The Man Who Would Be King

Discussion in 'Films, Music and All Things Artsy' started by crabby, Jan 7, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Just bought this on DVD - am ashamed not to have owned since I was old enough to understand money/thievery. Outfcukingstanding!!!
    "We are not Gods, we are Englishmen, which is the next best thing"
    Anyone else hold this film in the highest regard?
  2. "Now listen to me you benighted muckers. We're going to teach you soldiering. The world's noblest profession. When we're done with you, you'll be able to slaughter your enemies like civilized men." - fantastic film. First saw it when I was ten. Spent the rest of the day looking for Kafiristan on the atlas. A necessary addition to any dvd collection!
  3. Watched it at the cinema when I was 11/12 years old, got it on video somewhere. A cracking tale :D
  4. BBear

BBear LE Reviewer

It's superb!

"Come, let us find safety in battle..."
  5. Ah yes, how could I forget that bit; I laughed so hard a bit of wee shot into my boxers
  6. "Now, now... different countries, different ways."

Love that movie!
  7. First saw it in the cinema. Its a sunday afternoon classic. Online book here
  8. Best film ever? Maybe not but damn close to the bar!
  9. Indeed, one of my all-time favorite movies!
    One of the few instances that the movie is on par with the "book" (a short story, actually)
  10. excellent book and brilliant adaptation....wanted to call 1st born 'Peachy' but Mrs GB was having none of it!

Crabby, i second your quote, as being the best all time movie quote ever, spoken to, IIRC 'Billy-Fish' a Gurka left behind by a previous Garrison!
  11. Great film. Can remember seeing it as a kid and having to ask my old man to explain the Masonic bit near the start after Michael Caine's pick-pocketing.

John Huston planned the film back in the 1930s, intending it for Clark Gable and Humphrey Bogart I think. I reckon we got the better version and casting with two ex-British servicemen in the roles (...even if Connery was RN).
  12. The main reason I proposed to the wife is that she had seen the film 6 times and brought the vid around unprompted on our third date! Not bad for a NY WASP.
  13. what a brilliant film - saw it when i was small. bought it when it as soon as it came out on dvd. cant believe that so few people have ever seen it!
  14. Absolutley a top class film.
  15. You'll be able to perform the manual at arms without thinking, for a good soldier does not think, he just obeys. Do you reckon if a man thought for one minute he'd risk his life for Queen and Country? Not bloody likely, he wouldn't go near the battlefield!

Top film, totally quotetastic.