The London Jocks

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by mushroom, Oct 31, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Seeing as how no-one else has mentioned it. Today is the anniversary of the first TA unit to be committed to battle. London Scottish, Ypres 1914.
  2. I will raise a glass to them in their memory
  3. Same day as the Worcesters make a bayonet charge that saves the Army at Gheluveldt
  4. Poppy, you must know the picture of Hallowe'en '14 from your training nights in the Drill Hall! There will be a load of sore heads in Horseferry Road and other places tomorrow morning - I've been there before and regretted not having taken a day off the day after!
  5. Actually it wasn't at Ypres but Messines ridge as part of 4 Cav Bde. I think they were the only unit to see action on the old organisation of 8 rifle coys.

To resonate today, they had 2 MMGs, the most modern in the BEF, the latest mark of Vickers, but they were bn property having been purchased by the bn! However, they also had a problem with their rifles, the mk of .303 ammo had to be hand loaded into the breach, couldn't be loaded from the magazine.

On the 15 Nov the bn parade state was 280 all ranks, from a bn over 1000 strong. By this time they'd joined 1 Bde, 5 bns including the Scottish, establishment over 5000 actual strength 753 all ranks.

For the record the others were:
    1 Cold - 0 & 150
    1 SG - 1 & 69
    1 BW - 1 & 109
    1 Cameron - 3 & 140

Bde HQ had lost 2 comds and 1 BM.

And people wonder why they dug trenches!
  6. Ventress

Ventress LE Moderator

It saved the Empire.