The Mark of Cain

Anyone see this last week on More 4? (about a week ago i think-Monday?). Was a good drama i think, pretty powerful stuff. Your opinions?

G

Goku

Complete poo and a misrepresentation of reality, I wouldn’t waste my time watching it.
Are you the producer or one of the marketing lackeys?

Worse than that, it denigrates the troops it supposedly represents.

The writer, director and producer should be invited to experience life in a real infantry company

We are in the same territory here as "Bloody Sunday" by Greengrass. Both were a misrepresentation. Those in the know were/are able tear these programs to shreds. However, both were well cast, well directed and looked authentic enough to convince Joe Public that they were factual.

The one useful thing it highlighted is the fact that there have been some bad own goals scored by squaddies with cameras. However it must be said that by far the worst damage here has come from the Septics.

I've said this before on other threads, but the Iraq mission was scuppered when that photo of Pte Lynndie England with a leash round the neck of that poor Iraqi b@stard hit the papers.

SLR (Not to be confused with SLR Boy).

It was the least convincing work of fiction since the 1997 Labour Party election promises.

Mind you, the officers covering their own arses was about right.

Complete trash I'm afraid. I managed about 20 mins before calling it off in favour of doing something less boring in stead. It was well filmed however and many aspects were correct, but why do they use such fags as the actors?

spiffy said:
SelfLoadingRifle said:
.... Pte Lynndie England
Am I the only one to find that piece of Redneck Poontang a damn sexy little minx ?
...yeah, 'fraid so mate.

Also, Mark Of Cain was gash. Made all squaddies out to be thugs and/or cowards.

cmt...hopefully said:
spiffy said:
SelfLoadingRifle said:
.... Pte Lynndie England
Am I the only one to find that piece of Redneck Poontang a damn sexy little minx ?
...yeah, 'fraid so mate.

Also, Mark Of Cain was gash. Made all squaddies out to be thugs and/or cowards.
We are most certainly not cowards, why we are some of the bravest Thugs the world has produced!

Utter shite - saw a copy whilst out in Iraq and thought it made us all look like a bunch of cocks, Squaddies aswell as Officers. I think the comment above by The Cad about "covering their backs" was a bit unecessary aswell - unless the guy in question has had a personal experience that's a hell of a broad brush statement to make - as i saw it, it was the Sgt who did most of the back covering anyway.

Cowhead said:
Utter shite - saw a copy whilst out in Iraq and thought it made us all look like a bunch of cocks, squaddies aswell as Officers. I think the comment above about "covering their backs" was a bit unecessary aswell - unless the guy in question has had a personal experience that's a hell of a broad brush statement - as i saw it it was the Sgt who did most of the back covering anyway.
Oh believe me I've plenty of experience with officers covering their own backs by lying.

Cnuts!

Seen more action...at the QARANC depot on a Saturday night......must go and see the dentist!!!!

All the usual clichés:

Bullying NCOs
Young soldiers bricking in a contact (My young lads were brilliant under fire from the word go.)
Ostracising the TA bloke
Aloof officers covering their own backs
And the old favourite, institutionalised bullying.

What I found particularly offensive was the portrayal of the doctor and padre; disinterested, out of their depth or unsympathetic.

The troops looked like a sack of sh*te (what was all this vest and scrim scarf wearing?). The strike op was farcical, milling about, apparently a full screw running the show and TQing on the spot etc etc.

There was no ounce of sympathy for the Army, just a cross-the-board slating. And the scene of prisoner abuse - Jesus. Collecting scorpions and pushing the detainees face into them, about 5 blokes being beaten by a whole Platoon. The allegations that have been made are have never referred to such festivals of torture. The writer clearly couldn't help himself.

Tripe.

Absolute b*ll*cks!! and the continuity is sh*t as well.
If you happen to have your own copy, check the bit where the young guy who went to see the MO, walks over to his mate on stag at night and in the ensuing cam shots of their conversation, his capbadge goes from above left eye to above right, then back again!! :)

Factual content of near zero. :lol:

I truly believe this programme could do us (the Army) yet more harm when it becomes available in Iraq and the rest of the Middle East, they were selling copies of it in Basra last month - this really won't help our cause out there.

The whole programme was farcical infact, I remember the coke can situation - what a joke, and yeah the way the lads reacted under fire, way way short of the mark.

Fuuuuuuuuuuccccccckkkkkkkkkking Hell

I cannmot believe this is going the rounds on ARRSE yet-a-fecking-gain!

About 4 people in the whole of the UK watched it.

It got reviews in about 3 papers - most of them saying "pants"

. . . and Sven - abandoning his disguise as a guardian of free speech - wanted to mount a campaign to ban it.

AND THIS MUST BE THREAD NUMBER 5 ON THE TOPIC.

Get a life . . . . . go and watch your free daily mail DVD of the Wild Geese FFS.

Aahh, The Wild Geese! Quality viewing. Such was the realism displayed in this celluloid Titan that I took to wearing a maroon beret with my RGJ cap badge and an SAS stable belt.

Until, that is, a full screw battered me to fukc for being a nob.