Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

The Lost Tribes of Humanity, or how human are you?

You see, there isn't a real Gaelic word for "helicopter". Just a word copied from English, spoken in a rough uncouth accent,
The word Helicopter was copied from the French hélicoptère, and said in a less sexy way. The French made it up from two Greek words, which essentially means the Ancient Greeks invented the helicopter.

A big problem looming in the US concerning genes, far too many people are spitting in a bottle and getting their genes traced. Some have done it as whole families. On Radio four the other day there were interviews with fathers of children who discovered they were not the fathers at all!

There is a saying.
"Maternity is a fact. Paternity is an opinion".

Many a family has an unexpected cuckoo in the nest.

A big problem looming in the US concerning genes, far too many people are spitting in a bottle and getting their genes traced. Some have done it as whole families. On Radio four the other day there were interviews with fathers of children who discovered they were not the fathers at all!

Just in case anyone is interested, the BBC has also published an article.

The Christmas present that could tear your family apart The Christmas present that could tear your family apart

Just this year I was contacted by a chap of 72 who had just discovered that my great uncle (1890-1981), who was his godfather, was in fact his real father. I would like to ask, but it might be tactless, what was it that made this 'new' cousin of mine send off for a test in the first place. It's all gen, Mrs S dug up a photo of g-uncle's 1919 wedding and the likeness is remarkable. A huge can of worms for the new cousin re who to tell, or not, and how.

Perhaps you shouldn't tell anyone what such researches have revealed. What good would it do? It's all in the past. Nothing can be done about it now.

To take an example, suppose someone offered you irrefutable DNA evidence that you weren't truly the offspring of your beloved father, but only the product of a brief morning liaison between your mum and the visiting milkman.

Would you welcome this information?

Perhaps you shouldn't tell anyone what such researches have revealed. What good would it do? It's all in the past. Nothing can be done about it now.

To take an example, suppose someone offered you irrefutable DNA evidence that you weren't truly the offspring of your beloved father, but only the product of a brief morning liaison between your mum and the visiting milkman.

If my beloved father was porphyric, probably.

Not if the milkman was ginger.

I suppose that, as you imply, ginger milkmen used to have fruitful opportunities to propagate their genes.

But nowadays we all buy milk from other sources. Is that why ginger hair is seen less frequently?

This has popped into my extended family recently only it was a squaddie home on leave in 1953 not the milkman. Nothing to do with genetic tests but X decided to tell Y before Z died. As a result a couple of old and in one case dying people have managed to get pretty upset with each other. I can understand youngsters finding out wanting to go public to trace their biological parent but when everyone concerned is over 60 it all seems a bit late to me.

The word Helicopter was copied from the French hélicoptère, and said in a less sexy way. The French made it up from two Greek words, which essentially means the Ancient Greeks invented the helicopter.
There's a cultural appropriation joke in there somewhere.

On a more serious note it's interesting to see what colours your language has real words for [as opposed to just copying the English or Latin word in a funny accent]. This says a lot about how your ancient culture saw colours and there are some very interesting experiments as to why some cultural groups cannot see the difference between two colors that are obvious to others. Your language and your perception of reality are very closely linked.

Please do check out Graham Hancock's work on ancient civilizations, or (any of his work for that matter). I find his stuff mind blowing and it blows away many assumptions made by mainstream archaeologists.