The Man with Half a Brain

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by visitingrock, Jan 13, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. oldbaldy

oldbaldy LE Moderator Good Egg (charities)
    1. Battlefield Tours

I saw this on Sky news yesterday.
    An amazing story.
    And truly amazing what can be done these days.
  2. Your link does not run the video, am I doing something wrong
  3. Grandad, who ended his working life as a nurse in a prison used to tell a story about a young soldier, UDR I think, brought to his orderly room with a serious bullet wound to the head. This would have been during the really rough years ...Early '70's.

He said that there was a portion of the back of the guys skull missing and brain matter on his clothing etc. They thought he was all but dead but did what they could in terms of aid/support until he was lifted out.

Apparently he met the guy again less than a year later and the sole consequence of the injury was that he had developed a marked stammer.
  4. Fang_Farrier

Fang_Farrier LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

remember being told at university that one of first Prefrontal lobotomies was accidental and by an american navvy building railroads in 19th century. Guy was a bit violent and very quick tempered.

Whilst working clearing land he was having difficulty getting a piece of explosive down a drilled hole so he smacked it hard with a crowbar, The resulting explosion blew the crowbar up through his head, entering under his chin, pushing his tongue out of the way and thus not damaging it, through his palate, and then exited the top of his skull, just behind his hairline.

As he was still alive the surgeons decided best option was mearly to saw off the crowbar, top of head and roof of mouth.

He lived for a couple of decades more fairly normally but was now as docile as a lamb.
  5. Didnt one of the officers in the falklands lose half his brain (I know I know I am waiting for the jokes) but because of the low temperatures, he survived and wasnt there a TV programme about him ??
  6. Fang_Farrier

Fang_Farrier LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

guards officer, I think, stood up at wrong time and took round to head. Lived, can't remember his name.
  7. Robert Lawrence, Scots Guards.

A film was made about him, TV drama type I recall.
  8. Scots Guards was he not?
  9. I remember seeing something about battlefield medicine on the TV. Apparently fewer injured soldiers died in the Falklands compared to Vietnam because of the lower temperatures and also because they weren't immediately provided with IV drips, both of which contributed to their blood pressure remaining low and allowed a certain amount of clotting to take place before they were able to receive professional medical treatment. It was a while ago now that I saw this, so I could be wrong but I'm sure that was the jist of it.