The Lord Flasheart

Discussion in 'ARRSE: Site Issues' started by Bad CO, Apr 9, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Bad CO

Bad CO LE Admin Reviews Editor Gallery Guru

Clearly Flashy's ban is something of a hot topic of the moment so I thought I'd make a few things clear.

1. This didn't just happen out of the blue. Both GCO and myself have previously asked him on a number of occasions (lots!) not to post personal details on the site. I gave him a final warning and he chose to ignore it.

2. We're sorry to see him go as he has contributed a great deal over the years but we're not willing to let one of the oldest site rules be continually and deliberately breached. This is in everyone's interests - would you like it if I let you name, address & username be posted on here? I certainly recall Flashy being exceptionally quick to get in touch when his details were posted by BB.

3. A while ago Flashy resigned as a moderator as he disagreed with our policy over 'site trolls.' That was fair enough and I respected his decision - if not his point of view. Trying to force our hand though was completely out or order.

4. If you want to discuss what to do about site trolls then please do so in this thread.

I'd be grateful if posts in this thread could be kept on topic as I'll have to delete them otherwise.
  2. is it a permanent ban?
  3. Auld-Yin

Auld-Yin LE Reviewer Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

Bad CO

I think that the reasons have been more or less explained over the past couple of days, not the least by our resident Troll. However, it seems somewhat harsh to completely ban someone rather than just putting them in the "Sin Bin" for a week or so.

Also it is a bit strange that once banned there is nothing to stop that person returning under a new moniker.

A couple of suggestions have been made , one being that to join a person should have a valid and checkable e-mail address. I realise that it is impractical for every person to be vetted prior to joining and would perhaps go against the ethos of Arrse. You are therefore in a bit of a lose-lose situation.

What caused the stooshie (if I may slip into the local patois) was the fact that yet again something has happened without explanation. One minute he is on site, next thing he is gone, as though shot down by the Red Baron over the Western Front.

Now I have had a bit of fun over the weekend and I do appreciate your point of view but the POV of many Arrsers is - 'Yep we see Flashy has been naughty but so what - he is an asset to the site' and it looks like he has gone in deference to a Troll.

Bring him back to the site (not that he has gone far) and publicly humiliate him, strip him of his Arrse decorations or any other sanction, but to ban sine die does seem a tad harsh.

Just my thoughts.
  4. I'm seriously gobsmacked... did I do that? If so it must have been one of my first naive posts and I'm very sorry.
  5. Whats stopping Flashy coming back into Arrse.

Same Avator, signature block and slighty different user name???

Will you ban him again???
  6. Boss,

Flashy may have been out of order HOWEVER ..... edited as off topic
  7. Fugly

Fugly LE DirtyBAT

If Flashy's reincarnation is instanty ejected, the fact that the cause of his demise is tolerated smacks of hypocrisy in the highest.

Edited as off topic
  8. Bad CO

Perhaps it's worth reinforcing the point.....

This didn't just happen out of the blue ......

.... we asked him nicely - he ignored us.
    ..... we asked him nicely (again) - he ignored us (again).
    ...... we used a bit firmer language - guess what happened?
    ...... Finally I made it very, very clear what would happen the next time - I was ignored.

Hopefully you can see that this isn't just a slap on the wrist for a first time offence.

Please put discussions about controlling registration of users on the other thread.
  9. Bad Co, my compliments for hosting what has been, up till now, one of the best forums on the web. I respect that this is your train-set and you can ban whoever you wish.

In this instance I believe you have got it wrong. Edited as off topic
    S_B Out
  10. Bad CO

Guys I can't spend all day editing threads so if this one continues to go off topic I'll just bin it.

Please bear in mind that
    Posting ANYONE'S personal details on ARRSE is against site rules no matter who they are
  11. Fugly

Fugly LE DirtyBAT

Appreciated Boss, but prevention is better than cure.

If the certain repeat offender to be discussed elsewhere was kept off the site a bit better, maybe you wouldn't have had to ask him so often.
  12. Auld-Yin

Auld-Yin LE Reviewer Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

We realise this and Porridge Gun made that point to us. Perhaps if you had put some of this to the Arrse community then he could have been sorted out by us. Even if you, or a MOD had posted something along those lines then people would have understood. It would probably have resulted in a similar reaction but at least all would have been up front.

If anything comes of this I hope it is to teach Arrsers that regardless of how long they have been with the site rules is rules.

A Y
  13. Dear Bad CO clearly its your train set and not a democracy also Flash has pushed too the very edge without a doubt, Porridge gun has also made this clear as well as explaining why you have taken some time too reply.

Honestly time off? your be asking for a life next!

However i would like to hope you could perhaps give him one last chance! as he does bring something too ARRSE!

Yours faithfully Maria
    • Like Like x 1
    • Old Old x 1
  14. BAD.....

Please bring back our Flashy... pretty please...
  15. Well Flashy is still there in his MkII persona; I just hope that he will still wish (and want!) to post in his original style, its been said before that this is not our train set and I for one will have to accept that.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.