The many faces of a serial conman - Paul Bint

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Mr_Bridger, Oct 26, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. With a pedigree like this he should pay serious consideration to running for office...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/8314475.stm

He has impersonated an aristocrat, a ballet dancer, a banker, a doctor, a playboy and a policeman.

In his latest incarnation, Paul Bint, a homeless conman, took the name of one of Britain's most senior legal minds, Keir Starmer, the director of public prosecutions, to pose as a successful criminal barrister.

Wearing a pin-striped suit and carrying a bundle of papers tied with a ribbon, he managed to convince women he found in lonely hearts adverts that he was a well-connected, wealthy romantic.

In truth, he is a former hairdresser surviving on benefits with a string of convictions who has been given the moniker "King Con" by the tabloid press.

Goldeneye car

With a little research and good acting skills, Bint, 47, wooed women.

He boasted of a friendship with Robbie Williams and a former marriage to British comedy actress Sarah Alexander, the star of Coupling and Green Wing who is actually married to fellow actor Peter Serafinowicz.

He also told them he drove the Aston Martin used in James Bond film Goldeneye and promised to take them on exotic holidays.

And when another man appeared to be competing for one woman's affections, he warned her off by accusing his rival of beating women.

Bint passed himself off as director of public prosecutions Keir Starmer
    On Monday, a jury at Southwark Crown Court found Bint guilty of five counts including theft and fraud by false representation during the weeks he spent posing as a lawyer in April and May this year.

He was cleared of 11 further offences of credit card fraud and driving while disqualified.

The convictions are nothing new however. His 25-year history of offending has seen him con cash, expensive cars and hotel suites out of a string of victims.

Bint's penchant for role play first came to light in 1983, when he was discovered posing as a locum doctor at hospitals in north-west England.

It emerged he groped a woman's breast, saying: "Trust me, I'm a doctor." He also tried to bluff his way into a heart bypass operation.

Later, he moved on to elaborate car scams, often posing as a wealthy aristocrat or businessman interested in top-of-the-range models.

In August 2000, Bint was jailed for nine months at Newcastle Crown Court for conning rail chiefs into putting him up in a luxury hotel by pretending to be a QC in the Lockerbie bombing trial.

Three years later, he tricked a hospital consultant into believing he was Orlando Pownall QC, a prosecuting lawyer in the Jill Dando murder case.

Bint stole £60 and her gold credit card after she let him stay at her Hampstead home to recover from a make-believe car crash.

Bint told women he had been married to actress Sarah Alexander
    At the sentencing, the judge said a psychiatric report concluded that Bint was suffering from an untreatable psychopathic disorder.

Over the years, other people have tried to see into Bint's mind and fathom his motivation.

In the latest trial, prosecutors suggested Bint had been motivated by financial gains, but also by a need to boost his own self-esteem.

Bint, himself, rejected the notion he was a conman, saying he could have stolen "hundreds of thousands" of pounds but never had.

He said pretending made him feel good, even though he knew he was deceiving people.

"It makes me feel very good that someone thinks I am a good person and I'm successful," he told jurors.

His desire to escape his own identity has been linked to an unhappy youth spent in a children's home after his parents split up.

Some years ago, Bint told BBC's Everyman programme: "I would like to stop pretending I am something I am not and accept I am what I am.

"I have spent my life running away from things that are extremely painful to me. Others drink or take drugs to escape, but the way I have done it is by being other people."

But the sincerity of Bint's remarks to the programme remains uncertain.

He also told Everyman about another scam in which he stolen a red Ferrari from an earl. But when programme makers contacted the earl, he said he had never heard of Bint - nor had he ever owned a red Ferrari.

2. His one mistake - nobody, but nobody could hope to match his propensity for knobishness.

3. Perhaps the he didn't read ARRSE's guide to Walting, could have saved himself a lot of bother.

4. That has to be made up. I've tried it myself on many occasions.
    It never worked for me. :twisted:

5. Paul BINT? This has GOT to be a wind-up, surely?

MsG

6. With a surname like his do you think he ever tried to impersonate a woman?

7. So, this pretending to be something he's not to get laid or whatever is it a chargeable offence? What would he be charged with do you think? Would it be deception?

8. Maybe when he comes out after doing his 'Porridge'... he should apply to become a Senior Member of Liarbore Party... he will feel right at home there.... a bunch of lying, thieving con-ster.... knob-headed fackwits... :roll: :roll: :p .. and a few 't1ts.....

9. Good drills.

10. He was jailed a few years ago in Preston for the same stuff

Last Updated: Friday, 10 October, 2003, 21:09 GMT 22:09 UK
    E-mail this to a friend Printable version
    Life of a chameleonic conman
    Aston Martin DB7
    Bint used supercars to lure women
    Paul Bint, who is sentenced on Friday for his latest acts of deception and theft, has led the life of a chameleon.

Using at least 24 aliases, he has committed more than 100 offences stretching back more than two decades.

Dubbed "King Con" by the tabloids, he has passed himself off as a doctor, barrister, aristocrat, playboy, ballet dancer and the Duke of Arundel, among others.

He is so persuasive that a prosecutor pursuing the latest court case against him warned doctors giving him psychiatric examinations not to be duped.

Bint, 41, began his recent crime spree just after being released from jail on 11 December 2002, having served 17 months for posing as a wealthy businessman to steal an Aston Martin car.

He makes [fictional fantasist] Walter Mitty look like a newsreader
    Former defence lawyer for Bint
    On his release, he visited University College Hospital for injuries from a make-believe car crash.

He convinced consultant Annie Park-McGuinness he was Orlando Pownall QC, who prosecuted Barry George for Jill Dando's murder.

Taking pity on Bint, who said he lived alone, Miss Park-McGuinness allowed him to "recuperate" in her Hampstead home - where he stole £60 and a gold credit card.

Using that and another credit card stolen from an elderly man in the hospital, Bint then went on a lavish spending spree which included a date with the elderly man's daughter and a night in a Knightsbridge hotel with another woman.

"I thought he was a respectable and lonely professional," said Miss Park-McGuinness.

"He said he knew many rich and famous people."

'Trust me'

Bint's penchant for role play first came to light in 1983, when it was discovered Bint had posed as a locum doctor while touring hospital wards in the north west of England including Preston and Blackburn.

During one incident he groped a woman's breast using the phrase: "Trust me, I'm a doctor."

Paul Bint
    Bint posed as a bogus doctor
    He also arranged X-rays, attended a man whose lung had collapsed, put stitches into another patient's head wound and tried to bluff his way into a heart by-pass operation.

Bint also told the parents of a 17-year-old girl hurt in a road crash she would live. Six hours later she died.

By the late 1980s he had moved on to elaborate car scams, often posing as a wealthy aristocrat or businessman who was interested in top-of-the-range models.

During one incident he was once arrested on the M1 in a Mercedes which he had managed to secure for a test-drive after claiming that he was the Duke of Arundel.

In 1988, he was sentenced to four years in prison at St Albans Crown Court for conning a salesman out of an £83,000 Ferrari while using the same moniker.

He has also posed as aristocrat "Piers Oppenheimer" to steal a Porsche and brazenly sent Dom Perignon champagne to Koo Stark's table after gate-crashing a party held by Viscount Linley.

This latest case is not the first time Bint has passed himself off as a barrister.

I would like to stop pretending I am something I am not and accept I am what I am
    Paul Bint
    In August 2000, Newcastle Crown Court heard how Bints tricked rail chiefs into putting him up in a luxury hotel after posing as a QC in the Lockerbie bombing trial.

Bint was jailed for nine months for the offence but was back in court the following April.

Some have tried to see into Bint's mind, linking his desire to escape his own identity to an unhappy youth spent in a children's home after his parents split up.

Con or confession?

Bint himself told the BBC's Everyman programme: "I would like to stop pretending I am something I am not and accept I am what I am.

"I have spent my life running away from things that are extremely painful to me. Others drink or take drugs to escape, but the way I have done it is by being other people."

But whether Bint's confession was sincere or not is another question.

He also told Everyman about another elaborate scam in which he stolen a red Ferrari from an earl.

When Everyman contacted the earl, he said he'd never heard of Bint - and he'd never owned a red Ferrari.

linky

11. Who's more foolish? The fool or the fool that follows him?

12. sad to say but theres a film in it... and probably a good one.. just hope he doesnt see any of the profits

13. Why the fcuk would you want to walt that?

14. Think about it most male ballet dancers bat for the other side, so being one of so few in amongst some pretty fit women will have its bonuses

15. Aristocrat: Walting for position in society - to nick money and fine antiques.
    Ballet Dancer: Walting for a shag with all those long legged nice arrsed ladies - let's not forget how flexible they would be...
    Doctor: Walting to feel ladies tits.
    Playboy: Walting to feel ladies tits on a boat in Monaco harbour.
    Policeman: Walting because he's been rumbled and needs a way out of it sharpish - or he just likes the sound of the sirens on his car and that he can legally run red lights.

Aristocrat and Policeman are definitely well naughty but I think the Ballet Dancer, Doctor and Playboy walts are something we should all be trying out.