The man playing South Africas death card

Discussion in 'Southern Africa' started by Blogg, Apr 10, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. There is indeed no limit to human greed and stupidity. Even if only half true, bodes very ill indeed: Mugabe Mk II

"It could be that President Zuma has simply lost control of the ANC, or that Malema is the puppet he uses to mouth ideas too radical to emerge from the presidency. If you ask me, Malema is the point-man for a powerful ANC faction whose motive is greed and whose chosen weapon is racial demagoguery of the most primitive kind.

The trouble is that this card trumps all others. Our underclass is huge, poorly educated and desperately poor. They know what happened in Zimbabwe, but even so, the prospect of loot is irresistible, and that's Malema's bait. Mandela gave them free houses. Mbeki gave them welfare grants, leading to a situation where five million taxpayers support 13 million indigents, with the total rising far more rapidly than our ability to pay. Now Malema and the faceless vultures behind him are offering them the rest. They are playing the death card, the Ace of Spades. "
  2. It's very unfortunate that Malan refers to the 'Ace of Spades'. Maybe this was an oversight, or maybe he hasn't really shaken off his apartheid heritage.
    Either way, I think he was wrong to name that card, surely it should have been the Knave (which unless you've got the Benny, is a winner).
  3. Ace of Spades is interpreted as the death symbol in Tarot card reading
  4. I don't know much about Tarot cards, but I do know that Spades is not one of either the major or minor Arcana. The minor Arcana consists of, I believe, Wands, Swords, Cups and Pentacles, and the two cards associated with death ('The Hanging Man' and 'Death') are part of the major Arcana, all of which are not suited.
  5. Thanks for posting this pertinant piece.
    Rian Malan is the scion of one of the founders of apartheid and is one of the best writers
    on South African affairs today.
    His first book "My Traitor's Heart" was an excellent testament of an Afrikaner questioning his roots.
    However, all that is rather academic history now, and Malan is correct to focuss on how the ANC handles Malema
    with its discordant trible & monied factions as a bell-weather of what is to follow.
  6. Some interesting stuff there, but all US based. I did a search of, and got less than 400 hits for ace of spades death. By the time I got to the eightieth, I was getting hits that had some significant separation between the word 'ace' and the word 'spade'. There is much evidence to show that the term 'Ace of Spades' is synonymous with 'the Race Card' in South Africa, but nothing to link it with 'the Death Card'.

The inference is therefore that Malan is being both racist and deliberately disingenuous, which seems to go against how he is normally viewed. My first reading of the article painted a picture of an Afrikaner with stereotypical views, and despite what I have read about Malan, I cannot see past that image of him.

7. Hmmmm, sounds like a labour heartland in UK.
  8. I don't understand his numbers; how can a nation of 47 million have “five million taxpayers support 13 million indigents,” are there 29 million people who are neither tax payers or indigents?
  9. [​IMG]
    • Like Like x 2
  10. I want that tshirt. Of course nobody here would get it, but you've got to represent, right?!
  11. At the end of the day this is their country and we should leave it to them to decide what to do. What we should also do is withdraw all aid and let them get on with it. They don't like non africans but they want their money. Let run their country as they see fit and we can sit back and count the aid money that we save.
  12. Schaden

Schaden LE Book Reviewer

Malema will either end up dead or running the country. Probably dead.
  13. Biped

Biped LE Book Reviewer

It matters not whether it's Malema or someone else; within the next 20 years, South Africa will be a basketcase being run by despots that nobody apart from criminals and mercenaries will be making any money in.

What will be deafening is the silence of the anti-apartheid crowd in the UK over the issue of the failure of the indigenous population to manage itself. They won't care that the people of South Africa are starving, that the place will by just like Zimbabwe, except with a lot more weapons. They will of course be shouting ever so loudly about how we should allow the poor suffering and starving South Africans (only the black ones mind you) into the UK as they will be escaping persecution in their own country . . . . . . . and how it's all the fault of the white people that black people in South Africa are killing and oppressing both whites and blacks.
  14. Both...

Black aces and black eights are the so-called dead man's hand...being what "Wild Bill" Hickock was holding on the fateful day he became dead wood in Deadwood!