The Man Who Wouldnt Drown

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by Rocketeer, Aug 28, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Whilst doing some research on another matter I came across this astounding bit of history trivia..

Franklin Tower.. survived the sinking of the Titanic, April 14, 1912....became a stoker aboard the Empress of Ireland and survived the sinking of said ship on May 29, 1914..then survived the sinking of the Lusitania May 7, 1915 after it was torpedoed by a German submarine off the Irish coast...

wonder how he was at a game of cards...
  2. Does anyone know if he had a favourite set of six numbers, between 1 and 49 ???

If so, we can share.

3. 14, 4, 12 and 5, 7, 15 - obviously!!
  4. That's it i will send you percentage!!!
  5. Who says being on three ships that sink is good luck? Some sailors manage to go through a whole career without their ship sinking under them... that's lucky. I mean, it's late 1915 and Stoker Tower joins his next ship and you are also a member of the crew. Who's going to get thrown overboard at the first oppertunity? That's right.... that Jinx Tower.... how lucky is that?
  6. PMSL never quite thought of it in that way, either send him overboard or make him retire.

edited for pressing the return key by mistake and using my thumbs to press the keys.
  7. There's a woman who was a maid/nurse in several shipping fleets, who was on the Titanic (hit an iceburg), Brittanic (hit a mine in the Med) and the Gigantic (which, I recall, struck a warship off the Isle of Wight). Her life was detailed in a book - can't find it at the mo - which I think is called "Titanic Survivor" (But it covers more than just that incident).
  8. I recall a certain Gunner RALONGS in the Falklands who managed to join two ships which sank and one hit by an Exocet....