
  9. Poor sod.