The Marine Corps Gunner

This originally caught my eye because he was cooking bacon on a suppressor.

The chaps I know who were USMC are tough b'stards and they have done some stuff, I would not mess with them. Yet when they speak of USMC Gunners they speak in hushed, respectful, tones. I have had tales of one who was so respected he used to sit in his office in Camp Pendleton smoking cigars contrary to Federal and California legislation..............."this is a Gunners office, it is not federal property, or in California" was apparently how it sort of went.

The 'Marine Gunner' is an Infantry Weapons Officer. He is qualified to train Marines on the proper employment of all weapons systems organic to the infantry. That includes, but is not limited to, pistols, rifles, machineguns, rockets, mortars, missles, and explosives. He must also be proficient with all accessories associated with those weapons like day and night optics and laser designators.

Unlike a typical Warrant Officer MOS whos only qualifications for selection are that he is a Sgt (E5) with 8 years of active duty , to qualify for selection as a 'Marine Gunner' you must be a Gunnery Sergeant (E7) with 16 years active duty in the infantry with proven competance accross the range of weapons with which you have been exposed and have served as an Infantry Platoon Sergeant. Upon selection Marines are promoted to the rank of Chief Warrant Officer 2 but a 'Marine Gunner' is always refered to as 'Gunner, never Chief Warrant Officer.

There are about 102 Gunners total in the Corps. After a tour with an Infantry Battalion they move on to billets as Regimental and Division Gunners, Range OIC's and various other positions where they continue to teach infantry skills to Marines. (Borrowed from: We The Armed)

ugly

LE
Its not bacon its strips of pork fat with a really tiny meat content attached. Epic fail.

A gunner's insignia in the event you ever wonder who you may be dealing with

PhotoPictureResizer_191001_131750142-300x300.jpg

ugly

LE
I could have told them that fitting a mod increases MV!

ugly

LE
Still looks like a fun job!

Do you have to salute them?

Its not bacon its strips of pork fat with a really tiny meat content attached. Epic fail.
Which is why I have taken to making my own bacon over here on the frontier.

Sackerson

Old-Salt
Looks very similar to these.

Note: there are two different translations for ‘Ubique’. On the top badge it means ‘everywhere’; on the second it means ‘all over the place’ :)

View attachment 420482

Also of course one of the mottos for the Royal Engineers. As to the second translation, when our Dad (RE) left his posting in Cyprus they made him a wonky plaque with the motto "Near Enough."

Latest Threads