The Lion, the Witch and...

Discussion in 'The NAAFI Bar' started by Brevet, Jun 2, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. According to one view of history, a reason for the 1930s British Union of Fascists not getting traction in the way that similar movements did on the Continent was that the British public found the leadership, the uniforms, the posturing (etc) ridiculous. Sir Oswald Mosley was satirised by PG Wodehouse as Roderick Spode, running the "Black Shorts."

The followers, however, were probably beyond satire; much like the current EDL. These are the chaps who march with banners to ban burkas whilst keeping their faces covered with EDL masks. They get themselves pictured doing Nazi salutes in front of the cross of St George to demonstrate their Britishness. They demand the use of English in "ARE COUNTRY".

I thought I had seen it all until discovering that they also have it in for the fictional world of Narnia:

edl.jpg

• Like Like x 5
  2. please assure us that was photoshopped.......................

3. A bit of poor language education beats the shit out of demanding that those who don't agree with their ideology are beheaded.

4. There was enough doubt to put this in the NAAFI rather than Current Affairs.

Apparently there is also a picture also somewhere on the interweb of a protester in Westminster Square who had a problem with state control by "CI5". If an anti-establishment johnny is still aggrieved by the influence of a 1980s television show he should either get out more or not at all.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Let's hope so.

I fear that poorly educated people might be easily manipulated ...

6. I've think that there are some EDL who cannot spell 'Islam', but I'm as sure as fuck that none of them have ever even heard of Aslan.

7. It is. Badly.

8. or PG Wodehouse for that matter. Satire may be above them, but it can keep the rest of us sane.

There is a surprisingly good Wikipaedia entry on Spode; it's worth lifting a whole section thus:

Spode is modelled after Sir Oswald Mosley, leader of the British Union of Fascists, who were nicknamed the blackshirts. Spode was at first an 'amateur dictator' who led a farcical group of fascists called the Saviours of England, better known as the Black Shorts. Spode adopted black shorts as a uniform because, according to Gussie Fink-Nottle in The Code of the Woosters, "by the time Spode formed his association, there were no shirts left", (alluding to various fascist or right-wing groups – Mussolini's Blackshirts, Hitler's brownshirts, the Irish Blueshirts and Greenshirts, the South African Greyshirts, Mexico's Gold shirts, and the American Silver Shirts). Bertie Wooster believes that wearing black shorts is an extreme social and sartorial faux pas (shorts being inappropriate for a grown man outside a sporting context) and uses it to make fun of Spode:

The trouble with you, Spode, is that just because you have succeeded in inducing a handful of half-wits to disfigure the London scene by going about in black shorts, you think you're someone. You hear them shouting "Heil, Spode!" and you imagine it is the Voice of the People. That is where you make your bloomer. What the Voice of the People is saying is: "Look at that frightful ass Spode swanking about in footer bags! Did you ever in your puff see such a perfect perisher?"

—P. G. Wodehouse, Bertie Wooster in The Code of the Woosters,1938

• Like Like x 1
  9. But thankfully in cases like this hard to motivate.

10. Well that made me laff. :p :p

11. TheIronDuke

TheIronDuke LE Book Reviewer

Nobody ever got poor by underestimating the stupidity of the British public.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Mr_Fingerz

Mr_Fingerz LE Book Reviewer

Unless they're Belfast printers doing work for the BNP.