The Long Walk - Fact or fiction

I read this book years ago when it was doing the rounds in BBK. I must admit I personally found it incredibly far fetched and took most of it with a pinch of salt. Others however were convinced it was gospel.

Radio 4, 2000 (might be 2030) tonight (30/10) are doing a feature on it for anyone who is interested.

Long Walk may have been ramble

It is the epic story of an escape from a Soviet Gulag and evasion of enemy patrols in sub-zero temperatures.

The Long Walk, Slavomir Rawicz’s account of his journey over the Himalayas from Siberia to India, has inspired generations of explorers. But new evidence suggests that it is a work of fiction.

Rawicz, who died in 2004, always claimed that the book was accurate but documents discovered in a Russian archive show that, far from escaping, he was granted an official pardon. Tim Whewell, a former BBC Moscow correspondent, had set out to celebrate the 50th anniversary of the book by interviewing people involved in the story, but found that surviving records contradicted Rawicz’s account.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/newspaper/0,,170-2427982,00.html

Latest Threads