the list

Discussion in 'Jobs (Discussion)' started by milkybar, Dec 5, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. is it worth joining the list...

just wondering if any of you have used it...

2. I've used it an enormous amount since I left and can't reccomend it highly enough.

Wasn't sure what I wanted to get into so spoke to people in a variety of industries/ positions. I don't think a single one didn't offer helpful advice. Most were happy to go further and offer to look over my CV/meet up for a chat/ pass my details on and some offered me their spare bed/ sofa for interviews. You get a good range of guys - some recently out, some ex Colonels in very senior positions etc, all willing to lend a hand.

One of the most important things, for me, is/was encouragement because job-hunting can be pretty dispiriting. To be able to speak to someone whose made the transition, able to relate to the stress and worry of it and offer positive advice is invaluable. Haven't attended the Liquid List meetings, but I've heard good things about them also.

Can't remember how much it is, but its definately worth it. Various friends who've left think equally highly of it.

If you trawl through the threads on this Forum as well you might also find people worth PMing. I did - Thanks Arrse_Civvie and Mattress_Back.

3. Seconded. Excellent.

4. Yes I used the list as a result got head hunted and am now in a dream of a job.

5. what list and how can i view it?

6. http://www.thelistuk.com/

Basically The List is a well known resettlement/ networking service for ex-Forces. For free you can enter your details onto their database and search through jobs advertised. Unlike some other websites the jobs are predominantly very specifically for ex-forces, and generally NCO/Officer level.

You could stick at that level but really its foolish. The much greater strength of The List is found if you pay a relatively small fee (can't remember how much off the top of my head) and get a copy of their database on CD. Using this you can browse through as you like. For example you can search for guys who've been in your regiment, are in a job field you'd like advice on, or work for companies you'd like to build up a profile with/ learn about in depth. You can then get in contact - as I mentioned earlier in my experience everyone was very helpful. Whether you've only a very vague idea of what to go into, want to target specific companies for jobs or are in business and looking to network its great.

The List also host "Liquid List" meetings (in London, Salisbury, Edinburgh and Lancashire) where you turn up with some business cards for a presentation followed by drinks and a chat.

I bought the CD after I left but basically you'd be a fool (as I was) not to get a copy as soon as you think of leaving. The RCMO will bang on about preparing as early as possible and he's right. Its too easy to think more about next week and the next month or two at most until your date is quite close. If you get a copy early then with an hour or two of emails a week you can narrow down what you want to do, work out how best to approach it, market yourself to Army friendly/aware employers and, most importantly, dig into the "hidden job market" which everyone bangs on about.

I can't think of any other single thing which can ease resettlement so much. Personally, for me, it gave me confidence and prevented me committing to several blind alleys. It also brought me the job I've just accepted. Log on and get a copy - rant over!

7. I am a class one LCpl is the list more orientated towards senior ranks or is it woth my while paying for it still?
    thanks

8. Rank is immaterial. The List is used by people to source talent as well as by jobseekers, and the database (as C_C says) is a highly useful tool for anyone, as your search options are so varied.

9. Just watch out for the Ponce that will call you and try and get you involved in a MLM scheme.

10. ...which nobody in his right mind would get involved in. I had a neighbour some years ago, a former RN type, whose wife decided that this would be her way to a quick fortune. Bad move; lost a lot of hard-earned pennies. Don't let them fool you, folks.

11. Hi LAIT

Just a quick tip - LinkedIn is very much where its at now, I don't really see much value in The List. The database is rarely updated and comparatively basic. Yes it has the advantage that people volunteer to be on it and are therefore warm leads but to be honest 80% of ex-servicemen you get in touch with on LinkedIn will be equally supportive. Worth going along to the networking events ( although with the economy in its current state you won't see much recruitment ) on the off chance, but otherwise best to see the Officers Association asap and start working LinkedIn like a demon.

I strongly reccommend the Manchester Business School AMAC course - expensive but worthwhile. Gives you a good overview of key business concepts & tools and most of all demonstrates on your CV that you appreciate the gaps in your knowlege and are working to address them.

Finally, I would urge huge caution to anyone considering leaving the Army at the moment. Its one thing to realise that times are tough outside, its another to live it. I rejoined the Army to learn Dari and go to Afghanistan on an FTRS and am now job-searching. Mate, it is hard. There is no doubt that you are probably a very worthwhile guy to have on the books of any organisation, but money is tight. I have been working my arse off, and am still looking. I have been turned down for very few jobs - with the others its been a case of meetings and interviews, getting close, and then being told "you're great but we've no money, stay in touch" and one job that fell through a week before I was meant to start.

That said your personal circumstances may dictate that you have to leave, as in my case, in which case grit your teeth and start spending as much time as possible right now researching your options and building up the right contacts.

Good luck!

Charlie