The Loyal Toast (foreign guests)

Gecko

Old-Salt
What's the etiquette for foreign guests at a mess do (and similar) when the Loyal Toast is proposed? Are they to stand and toast, but not utter the 'The Queen' phrase, or are they exempt from toasting altogether?

Talking about civilian guests, btw, in an unofficial capacity, so their heads of state will not be toasted separately.

Etiquette demands that they respond to the toast as they would to their national toast. If they are civilians, there is no etiquette.

The etiquette is as AoS states-in general foreigners should do as we do - remember that water should be available if they are of non-alcoholic persuasions (same as for non drinking brits). The Queen (National Anthem etc). Sit down. If the guest of honour is a foreigner then toast their head of state - PMC 'Mr Vice, The president/king/etc of Wherever (National anthem of Wherever and all toast the Pres/king as per our Queen). If other foreigners remain or there is a general mixed bag, then the toast is 'The Heads of State here represented' with no music and the response from the diners is 'The Heads of State'

I PMC'd several international functions so if you want to know how to make the evening go with style then PM me with the outline and I'll be happy to offer my tup'ny worth.

What's the etiquette for foreign guests at a mess do (and similar) when the Loyal Toast is proposed? Are they to stand and toast, but not utter the 'The Queen' phrase, or are they exempt from toasting altogether?

Talking about civilian guests, btw, in an unofficial capacity, so their heads of state will not be toasted separately.

They follow whatever the PMC (or whoever it is on the night) direction. I've done a few NATO functions, no-one has a "you cant tell me what to do" attitude because they know it would be the last British function they will ever attend. Just as you know the score when invited to any foreign function.

Gecko

Old-Salt
I PMC'd several international functions so if you want to know how to make the evening go with style then PM me with the outline and I'll be happy to offer my tup'ny worth.
Thank you, very kind of you.

This is not my function, though. A Norwegian lady friend is to attend a Mess do as a girlfriend, and knows there will be a loyal toast, and is wondering what she should do, so as not to, effectively, offend her own King. In the first instance, I told her to ask her boyfriend to consult the PMC regarding the rules, but just in case he doesn't, I thought I'd check with the knowledgeable people on this site.

Thank you, very kind of you.

This is not my function, though. A Norwegian lady friend is to attend a Mess do as a girlfriend, and knows there will be a loyal toast, and is wondering what she should do, so as not to, effectively, offend her own King. In the first instance, I told her to ask her boyfriend to consult the PMC regarding the rules, but just in case he doesn't, I thought I'd check with the knowledgeable people on this site.

She does the same as everyone else, like everyone else on the planet when invited to a foreign function.

Something springs to mind about nor gees and our royalty. I bet google could answer it! Or I bet quick cal to the embassy would solve it! She may even get some gizzits!!

Gecko

Old-Salt
She does the same as everyone else, like everyone else on the planet when invited to a foreign function.
You see, I don't think so. If invited to a function at the Russian Embassy and being foolish enough to accept, I'd not feel comfortable drinking a loyal toast to Putin...

You see, I don't think so. If invited to a function at the Russian Embassy and being foolish enough to accept, I'd not feel comfortable drinking a loyal toast to Putin...

Then you would be a bit off a tit going in the first place then wouldnt you? What do you think happens? Guests show disrespect "cos they know their rights"?
This is posted is the Int cell, I assume neither you or your Norwegian friend are in the armed forces, because its a fairly stupid question.

You are toasting the Head of State in their capacity as representative of the country. In effect you would be toasting your Host. Whether or not you like the person or not is immaterial. The Russians, to use your example, place great cultural and historical significance on toasting and refusing to toast the President would be seen as a serious insult to the Country.

Gecko

Old-Salt
You are toasting the Head of State in their capacity as representative of the country. In effect you would be toasting your Host. Whether or not you like the person or not is immaterial. The Russians, to use your example, place great cultural and historical significance on toasting and refusing to toast the President would be seen as a serious insult to the Country.
Ah, thank you. I think we were, perhaps, a bit too hung up on the word 'loyal'.

The Norwegian lady is very fond of HM, who once smiled at her at a garden party, so didn't really see a problem, thinking it more a toast for her health and happiness, but was worried that it might be inappropriate.

Latest Threads