the mark of cain, channel 4, 2100, thursday!

worth watching?

• yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • no

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
This provocative drama looks at the war in Iraq through the eyes of two men experiencing combat for the first time. Gerard Kearns (shameless) and Matthew McNulty (see no evil) play raw recruits Mark Tate and Shane Gulliver, whose first tour of Iraq ends with them facing charges of torturing prisoners.
As they the join peacekeeping forces, they are told, 'freedom starts with respect'. But the brutal reality of life in Basra tells a very different story.
Despite pressuring to dish out instant 'justice' to a Kuwaiti petrol smuggler, Shane confides in his pal: 'smacking someone when they have their hands behind their backs isn’t neutralising opposition forces it's being a nasty piece of work'.
But he changes his tune after seeing their commanding officer's death: 'they’re insurgents, they're f***ing terrorist - we're at war with these b**tards', he screams.
as the violence intensifies, officers who implicitly ordered them to beat detainees close ranks, leaving young soldiers to take the rap. And before the credits roll, we are informed the film was 'inspired by real-life events'.
Its a chilling thought.
im not sure if it is going to be good, or a load of shite...
could it be another 'Ultimate force'?

Libby Purvis (Times, 31/03/07) says it's objectionable, but a must-view for soldiers, "so as to see what not to turn into". See : http://entertainment.timesonline.co.uk/tol/arts_and_entertainment/tv_and_radio/article1576677.ece

Col. Tim Collins (whose Kuwait speech to 1RIR before Iraq 2 gives the film its title) has said it "will stir up hatred against British soldiers".

The MoD has tried to have screening stopped. See : http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2007/04/01/ndumb101.xml

I think we've just got to watch it, don't you?

maybe a real sodlier should write about the war, im sure there are books about the war (by now) that are pro-army, something like 'over there', (which i found pro-army)

but the sad fact, that making the army look like the 'good' guys, doesnt make people want to watch it... people want any reason to slate the army, and things like this just gives them ammo...

any ideas for a pro-army storie line?

(not this is my number 100 post :) )